× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I upgraded my RMA for 17 dollars and now Netgear will send a RAX43 first and then will include a shipping label for the RAX40. If you guys can get your RMA to upgrade your RAX40s for the 43, make sure you select the second option in the RMA options. Finally this whole 6 months long ordeal is coming to an end. First time ever for me to have dealt with an electronic device issue this long. I recommend the RAX40 owners contact support as soon as possible and state that Netgear is replacing RAX40s with 43s

Message 326 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

I upgraded my RMA for 17 dollars and now Netgear will send a RAX43 first and then will include a shipping label for the RAX40. If you guys can get your RMA to upgrade your RAX40s for the 43, make sure you select the second option in the RMA options. Finally this whole 6 months long ordeal is coming to an end. First time ever for me to have dealt with an electronic device issue this long. I recommend the RAX40 owners contact support as soon as possible and state that Netgear is replacing RAX40s with 43s

I tried and they're not budging. They said that it comes down to the engineers and they need to run more tests and other nonsense to isolate issues etc. I'm not even going to bother anymore especially if they're going to make you pay 17 dollars for an advance replacement before you send in the piece of junk RAX40. Rather save that money to put towards a better router from a more honest and overall better company.

Message 327 of 390
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hi,

I use firmware V1.0.3.88_1.0.1 with issues when trying to connect on admin web page (no response)>>> "power off-on" needed to fix.

I asked for a beta as I had previously (with less issues) ... Got a link to get it from support  ...

And surprise : I got a new f/w having same version same size same checksum than the original V1.0.3.88_1.0.1 !!!

Again the same story!

BR

Ron

Message 328 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Contact your support agent and request 83. 83 is a lot better. For me it worked pretty stable until I tried a power cycle one time without need and then it started having issues. 

Message 329 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Received the RAX43 yesterday and set it up today. You can tell they refined the product. Firmware has the same UI with minor updates (they added Netgear ARMOR subscription service) however so far it is stable. Please everyone, work with your reps and get this router, if they agreed to replace mine, yours should get replaced too. 

I will follow this thread for your progress, and I will also continue to test incoming firmware's for RAX43.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

Message 330 of 390

The RAX40 is clearly Consumer Fraud.  It doesn't work, even with the latest firmware, and never worked as advertised so they are simply stalling until the warranties run out.  After that, you are out-of-warranty and out of luck.   Contact your state's consumer advocate.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 331 of 390
SilvertonMY
Guide

Well guys, I’m out!
My RAX35 is sitting in my storage cabinet and will be disposed of at the next local electronics recycling event.

Good luck to all.

Message 332 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

@SilvertonMY wrote:

Well guys, I’m out!
My RAX35 is sitting in my storage cabinet and will be disposed of at the next local electronics recycling event.

Good luck to all.

I updated my RAX35 to firmware 1.0.3.88 and haven't had any disconnect issues.

Message 333 of 390
Vikelt
Aspirant

Useless support.
I purchased an RAX40 about 7 weeks ago.
Since then i have wasted my life trying to get it to work.
My first case I was told it was faulty and it needed to be returned/replaced. The case was closed.
I open a new case as the router still do not work. I had to constantly sign into it and i dropped the wifi constantly, dispite spending hours doing this and that it would not work correctly.
I asked for a replacement or refund, it was then the constant barrage of questions started.
Dispite constantly asking for a replacement /refund i got absolutely nowhere and netgear shut the case!
I still have a piece of plastic junk that just does not work. How can i get a refund /replacement please?
Message 334 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Log into mynetgear.com and start an RMA process, they will contact you and explain the situation in a calm and logical manner and they should offer you a replacement.

Message 335 of 390
Profinet
Star

So there is this feature in the firmware that says

"Enable AX - This mode will enable AX features such as OFDMA"

If OFDMA has been disabled on this latest firmware, are they lying in the firmware and mode description here or is it really enabling OFDMA? How would one know for sure? 

Message 336 of 390
EPIPHANY
Initiate

If anyone reads this, I'm a very tech-savvy individual and I've been troubleshooting this router's desire to drop WiFi since the start of owning it and even had it stable for a short while. It's not anything on your end, this router is a piece of junk and Netgear wants me to pay for premium tech support just to RMA it back to them now that I know better. That's not worth it, go buy something from a company that cares.

Won't be purchasing anything from Netgear again, that's the last money of mine you'll ever see.

Message 337 of 390
Profinet
Star

If calling support, I wouldn't give up so quickly. Be very clear and specific to the LVL 1 person you get when you initially speak to them. Remember that the LVL 1 techs are only following a script and have likely no advanced information on any developments or facts with this router. Just tell them to skip the script, direct them to the fact that Netgear themselves admit a firmware problem (indirectly I might add) on their website, and no matter what troubleshooting they attempt to do, it will not work because features have been actively disabled in the firmware and rolling back poses security problems. Be clear, firm and direct (not rude) and you should be ok. Once you get this concept through to them, they should refer you to a LVL 2 tech WITHOUT a requirement to buy additional support for something that simply can't be fixed. It should be smoother sailing from there. 

This seems to have worked for me. Will wait and see what the end result is with the replacement they are sending. 

Good Luck!

Message 338 of 390
CLBTuco
Star

Good summary.  After fighting for 8 months to get my RAX40 working, I just gave up and bought another companies WIFI 6 router.   Its been 3 weeks and my network is worked perfectly.  Not 1 single smart device or family member complaining that the WIFI or internet is down.  

I could never get the RAX40 stable with any WIFI 6 settings on, the best I could do was run the RAX40 as a WIFI 5 router and even then it wouldn't work for more than afew days without an issue.  The final straw was when the most current firmware didn't even support WIFI 6 and the WIFI 6 supporting (WPA3 specificially) firmware was not even on the website anymore.  

Message 339 of 390
Profinet
Star

Update: 

They sent me a V2 of this router. This machine is night and day from the original equipment. Everything seems to work down to the lights actually showing activity. Quad Core vs Dual Core and far less heat. This is what this router should have been from day 1 and not that piece of garbage they tried to peddle to everyone. Has been running for over a week now with no problems. Very strong signal, boots in seconds compared to the over 5 minutes of the V1 model and seems to be lightning fast in transmitting and figuring out QoS. 

While I cannot condone the way Netgear acted with the original version of this router, at least they were willing to provide an equitable replacement. 

Message 340 of 390
vijaygopal81
Tutor

Im done as well. Disconnected the router permanently for good. Bought a TP Link, since 2 weeks no disconnection to any of the 20 devices. Will try to sell it off RAX40 on ebay for any price I get. This is the life's most baddest decision ever. Saying goodbye to NETGEAR and this community forever.
Good luck guys.
Message 341 of 390
Fila18
Tutor

Good morning all,

I also returned my rax40 router to my dealer, I bought an asus router which works perfectly! 1st time I bought a netgear router and last time because bad experience for me!

Message 342 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My replacement RAX43 has a new firmware release and I am death afraid to try it.

Message 343 of 390
ronald_fr
Luminary

!!!

Hello all,

an other update....

Because admin web page not responding very often, I made a 2nd RMA and I receive an other RAX40 even I asked for an other router ...

After the flash to latest  beta : V1.0.3.83_1.0.12 + reset to factory + AP mode set and not any other change, it worked some days; then I made other changes to be closed to the needed configuration and it always works!

8 days w/o any reboot! To be continued...

BR

Ron

Message 344 of 390
Rubes09
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for starting this thread.

I have an RAX40 running V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 firmware.

Was experiencing multiple dropouts per day. Spoke to my ISP - they confirmed it is a router issue.

Also purchased an EAX20 extender. Would not connect to RAX40.

Followed advice from this community and downgraded firmware to V1.0.3.64_1.0.1

At least I can connect the extender now. Shame it no longer has Smart Connect.

Have lost many days to this router. Netgear phone support was completely useless - told me to return my extender because it's faulty!

I'm waiting for confirmation that the 1.0.3.88 firmware won't brick my router. Would really prefer Smart Connect than having to manually select.

Cheers

Message 345 of 390
pbulteel
Star

My recommendation to you is ... return it and get your money back if you can.

Run, don't walk... This is the biggest piece of garbage I have ever had.

Buy anything else.

I'm surprised nobody has started a class action for this. 

Message 346 of 390
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello All,

this is my very last message : again the same issue (I was so confident); now I'm at the end!

So I went to my provider. They were ok to give me money back w/o any discussion.

I added 30€ to obtain a brand new rt-ax82u ... So for any issue (?) I have to change community.

Good luck

R

Message 347 of 390
Profinet
Star

Should've insisted on a replacement to a router that works... V1 is garbage. 

Worked for me, first try

Message 348 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Profinet wrote:

Should've insisted on a replacement to a router that works... V1 is garbage. 

Worked for me, first try

worked for you and maybe a select few others (who some chose to pay extra to expedite their RMA), but many of us have been shut down and left in the dark without a replacement. Netgear have been terrible with this whole thing...

@Christian_R it truly amazes me that you and all of the other moderators in this forum have turned a blind eye to the fact that there are over a dozen reports of the RAX40v1 being faulty and technicians/engineers doing crap-all to provide a proper fix (instead, removing features/functions to get the router to be even somewhat stable) and customer support refusing to replace our faulty products. As you can see from numerous posts, many of us are also throwing away the router to purchase routers from other competing brands/providers and are never coming back to Netgear products.

Message 349 of 390

Netgear sold a device - RAX40- that is known to them to be defective and unrepairable.  Netgear declines to repair or replace at their own expense.  Hmmm... isn't that called Consumer Fraud?

Message 350 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7