× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Oh, what a surprise, the final beta that I am given to test is the .88 available publicly. I did a WinMerge comparison, the file I downloaded from Netgear Support and the file the customer service rep who has been supplying me with beta firmware linked to are IDENTICAL. Indeed, they are trying to run the clock out. There is got to be a place where we can complain about this shady practice, such as BBB or something! I am fed up with this. This is a defective product since they don't have a working firmware for it. I am going to try to return it. 

Message 301 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

Has there been confirmation that connection issues were resolved with the V2 routers?

Message 302 of 390

Each time I have posted the contact info for the responsible Netgear executive, the post has been deleted by a ghost moderator. 

Message 303 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

Oh, what a surprise, the final beta that I am given to test is the .88 available publicly. I did a WinMerge comparison, the file I downloaded from Netgear Support and the file the customer service rep who has been supplying me with beta firmware linked to are IDENTICAL. Indeed, they are trying to run the clock out. There is got to be a place where we can complain about this shady practice, such as BBB or something! I am fed up with this. This is a defective product since they don't have a working firmware for it. I am going to try to return it. 

WHAT?? Are you serious?! they basically gave the final beta release candidate that they released as .88 to the public?! So that one also doesn't support AX, OFDMA, WPA3 and smart connect either? They went completely backwards since the .83 beta that I am on.

Message 304 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Eagle-Two wrote:

Has there been confirmation that connection issues were resolved with the V2 routers?

have not seen a single v2 owner make any comments. don't even know if the v2 is actually available to the public yet.

Message 305 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

anyone who has the .88 firmware installed able to test readyshare (smb specifically) with a 12 or 14tb external hdd? 

Message 306 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The external drive I have connectected is only half a TB so not sure, this one works however.

The customer service rep told me that engineers said to test .88 and if .88 is stable that they will build the OFDMA, WPA3 and SmartConnect into .88 I am not buying it but she told me not to worry if all else fails they will decide if they will replace the hardware! I have a feeling I will be moving to an ASUS router next summer

Message 307 of 390
Dan32
Apprentice

Looks like the RAX40v2 is moving on to the RAX50 Broadcom chipset.  I believe the current RAX40 is Intel based right? 

That fimware for the V2 change log is word-for-word IDENTICAL, including the revision number to the RAX50 latest frmware.

(Having a RAX50, I've had that one up continuously without a hitch for over 60 days now.)

Message 308 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear contacted me today and offered a replacement for my RAX40. They want to give me a RAX43. I guess I'll take it as long as it's not someone's hand-me-down.
Message 309 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:
Netgear contacted me today and offered a replacement for my RAX40. They want to give me a RAX43. I guess I'll take it as long as it's not someone's hand-me-down.

thats great, they should replace EVERYONE'S! the rax43 is actually the replacement for the rax40. rax40 has been removed from the netgear product website

Message 310 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

i've contacted netgear in follow-on from my current case i have open with them regarding internal 500 errors and readyshare not working properly, to see if they will replace mine with a rax43. they should replace everyones as the rax40 is a defective piece of garbage as seen throughout these forum threads.

Message 311 of 390
RangerX
Apprentice

I have a RAX35 and like everyone else with a RAX35/RAX40 my router has been unusable for many months so I went back to an earlier router. This weekend I installed firmware 88 and the router is now usable and so far has been stable. At least it is now working with the AX option disabled so it is basically operating as an 802.11 AC router.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for working with Netgear to go though the unacceptable painful process you experienced to get these routers operational at a back-level AC capability. While I agree with everyone that we should all receive newer models of these routers (or their replacements such as the RAX-38 for us RAX-35 owners) I am not going to waste my time thinking Negear will do the right thing. 

Basically Netgear sold me an AX router that is not an AX router but is actually an AC router. Clicking on a box that says activate AX mode when the latest firmware has disabled what appears to be the only true AX feature of this device (OFDMA)  doesn't make it an AX router other than in advertising only. Any features that are still active on this crippled device are all AC or AC Wave 2 capabilities... QAM 1024, beamforming, 160 ghz channels, DFS, etc. If I wanted an AC router I would have bought one at a much less expensive price.

Currently I think Netgear has just been negligent or incompetent releasing the RAX35/RAX40 devices that do not work as advertised with AX capabilities. If Netgear doesn't fix these deficiency and release a stable, reliable firmware release that reactivates OFDMA and hopefully restores the promised WPA3 and Smart Connect capabilities then I would lean more towards fraud.

I think we have waited long enough to get a working, reliable device as advertised. I think 30 to 60 days more is enough time for Netgear to resolve these issues and restore the AX capabilities to these routers. Any longer than that  likely means that Netgear is not going to honor their data specifications or promises and confirm my worst suspicions.

Message 312 of 390
RangerX
Apprentice

Wanted to add to my previous post...

160 ghz channels was a typo. Should have been 160 mhz channel widths.

Also after reviewing the firmware versions for the RAX35v1, RAX35v2, RAX38 I see the RAX38 is also using firmware 88 so it is also likely just an AC router in capability and not an AX router as advertised. So that would not be an acceptable replacement for a RAX35v1.

It looks to me like the RAX38 has the same specs as the RAX40 including USB port. The RAX35v2 states a triple core processor in one place of the technical data sheet pdf and in another place in the same document it says a dual core processor. WTF? Netgear can't even update documentation correctly let alone release stable firmware with all router features enabled?

I have an original copy of the technical data sheet document for the RAX35 from when I bought my device which states:

Uplink & Downlink OFDMA§—Improved capacity and efficiency 

Note this has been removed from the latest technical data sheet for the RAX35... but removing it from newer document versions doesn't remove Netgear's obligation to provide it to us customers who bought this router when the technical data sheet said this functionaly existed. 

I have always bought and recommended Netgear routers to others. Because of this fiasco this will be my last Netgear router.

So Netgear GIVE US A DATE when you will restore the OFDMA functionality and other promised updates like WPA3 and Smart Connect.

Message 313 of 390
SilvertonMY
Guide

I need to make a decision.  Does anyone know the security vulnerabilities of the V1.0.3.62_1.0.1 firmware?

I have an RAX35 that is performing flawlessly on the .62 firmware. 

-AX is enabled and functioning as reported by my Windows computer with an AX adapter.

-I have about 25 devices connected with zero issues.

-I never have to reboot the router. Everything always works.

-AX, QOS, Implicit beamforming, etc are all enabled.

-I never upgraded to the .80 firmware because of this thread.

I can't read the Release Notes for the .80 firmware to find out what Security vulnerabilities were corrected because that release has been removed from Netgear's website.

If I upgrade to .88, I'll lose AX capabilities.

Does anyone know what security vulnerabilites exist on the .62 firmware?

If major vulnerabilities exist, I'll go out today and buy another brand and quit fooling with this thing.

Thanks in advance.

Message 314 of 390

Message 315 of 390
RangerX
Apprentice

Also new security vulnerability announced today that is fixed by firmware 88. So you have a choice to run older AX OFDMA firmware version 62 with security vulnerabilities or upgrade to firmware version 88 and lose AX capabilities including OFDMA. A Catch-22 situation unfortunately.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062628/Security-Advisory-for-Multiple-Dnsmasq-Vulnerabilities-on-Some-Rout...

Message 316 of 390
SilvertonMY
Guide

Thank you grumpyolman22 and RangerX.

Based on that, I have to decide if what I bought was either....

- An AX router with security vulnerabilites or,
- An AC router that was marketed as an AX router.

Got it!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm not happy right now. I already HAD an AC router.
I did my part by spending money on a new AX router WITH appropriate security.
Now, I believe Netgear needs to do their part by providing me with one.

Message 317 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Guys,

So Netgear processed an RMA for my RAX40. Well, check out this statement in the RMA instructions;

Once the defective unit is received by NETGEAR, a replacement unit will be sent to you.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. In the middle of the pandemic, and holiday season, when we work from home, we are going to sit and wait for days for a router, with no Wifi at home. I AM DONE! DONE AND DONE. Most companies ship replacements first so that there is no interruption in service. I want my money back. I AM NEVER buying another Netgear product again! 

Message 318 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

They normally offer 3 ways. 2 ways where they send you a router but hold your card details for normal and next day delivery and the other option is you send in your router and on receipt they send out one. 
that's how my XR router was replaced earlie this year.

Did they offer you this?

Message 319 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The two other ways they charge you. I don't need expedited shipping but I need the router first. This is not something I caused and I should not spend a dime for this to be taken care of. The only "free" way is that you have to send the router in first. I just dealt with Kwikset company on a zigbee deadbolt. They sent me two units over time and each time I got a shipping label. Someone, please, inform me if I am being unreasonable. Paid 249.99 for this thing last year.  

Message 320 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

In the U.K. we can claim back postage from the original retailer. Is this not the same in the US?

Message 321 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, it doesn't look like they do that.

You selected the Standard Swap Exchange Contract:

• You are responsible for the freight charges of shipping the defective unit to NETGEAR.
  • Please send the defective product to our RMA fulfillment center

NETGEAR Returns
3605 Knight Road Suite 101
Memphis
TN 38118

• We suggest using a carrier that provides tracking information.
  • NETGEAR is not responsible for packages lost in transit to NETGEAR.
  • Once the defective unit is received by NETGEAR, a replacement unit will be sent to you. The shipping charges for sending the replacement to you will be covered by NETGEAR.

Message 322 of 390
abelak
Guide

I really appreciate this community. Thanks to @Retired_Member for starting this thread to highlight the issues with this router. I hope you get a replacement or a refund for the time, effort and money you've put into this product and company.

I raised a ticket for replacing this router but I have decided against it and instead, will be buying an AX router from ASUS in the next sale. I just wanted to recap the absurdity of what I have had to put up with, with regards to this product. I am sure others have their own version. This will put things into context for community members who have had a pleasant experience with netgear products and may wonder why we're frustrated.

• The first experience with a wifi router is the setup and setting this router was not easy. The router was not recognizable by any device after setting it up and it took me little over an hour to set it up after physically resetting it a few times.
  • Then came this brilliant update which completely broke the router. I have had to spend at least 4 hours to get it working after turning off features which are touted as basic features for this kind of router.
  • As I'm writing this message, this thread has 319 messages and 4681 views. While the community has been supportive, there is noone from netgear who has checked in (I don't know if moderators count). For a thread with so many views and messages for something negative, it should have gotten someone's attention.
  • I waited patiently and did not ask for a beta to test because I thought maybe they will have an update in a month or two. Instead, for 6 months, they kept an unstable firmware available on their support site. Then they casually release a firmware which effectively turned the router into an AC router which one could get at a third of the price.

I'm in India, I don't have any option to get another model of this router (not even the v2) if I ask for a replacement, I do not have confidence in their service. Asus has released 4 updates to their equivalent router in these 6 months which address bugs and/or security issues.Either netgear doesn't know what they are doing or they just don't care about their customers. I have been observing how they have been handling this situation and it does not instill a speck of confidence in their products/service/expertise. All the best to everyone trying to get a replacement and fingers-crossed that the router you get works.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 323 of 390
A_Ochoa
Tutor

They simply DON'T CARE!

I have not seen anyone from Netgear even take the time to read abd reply, not even a courtesy like "We are working on it" (even if it's a lie).

They have lots of other Products and if they keep selling, why bother fixing an issue that wont be a profit for them.

I made my peace with this I moved back to firmware .60 (more stable) and restart now and then just to avoid problems, saving for a router from another Brand.

Instead of commenting here try giving them bad reviews on amazon, ebay and walmart, to help other innocent future customers from falling for this junk Brand.

Message 324 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Does anyone have any experience with ASUS RT-AX3000? Same idea same concept same features if not more on ASUS...

Message 325 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7