× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 - I just started using it - tips for better performance?

Mega69
Tutor

RAX40 - I just started using it - tips for better performance?

I bought the new announced router RAX40 (Firmware Version V1.0.1.41_1.0.1) to improve my home network. I have 2 computers, several home-connected gadgets (ecobee, hue lights, ring) and 3 SmartTVs (a total of ~30 devices, some of them in 2.4 and the majority in 5G). I'm using my cable-modem (C6250) to connect to Comcast and I have over 200Mbps for download and ~12Mbps for upload. I'm also running some tests with the AC3200 (R8000) to see the differences with the performances.

It seems that the AC3200 performs better than the RAX40, but I'm not sure if I need to change some settings to get better wireless coverage/performance. I have the QoS turned on, but I don't appreciate any differences. Besides, the Nighthawk app also has some issues connecting to the RAX, while connecting to the R8000 is really fast.

Any thoughts on how to improve the performance on the AX?

Thks

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

@Mega69 wrote:

I'm using my cable-modem (C6250) to connect to Comcast and I have over 200Mbps for download and ~12Mbps for upload. I'm also running some tests with the AC3200 (R8000) to see the differences with the performances.

The C6250 is a cable modem/router. The R8000, like the RAX40, is a router. So you have two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

There is a manual for the C6250 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C6250 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Cable the Modem Router to a Router and Use Bridge Mode.

I have the QoS turned on..

Why? Unless you have a problem that you are trying to fix, QoS can just slow down the network as the router dedicated its power to managing connections. At 200 Mbps, you are on the edge of the speeds where people advise that QoS is a waste of effort.

Message 2 of 9
Mega69
Tutor

You are right, I forgot to mention that the router mode is disabled at the cable modem, so only the RAX is doing the router funtcion.

Message 3 of 9
dock8486
Aspirant

Ac2600(R7800) or ax3000 (Rax40) which on should I get?
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 9
Mega69
Tutor

I returned the RAX... Not a good product in my opinuon
Message 5 of 9

@Mega69 wrote:
Not a good product in my opinuon

Too young. (The product that is.)

Rarely a good idea to be the first one to buy something.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Mega69 wrote:

... (a total of ~30 devices, some of them in 2.4 and the majority in 5G). ...

I'm also running some tests with the AC3200 (R8000) to see the differences with the performances. ...It seems that the AC3200 performs better than the RAX40, ...

With many 5 GHz clients, the R8000 with its _two_ 5 GHz radios and Smart Connect (seamless romaing, load balance, ...) does have a big advantage.

@Mega69 wrote:

I'm using my cable-modem (C6250) to connect to Comcast and I have over 200Mbps for download and ~12Mbps for upload.

Not a lot of SciFi WiFi required to pus this to the limits and beyond.

@Mega69 wrote:

I'm not sure if I need to change some settings to get better wireless coverage/performance.

When working on 802.11n (2.4 GHz) and 802.11ac (5 GHz), technology, standards, regulatory limitations are the very same - a 802.11ax (WiFi 6) capable router will perform very similar to a comparable 802.11ac router - the coverage can't differ much. Regardless of the Wi-Fi 6 marketing does claim better coverage btw.

Message 7 of 9
Andyleo
Aspirant

I have just bought the RAX40 router for use for three days.  To my disappointment, the performance of this WiFi 6 router does not outperform the one I bought 2 years ago, especially the wifi connection.  Similar to this user, I intend to return the router back and will never buy Netgear new model again.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9

@Andyleo wrote:

To my disappointment, the performance of this WiFi 6 router does not outperform the one I bought 2 years ago, especially the wifi connection. 

Unless you have changed all of your wifi clients, you are unlikely to see a dramatic improvement in whatever you mean by "performance".

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7