× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

meisMike
Aspirant

I bought  my RAX40 several months ago. I had same problems as in this thread so I found this forum. I could not screw with the many users in my house, so I went back to my previous wifi+router. I am following here in hope of solution eventually. I am posting now just to make it known that Netgear dropped the ball with this product & their pay-for-customer-service scheme. I hope they can turn this situation around and salvage their reputation. Thanks to all the other posters for their time & perseverance to get this resolved. I am sure there are many other dissatisfied customers that just walked away & will never be heard from.

Message 226 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@meisMike wrote:

I bought  my RAX40 several months ago. I had same problems as in this thread so I found this forum. I could not screw with the many users in my house, so I went back to my previous wifi+router. I am following here in hope of solution eventually. I am posting now just to make it known that Netgear dropped the ball with this product & their pay-for-customer-service scheme. I hope they can turn this situation around and salvage their reputation. Thanks to all the other posters for their time & perseverance to get this resolved. I am sure there are many other dissatisfied customers that just walked away & will never be heard from.

i actually had no choice but to perservere as I couldn't return my router for something else. I've been testing 2 versions of the beta firmware over the course of the last 4 weeks and the latest build is rock solid. I've provided my L2 support rep with my feedback and hopefully he feeds it through to the engineering team so that they can do final tweaks and provide a public release.

Message 227 of 390

@itsmehuey 

can you tell me which beta versions you are testing?
I would like to know if there is a more recent version.
I installed version V1.0.3.83_1.0.2 (got it from italian support) and I still have problems with DHCP: after days it stops assigning addresses.
I think the problem is due to the EAX20's presence on the same network (always Netgear) and the Smartconnect and AX settings active.
I wanted to send the logs but the Italian support was in a hurry to close the ticket, I think they are evaluated based on how long a ticket remains open.

Another problem I see is that if I restart both EAX20 and RAX40, the first one starts in dhcp server mode even if set as access point (why??? maybe this product has its problems too, sigh!) and being the RAX40 slower at boot time it finds another active dhcp server and it creates chaos.
I am therefore forced to boot them in a certain order.

What a mess...

Message 228 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Gioel_Assecondi V1.0.3.83_1.0.6 which had one wifi dropout few minutes after install and V1.0.3.83_1.0.10 which has been working perfectly over the last week.
Message 229 of 390
carminea
Star

Maybe its time for class action suit

They are sold us defective router and firmware and they obviously know about it but pretend not to
Message 230 of 390
MrSndman
Aspirant

Having the same issue with wifi disconnects. I've really enjoyed this router until now. In the same boat as many people where I'm working from home. Moved the router so I'm direct connected to my work computer at the moment so the disconnects don't kill me in the middle of a call. Hoping they release a new firmware update soon. Keep getting an error with the download of the old .64 firmware version that the file is corrupt.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 231 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@MrSndman wrote:

Having the same issue with wifi disconnects. I've really enjoyed this router until now. In the same boat as many people where I'm working from home. Moved the router so I'm direct connected to my work computer at the moment so the disconnects don't kill me in the middle of a call. Hoping they release a new firmware update soon. Keep getting an error with the download of the old .64 firmware version that the file is corrupt.

try download the .64 fw again, or use another browser to download. Also, as a beta tester of the beta firmware, i've provided all my feedback to the engineers and now it's up to them to release an udpated firmware. current beta i'm on has been solid for over a week.

Message 232 of 390
vijaygopal81
Tutor

After many days of chat on FB messenger, the L2 support person gave me call and noted down all the issues. The support person was helpful.  Atlast after 15 mins of conversation, agreed to provide the Beta Firmware link after signing of NDA.  

Just updated the firmware and enabled logs capture.  Will monitor the performance in the next few days, fingers crossed.  

Message 233 of 390

... and why wouldn't Netgear offer the beta firmware to anyone who is willing to sign the NDA?  There is no downside for them and they might actually get real world input as opposed to leaving the rest of us in the dark... and angry.  

Message 234 of 390
vijaygopal81
Tutor

True that.

Maybe they want to try the beta with a closed set of users rather than opening it up to the world.

Message 235 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@grumpyolman22 wrote:

... and why wouldn't Netgear offer the beta firmware to anyone who is willing to sign the NDA?  There is no downside for them and they might actually get real world input as opposed to leaving the rest of us in the dark... and angry.  

The idea of a NDA is that it should not be talked about and this thread is a perfect example why. 
no Beta should be talked about openly if an NDA has been agreed, it just stirs people up.

Message 236 of 390
vijaygopal81
Tutor

I understand your point about NDA, but people who have bought this expensive router are suffering with disconnections in a world where Work from Home is the new normal. Netgear employess wont help anyone in this community anyways. So I dont think there is anything wrong in sharing something which could help a few users who are struggling with below standard router which was sold as a Flagship model.  

Message 237 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

This why Betas should be behind closed doors. If nothing was mentioned you would not be asking for it to be shared and with some Betas it can void warranty. 
im sure they will release an update, like all routers especially a AX routers it can take a while to became stable as the chipset manufacturers release updates to drivers.

my RAX120 was in the same boat and runs well now. Im sure it will soon come out and may include a security patche too. 

Message 238 of 390
Profinet
Star

I'm sorry but while I would normally agree with you on this.... my warranty is going to void based on expiry with the time it is taking to release a working version of this. A week or three of constant hanging and reboots when I have critical systems integrated is somewhat acceptable (not really but I have patience). 6-10 months now of the issue is wholly unacceptable. They need to do better for their customers and they should've had ample time now to test this "beta".
Message 239 of 390
vijaygopal81
Tutor

WhatsApp beta's and likewise many other apps do release a beta program where anyone can register and avail it at their own risk.
Message 240 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Unfortunately all you can do is wait for the the new firmware. I fully understand your frustration and I hope a fix appears quickly for those who have issues.

Message 241 of 390
kvik369
Guide

Quickly?  Its been 6 months or more

Message 242 of 390
Profinet
Star

Whatsapp doesn't take a year to do it while running software that barely works for anyone
Message 243 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It took months for the RAX120 to be stable, the thing is AX is still new and with bleeding edge technology I'm afraid some fixes take time. Like I said I know how frustrating it can be but all you can do is wait. 
in the mean time if need be you can raise it through support or request a RMA to raise the issue. You can always direct them to this thread and see where it leads.

Message 244 of 390
Profinet
Star

Bottom line then. Don't release a product that doesn't work at all and is not ready. Furthermore DON'T USE YOUR USERS TO BETA TEST A PRODUCT THAT IS NOT READY and then charge full price for the device. 

I understand one or two features, but when you can't use it at all and have next to no recourse with the company and the support from the company is also acting clueless (denial mode).... that's a disgusting way to deal with your customers. 

I'm looking at other products now including Ubiquiti... they seem to do thing right.  

Message 245 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The latest beta they released to beta testers is RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.6 ... Has anyone tested this one for stability? I received it at the end of October however since my wife works from home and I need stability, it is hard to find time to beta test

Message 246 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

The latest beta they released to beta testers is RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.6 ... Has anyone tested this one for stability? I received it at the end of October however since my wife works from home and I need stability, it is hard to find time to beta test

would suggest against discussing the beta in any further detail but that version you've mentioned is an old verison and you need to talk to your support rep to obtain the latest one.. all i will say is that the latest version is very solid and stable and I have had no issues with it for over 3 weeks now. Not a single drop.

Message 247 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I can't get a hold of her at the moment.
Message 248 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:
I can't get a hold of her at the moment.

if you can't get a hold of her through email, would suggest reaching out to @Christian_R to help escalate further.

Message 249 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't think that route would produce any faster results. I'll have to wait. I already send a response to the open case file. 

Message 250 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7