× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Wifi Connection Issues with Multiple Devices from Various Manufacturers

camping147
Guide

RAX40 Wifi Connection Issues with Multiple Devices from Various Manufacturers

I got a RAX40 last month and have had issues since i opened the box.  I am running the unit in Access Point (AP) mode.  List of issues:

• With 1.0.2.46 firmware I was not able to use a WPA2 password more than ~20 characters.  The webpage would not save the changes to the password past those character limits.  (Its overkill but I use 63 and I don't want to change it to less)
  • Because of this, I downgraded to 1.0.2.44.  The following issues described below are with this version:
  • Not all clients were able to see the SSID or connect to the network.  Most of these problems were alleviated when disabling the "ax" funcationality on the wireless setup config page.
  • However, all wifi devices connected to the network drop and cannot connect back to the network.  In this case, I have to turn off and turn back on the unit for the devices to connect again.  This happens from every few hours to a couple days.  Some devices drop first than others but ultimately they all drop and cannot connect.  The list of devices I have connected to the network by manufacturer:
  • Google homes (various versions)
  • Pixel 3
  • iPhone XR
  • Samsung TV
  • Sony TV
  • Dell laptop
  • Lenovo laptop
  • Nest
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Nintendo WiiU

I previously had a R7000P and never had any drops like this over the course of 5 plus years.  My guess is that since this a new product and Netgear decided to have its users do extended Beta testing that these are issues that need to be resolved via firmware updates.  I hope the firmware developers can notice these items and get them resolved quickly.  The ethernet ports work fine at gig speeds on the unit acting like an unmanaged switch.  If I am travelling I would not be able to access the Nest etc.    

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 56
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX40 Wifi Connection Issues with Multiple Devices from Various Manufacturers

Hello camping147,

Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed description of the issues you're experiencing with your router. I'd like for our support team to get in contact with you. If you're interested, please send me a message with your contact info and serial number.

~Christian 

Message 2 of 56
camping147
Guide

Talking to support has been useless so far.  They just go through their runbooks and don't care about the troubleshooting or investigation I have done so far.  I was able to update the firmware to xx.60 but the connection issues still persist.  I keep having to turn off and on the router every day or so in order for the devices to connect back to the network.  I also was not able to log into the router when in this state.  This leads me futher to believe it has something to do with the unit.  If someone could put me in contact with someone who can help effectively I would appreciate it.

Message 3 of 56
medic2rsq
Aspirant

I'm also having constant connection drops, primarily from older devices or "cheaper devices".  I had to buy a NEW netgear USB antenna from the nighthawk line and that seems to work, however it doesn't randomly drop.  I'm 3 feet from the router with NO obstructions.  My son's older computer has a netgear USB WNA100 that worked fine until I swapped to this new RAX40 router and drop drop drop drop and just keeps dropping.  Ipad keeps dropping.  Acer laptop keeps dropping.  I've called techsupport and we reset, which I argued would serve no purpose and then we changed channels.  The netgear nighthawk USB antenna is working, however, the others continue to drop and then reconnect and drop.  This includes 2 year old NETGEAR USB Stick.  I found on another site a link to update software, did that, keeps dropping.

Message 4 of 56
windmgc
Aspirant

Get the same error, purchased RAX40 three months ago, and all devices continues to drop wifi connection several times in a week. When the problem occurs, wifi signal seems totally disappear and can't be searched. Had to restart the whole router, but wifi configs will get back to factory settings after restart. To be honest RAX40's firmware is totally a nightmare. RAX40 doesn't look like a netgear product at all.

Message 5 of 56
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello windmgc, 

Welcome to the community! May you try enabling/disabling AX to see if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 6 of 56
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

just to share :

I also have many issues with my RAX40 using Firmware Version V1.0.3.64_1.0.1 here in France

• 5G wifi not working after some time
  • some devices can't connect >>> reboot fixes
  • hangs of whole RAX40
  • reset to factory defaults w/o any action

I joined support who asked for monney and I payed for NOTHING!

This product too young is full of bugs.

Best regards.

Message 7 of 56
Zyon
Aspirant

Hi,

Same here, buy to work at home ... but it's horrible...

Unusable, disconnect every hour, no 5G on some device, slow speed ....

Try all manipulation found on the forum but nothing work ...

Please Netgear update it ....

Message 8 of 56
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Zyon,

If you recently purchased the device your router is provided with 90 days of complimentary support with our support team. Please use the link below to access your complimentary support. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 9 of 56
medic2rsq
Aspirant

Why no moderator answer to my question.  This has been THE WORST router from Netgear I have ever gotten.  Now the warranty period is expired.  You can google this connection problem and it's all over the internet so you guys know it's an issue, and yet no fix.  Unexcusable for a nearly 300 dollar router.  My devices KEEP dropping from the router!

Message 10 of 56
medic2rsq
Aspirant

You can read my ORIGINAL post up above from back in January!

Message 11 of 56
dbodey
Tutor

I'm having same issues. Tech supports answer is to flash the device as it's already on latest firmware (V1.0.3.64_1.0.1). I will try that I have my doubts.

Message 12 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

I am also experiencing drops, all the time! I have AX disabled, QoS disabled, and I have ATT fiber internet. I do have a gig dumb switch between the ATT ONT connection and my netgear RAX40 router to prevent passthrough mode with ATT BGW210 gateway. I am starting to think the ATT gateway is more stable compared to this Netgear device. Its no surprise now as to why this router was discounted at 50% off, reg priced $199.99 and I purchased for $99.99. This has been a terrible product and a firmware needs to be created ASAP to resolve known issues. I just did some research online and the RAX50 router is listed as a top choice for 2020, seriously????

Message 13 of 56
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello patrickbedgood,

Have you had a moment to test the following recommendations provided by one of our Superusers from a previous thread of yours.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/NightHawk-Ax4-WiFi-6-Router-Questi...

Christian 

Message 14 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

I will review the link and keep you posted.

Thanks

Message 15 of 56
Jrispoli
Aspirant

I have had issues of my wifi dropping since I bought this last year. I kept having Comcast come over and try to fix it because I thought it being new wouldn't have been the issue now I'm seeing people have the same problem as myself. Has anyone had luck on a fix? And isn't it insane that you only have 90 days of customer support? You pay more money for a better product and you can't get decent customer service... What the hell.
Message 16 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

Did you try the latest firmware that just relased? 1.0.3.80? I appear to have somewhat stable connection with this firmware release.

Message 17 of 56
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hi

where did you find this f/w ?

Regards

Ron

Firmware Version Check
No new firmware version available.
Message 18 of 56
christer12
Star

Ethernet ports is not stable for me. I connect my Samsung Q90R through LAN, I thought it was stable, but no. Receives many notifications about unstable network connection. Same is my phone. It connects and disconnect

Message 19 of 56
ronald_fr
Luminary

went to netgear and found it (was not there some days before)  ...downloaded

Before change I made a white boot and surprise : now there is a "new firmware clic here" What I did!

New f/w in place; hope not to find new features.

Regards

Ron

Message 20 of 56
Vverdun
Star

Be aware of the new 06-2020 firmware !! it is a nightmare !!! it doesn't work more than 1 hour !!! i will try tonight to downgrade my RAX40. This stuff is a bug himself !!! I paid for that and if I could I would prefer a refund ! Hoorible stuff this RAX40 !!!

Message 21 of 56
ronald_fr
Luminary

RAX40 DEAD AFTER 12 hours with new f/w!

Message 22 of 56
camping147
Guide

Yep. Mine is bricked after upgrading to new firmware. I tried TFTP to upload the firmware via Ethernet cable and static IP but it didn't work. Netgear sucks. Worst product ever. I want my money back.
Message 23 of 56
Vverdun
Star

I succeed in downgrading the firmware to previous version with the web interface.

Netgear = 0 !!!

Message 24 of 56
Gunshy61
Initiate

I have just given up on the RAX40.    I actually thought I had given up 6 mos ago (same dropped devices issue report).   With the firmware update, I finally get (after only 1 day testing, mind you), reliable wireless service.   Now the issue is that my wired ethernet is dropped - connection is dropped anywhere from between 10 seconds and 1 hour.   Cannot even ping the router.  

Swap back in my old R6300 and life is good again.

Piece of garbage, and hurting your reputation, Netgear! 

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 25 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7