× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

I don't think that route would produce any faster results. I'll have to wait. I already send a response to the open case file. 

that's too bad, but if you're after stability as your wife is working from home then the best option would be to go back to .64 firmware until you're able to get a hold of the latest beta and/or if for some magical reason, Netgear engineers finally get their fingers out of their arses and release the publicly available version.

Message 251 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the 1.0.6 but I saw you have 1.0.10 so I sent a message up to support to provide me the link as I already signed the NDA. No reason to waste time with 1.0.6 at the moment. I've been on 64 since the beginning and none of the betas so far worked with my EAX20 extender.  That's my main issue.  

What surprises me though I saw there are many new RAX versions now. RAX45/48/54 etc. Same chassis. We got screwed with a prototype. They should really give us a new model as my year is about to expire. I got this unit back in December 19.  

Message 252 of 390

I repeat, the RAX40 is a defective product that barely performs the most basic router tasks on an inconsistent basis.  As much as I enjoy reading hundreds of posts about betas and software engineers working at glacial speed, I'd prefer a refund.  

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 253 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@grumpyolman22 wrote:

I repeat, the RAX40 is a defective product that barely performs the most basic router tasks on an inconsistent basis.  As much as I enjoy reading hundreds of posts about betas and software engineers working at glacial speed, I'd prefer a refund.  

it's been working well for me since the betas but will differ on case by case basis. This shouldn't have happened in the first place though and although I would love to get a refund that definitely won't be happening...

Message 254 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

I've had a few connect / disconnect issues with 1.0.3.80 and 1.0.3.62 when I had AX enabled with 5Ghz and connected using Wi-Fi 6. After disabling AX, I've been more stable. Can you please exercise the beta firmware using Wi-Fi 6 over 5Ghz? One of my disconnects came when I ran a speed test so perhaps it was related to traffic. Thanks. 

Message 255 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Eagle-Two wrote:

Can you please exercise the beta firmware using Wi-Fi 6 over 5Ghz? One of my disconnects came when I ran a speed test so perhaps it was related to traffic. Thanks. 

Almost all of my devices are connected to 5GHz band (let alone some IoT smarthome devices that only have 2.4GHz connectivity) and 3 of my devices are on WIFI6 on 5GHz. I've run multiple speed tests, streamed media etc on all 3 of these devices without any hiccups or wifi dropouts on the router itself. I also have not had to disable any settings whatsoever. This is the firmware that the router SHOULD HAVE been released with.

Message 256 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am finally on beta 83 (1.0.10) and for a whole week, not a single issue... I am using Smart Connect and WP3/WP2. Knock on wood.

Message 257 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

I am finally on beta 83 (1.0.10) and for a whole week, not a single issue... I am using Smart Connect and WP3/WP2. Knock on wood.

good to hear that you finally got your hands on the latest beta. Hopefully with all the positive feedback we've been providing the support engineers that they'll release the final update to everyone soon. 

Message 258 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

And it is even connecting to my EAX20 extender so RAX40 seems to be back to full functionality for me

Message 259 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

And it is even connecting to my EAX20 extender so RAX40 seems to be back to full functionality for me

that's great. i'm keen to know what the hell they did with the .80 firmware that completely destroyed the RAX40. And why it has taken this long for anything to really get fixed.

Message 260 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Probably COVID and the plethora of new RAX devices they released...

Message 261 of 390
Fila18
Tutor

Hello can you try to change channel wifi on 5Ghz ? 

Because on my router, when i change channel, i want for example 48 or 52 , it don't change and stay only on 36 😞 

I've tried too DFS channels and it's the same.

Thank you.

Message 262 of 390
FrustratedUser6
Aspirant

All, I have had issues since utilizing this firmware update and reverted back to previous version (I actually have the RAX35 to be clear).  After hours with Netgear support they gave me a new version of firmware.  It worked for a few days and then started behaving the same way where I had to reboot every 4+ hours of use.  Very frustrating.  I had noticed that when I went to reboot it that the router was quite warm.  I just received a digital infrared thermometer that day so I checked it.  It was 112F on the top of the unit.  I proceeded with the reboot and then put a small electric desk fan on top of the unit blowing into it.  It has now run for 24 hours with no issues.  Would be curious if this would work for others as well.  Looks hideous but at least I am able to get my work done.  The router is sitting on a marble fern stand all by its lonesome so not in a cabinet or near any heat source.  I have a LOT of devices both wired and wireless.  Not sure why the new firmware would cause it to run hotter than the old one.  The other suggestion I have is to log into the router and turn all the LED lights off.  Again, I think this helps some with the temperature of the unit.  I will try and provide an update as to whether it continues to have no issues.  Fingers crossed.

Message 263 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That router needs to be replaced; it sounds like a hardware issue ...

Message 264 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@FrustratedUser6 wrote:

All, I have had issues since utilizing this firmware update and reverted back to previous version (I actually have the RAX35 to be clear).  After hours with Netgear support they gave me a new version of firmware.  It worked for a few days and then started behaving the same way where I had to reboot every 4+ hours of use.  Very frustrating.  I had noticed that when I went to reboot it that the router was quite warm.  I just received a digital infrared thermometer that day so I checked it.  It was 112F on the top of the unit.  I proceeded with the reboot and then put a small electric desk fan on top of the unit blowing into it.  It has now run for 24 hours with no issues.  Would be curious if this would work for others as well.  Looks hideous but at least I am able to get my work done.  The router is sitting on a marble fern stand all by its lonesome so not in a cabinet or near any heat source.  I have a LOT of devices both wired and wireless.  Not sure why the new firmware would cause it to run hotter than the old one.  The other suggestion I have is to log into the router and turn all the LED lights off.  Again, I think this helps some with the temperature of the unit.  I will try and provide an update as to whether it continues to have no issues.  Fingers crossed.

was this new firmware a beta version? but yes this sounds more like a hardware issue than firmware.. I don't think anyone has had issues with their devices overheating, only wifi drops requiring full reboot of the router. your issues sound more extreme than what we've been dealing with. Get support to start an RMA right away because that could also be a fire hazard

Message 265 of 390
FrustratedUser6
Aspirant

I was having all the same symptoms that you are talking about here and rebooting the router always resolved it for several hours.  The fan has completely solved the problem as of today.  The odd thing is that the older firmware ran just fine.  

Message 266 of 390
CLBTuco
Star

Firmware 1.0.3.80 has just been pulled as a download option.  It was there last weekend when I updated a RAX40 to get WPA3.  Hopefully this means a new version is on the way.  I can't believe they are going to leave us with an old firmware verson that doesnt have WPA3 or the security patches.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX40#download

Message 267 of 390
carminea
Star

With all these issues they still sell this router.
Message 268 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@CLBTuco wrote:

Firmware 1.0.3.80 has just been pulled as a download option.  It was there last weekend when I updated a RAX40 to get WPA3.  Hopefully this means a new version is on the way.  I can't believe they are going to leave us with an old firmware verson that doesnt have WPA3 or the security patches.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX40#download

it seriously took them this long to remove the faulty firmware? jeezus... Hopefully this is a sign that the new firmware is in the final stages of preparation for release. Hopefully it is, as I'm very sorry for everyone who hasn't been able to obtain support from Netgear to get access to the beta.

Message 269 of 390
alberto_ita
Aspirant

can anyone share the link where to download firmware V1.0.3.83 for rax40? I live in China and so one of Netgear support service here does speak a word of English

Message 270 of 390
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hi All,

I'd just a look @ netgear and I saw a brand new  RAX40v2 router !!! Does it seem there are hardware fixes but not for us?

BR

Ron

Message 271 of 390
Fila18
Tutor

Yes I saw that there was a v2 version of the rax40, but how to exchange equipment?

The link for v2 : https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX40v2

Message 272 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no hardware difference and the only difference is that it comes with the new firmware preloaded.

Anyone with access to support able to get this verified? I’d say that if there’s a hardware change that ALL original RAX40 owners should be eligible for a replacement to the RAX40v2.
Message 273 of 390
Fila18
Tutor

RAX40 come with a dual core processor and RAX40v2 come with a triple core processor.

Message 274 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

So it’s a completely new model all together then.
Message 275 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7