× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

Profinet
Star

I would hold them to that... and I did. They replaced it at their own expense. 

I basically told them to cut the crap... and they did. I wasn't interested in becoming a tester... I purchased a ready product and i don't have the time and I'm not on the payroll. 

As I stated in previous posts... you have to force your way past LVL 1 support. I could go on and on about how this is not the right way but truth be told, most tech companies just hire people who read scripts and its a battle to get to the higher level tech support people... it has happened to me many times which is why I don't even blink when this happens. If you buy a router from another company and it works... great!.... but when you call them you are likely to receive the same treatment if you have a problem. Years ago ASUS put out a series of gaming routers which were all defective because they were all running at almost 100degrees Celcius.  They just kept on replacing them with the same defective units until the warranty ran out.... I would say that's not much better. Truth be told, none of the companies put out a stellar product and the online reviews are rigged because no one tests for long term use, only for the day or two they have it in their shops.

At least Netgear stopped selling the Version 1 and re-designed it properly... though I would say they should've gone further and forced a recall. 

But you are right, the ver 1 model of this isn't capable of doing what it was advertised to do, and that's fraud. I would mention that in the call....but nicely... unlikely to get anywhere screaming.  

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 351 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

I can't even get through to support anymore and they have closed all my cases..

Message 352 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Is anyone still using the RAX40v1? I updated to the latest firmware with the features stripped bare from the device... and even after that, I'm STILL encountering:

• dropouts of my internet (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands still broadcast but unable to connect from any of my devices)
  • dropout of my 5GHz band - cannot reconnect to it but able to connect to my 2.4GHz band

Only way I was able to remediate was to yet again reboot the router.. this is getting incredibly tiresome and I cannot even contact support to open a case anymore for a replacement because all my cases are closed and that stupid 90 day "complimentary" support has lapsed months ago.

This f**king router, I swear.. Netgear you guys are trash.

Message 353 of 390

Got exacly the same problem as you and I don't have the 90 days. Netgear are realy not helping there customer with there lack of suport. They sould send an email to all of the v1 owner and tell them that they will recive the v2 without charge. They are striping feature and are not giving suport.

Message 354 of 390
Flak80
Initiate

I just sold my RAX40 V1 for the half-price I bought it one year ago.

Bye Netgear !! Now I'm switching my wifi network to TP-Link hardware (TL-WA1201) : no WiFi 6 but much more stability

Message 355 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Will most likely do the same abs sell mine and get another wifi6 router from a more reputable company. Netgear can go F themselves.
Message 356 of 390
CLBTuco
Star

Firmware 1.0.3.94 is out adding WPA3, OFDMA, etc.  I boxed up my RAX40 3 months ago after 9 months of hell.  In another lockdown so decided to factory reset the door stop and update to .94.  I've added it to my network with 1 WIFI 6 device and 1 2.4g smartdevice.  Lets see if they can stay connected for more than the 3 hours  (.88 firmware).

Message 357 of 390

I don't know how any corporation of substance can make the promises that Netgear made on the RAX-40 and deliver a non-functional POS with such total contempt for its customers.  It never worked and they've run the clock out on warranties.  Sold my Netgear garbage to some fool on eBay and bought a Google Nest Mesh WiFi that ACTUALLY WORKS!  Never again, Netgear, ever!!!!!

Message 358 of 390
RangerX
Apprentice

This morning I saw that Firmware 1.0.3.94 was released. I have a RAX35v1 which is same as the RAX40v1 without USB. I have been following this thread on the RAX40 because the same issues affect the RAX35.

Finally Netgear has issued a new firmware restoring the functionality we all paid for but Netgear removed to make the router simply work. Supposedly 1.0.3.94 reenables WPA3, OFDMA, and Smart Connect.

I have been running firmware RAX35v1_V1.0.3.88 which has been very stable (but with the removed AX features). I did an upgrade to 1.0.3.94 today. My settings were remembered after the upgrade except for the traffic monitor which had cleared out statistics.

So far so good. Only issue was an older WPA2 client could not connect to wireless when router set to WPA2 (AES) + WPA3. But other older WPA2 clients could so I assume it is a client driver issue that can't handle WPA2 + WPA3 protocol.

I will run the new firmware for a week and post my experiences with router stability. Hopefully it will be stable like 1.0.3.88.

And to Netgear... yes you did (hopefully) fulfill your obligation to your customers in providing the functionality advertised for the RAX35v1 and RAX40v1 devices, but there is no excuse for the lenght of time it has taken nor the complete lack of respect to your customers by not communicating at all regarding any status for resolution. This doesn't absolve you of horrible customer treatment, but does address whether there might be a potential legal liability against Netgear.

Message 359 of 390

I also upgraded to the 1.0.3.94 firmware. I enabled Airtime fairness. But I quikly disabled smart connect because it gave me some issue. I also had to reconect my dynamic DNS. I will make an update if I have some problems

Message 360 of 390
aoeex
Guide

I updated my router today and so far it seems fine.  I did a factory reset, upgrade, another factory reset and then re-configured the thing to give it the best chance of working and not having issues due to an old config. The real test will be this weekend when various family comes over and there will be more devices.

I use mine in AP mode and not as my main router.  This update introduces one issue in this particular configuration.  The router admin page now forces one to access it using the www.routerlogin.net domain rather than allowing the IP address.  Since the device is not my router and not handling my DNS it's unable to intercept those requests so you end up at their help page instead of the admin UI.  I had to add a hosts file entry for the domain in order to regain access the admin page.

Message 361 of 390
RangerX
Apprentice

@ aoeex

I'm running firmware 94.

I am able to access the admin page using the IP address of the router and by www.routerlogin.net.  I am not running in AP mode but not sure why that would make a difference.

Message 362 of 390
aoeex
Guide

@RangerX 

Using the IP just results in the router issuing a redirect to the domain now. The domain only works if the RAX40 is providing the DNS services for your network as it will respond to a DNS request for routerlogin.net with it's local IP address.  If the RAX isn't the device processing DNS requests then that domain instead resolves to it's public IP which takes you to netgear's help page.

Most people in most situations probably wouldn't have an issue as the RAX40 would be their main router and their DNS host so everything would work fine.

Since I have mine in AP mode, it's not handling my DNS queries (the main router does) so the routerlogin.net domain resolves to the public IP and shows the help page, not the admin UI.  Due to that, and the fact that using the IP just results in a redirect to the domain, the admin UI is effectively inaccessible in such a configuration.  A local override of that domain via the system's hosts file or a local DNS server is necessary for it to work.

Message 363 of 390
Rubes09
Aspirant

Thank you for doing this. I'll await your results eagerly. Cheers
Message 364 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

I have a RAX35 and will be upgrading to the new 1.0.3.94 firmware version in about 2 weeks. After updating to 1.0.3.80, I had stability issues and eventually had to rollback. I've had good success with 1.0.3.88 so I'm going to monitor the boards for a short time before updating.

Message 365 of 390
Rubes09
Aspirant

G'day, do you have any updates on how the latest firmware is going please? Thanks
Message 366 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Got the firmware updated on mine. I factory reset my router after the update and couldn’t access my admin console at all via IP or router admin URL.

I had to perform my setup using the mobile app.

Have had the router running for the past week and have had no issues with disconnects or crashes.

Maybe they have finally fixed the issues and brought the router back to what it should have been with all the advertised features.
Message 367 of 390
CLBTuco
Star

I didn't do a full test as I replaced my RAX40 with another router.  I put 1 WIFI 6 device and 1 smart switch on the RAX40 and no issues in over a week.  With the 2 previous firmware releases, I couln't go a day without loosing WIFI connectivity.

Message 368 of 390
Rubes09
Aspirant

@RangerX
Hi, do you have any updates on how the new firmware is going please? Thanks
Message 369 of 390
Rkohl1956
Guide

I have a RAX35v1 and upgraded to the new 1.0.3.94 firmware version last Friday, from V1.0.3.62_1.0.1. I have 12 devices connected, no dropouts or other problems. Seems solid so far. I am not running smart connect.

Message 370 of 390
RangerX
Apprentice

I've been running the new firmware v1.0.3.94 on my RAX35 for about a week now. 

I've experienced no problems. I've had no disconnects, dropouts, or need to reset the router. It appears to be as stable as RAX35v1_V1.0.3.88.

I am running with AX enabled. I am not using smart connect. 

From my experience I'm satisfied with the stability of firmware v1.0.3.94 with my configuration. Of course your configuration may uncover problems due to features I'm not using or hardware compatibility issues that do not pertain to me.

So other than having one older WPA2 client that would not work with the router when the router was in WPA2 +WPA3 mode, I have had no problems.

Hope this helps others.

Message 371 of 390
RangerX
Apprentice

@aoeex

I understand everthing you are saying.

It just seems to me that if you browse to http://[ip of rax40] that DNS would not be required and whatever you are using for your router would route (via internal switch) that request to the IP adress of the RAX40. I am assuming the RAX40 is using the same IP Subnet as your router. I could understand if www.routerlogin.net doesn't work because the RAX40 is not providing your DNS.

But the main thing is you are able to access the RAX40 admin screen using a hosts file. Sometimes it is just not worth the effort to figure out why something doesn't work when you can use an easy work-around to get what you need. So it sounds like you are golden.

Message 372 of 390
aoeex
Guide

@RangerXIndeed you'd think that would work as that's how it's pretty much always worked in my experience, but they broke that with this update.  Trying to go to http://[ip of RAX40] results in:

C:\Users\Keith>curl -i http://192.168.10.2/
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Content-Length: 0
Connection: close
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 03:43:02 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.47

If you're not familiar with HTTP, that means "Hey, access me using https://[ip of RAX40] instead.  Thanks, bye".  So [you/the browser] tries again with the https url, but instead of the admin page you get:

C:\Users\Keith>curl -ik https://192.168.10.2/
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Content-Length: 0
Connection: close
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 03:43:26 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.47

Which means, "Hey, access me using http://www.routerlogin.net/ instead.  Thanks, bye".  In other words, the router won't respond to anything other than the domain name.

Message 373 of 390
maxducy
Aspirant

Just updated to 1.0.3.94. So far so good. And my dropping packets issue is now gone as well!

Message 374 of 390

Update on my last post. The new update is fine most of the time but some days I'm experiencing lost of internet connection. The local network kinda working but I can only ping the router. I tried using Google DNS without success. So I don’t really know what to try.

Message 375 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7