× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 New Firmware (1.0.3.80_1.0.1)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RAX40 New Firmware (1.0.3.80_1.0.1)

So the new firmware is nice, finally I can use Smart Connect and it works alright. WPA3 is a nice addition etc however the new update broke the connection for my EAX20 extender. Confirmed it via downgrading to 1.0.3.62_1.0.1 and the extender worked. 

My other extender EX7500 works fine with the new FW update.

My dilemma at this point is, yeah I would like to take advantage of the new FW, however it makes my $150 extender unusable. In about a month I am going to lose the chat/email/phone support so not knowing if this FW issue would be fixed anytime soon, would Netgear replace this extender with a different model? I could get another EX7500 since that one is already working.

Message 1 of 3

Re: RAX40 New Firmware (1.0.3.80_1.0.1)

Are you experienceing any other issues beside what you mentioned? Have you tried a factory reset with a paper clip to the back of the router and setting up as new? I'm asking as a rax40 user myself and worried about updating.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RAX40 New Firmware (1.0.3.80_1.0.1)

Initially using only WPA3 the clients were being dropped quick, once my wife complained that her Nintendo Switch isn't WPA3 compatible, I swapped back to WPA2+WPA3, right now it works good, wifi connection is stable, haven't experienced any frequent drops, as I move around the house, my phone for example, is changing connectivity but remains connected. So Smart Connect works. If you have EAX20 extender, this firmware is a no go though. The new firmware plays nicely with EX7500 extender but EAX20 is out for the time being. And after it got the new firmware I did a factory reset using the GUI on the Administration page. Give it a go, you can always fall back to 1.0.3.64

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7