× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: RAX40 Wifi Connection Issues with Multiple Devices from Various Manufacturers

msodrew
Initiate

Re: RAX40 Wifi Connection Issues with Multiple Devices from Various Manufacturers

I just want to +1 this whole thread.

My RAX40 reliably drops 5GHz signal everyday. It's an unreliable piece of trash. Since everyone in this thread has expressed the same frustration, I will probably buy a different brand and be done with troubleshooting this issue.

I'm on firmware V1.0.3.64_1.0.1 but won't dare upgrade to the latest V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 because people in this thread say it's even worse.

Netgear absolutely ruined their reputation with me. Never again.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 56
dbodey
Tutor

Re: RAX40 Wifi Connection Issues with Multiple Devices from Various Manufacturers

I have been with RAX40 for just over a month now. Unreliable from the start. I ended up turning off every feature possible so I was running just with the 2.4 Ghz channel and no AX. I still have drop outs from various devices and even found the routers DNS service to be unreliable. The upgrade to  V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 has made no difference to the bad performance. Had two calls with NETGEAR but no fix achieved. I'm so tempted to go back to my old TP-LINK router. Does NETGEAR ever acknowledge they have a problem with their product?

Message 27 of 56
Vverdun
Star

No more 1.0.3.80 firmware proposed through the NightAwk app' 🙂 perhaps too much bugs !

the last one is now v1.0.3.64_1.0.1 (for France)

Please Netgear take time to do a good job and that we obtain an entire functionnal system with all you promised ! 

Thanks.

Regards.

Message 28 of 56
camping147
Guide

I had to send in my RAX40 after the firmware update since it was bricked and now they pull the firmware.  Is Netgear going to refund my 17 bucks in shipping I spent to send them and get sent a new device for a mistake they obviously made?  Probably not since they "Take no responsiblity at all."  Last Netgear product I buy.  Absolute rubbish.  

Message 29 of 56
Vverdun
Star

The 1.03.80 firmware is back on update... who wants to try it ?....

I do not prefer (same name, same problems?)

Message 30 of 56
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

if there were fixes, name of this "BAD-FIRM" would have been changed. That's how it was handled in different companies where  I worked...

If you go inside file properties, this img file has been created June 8th...

So I'll will not test this f/w ... I bet this is the same piece of sh--beep--

BR

Ron

Message 31 of 56
Vverdun
Star

This week 4 times all my 2,4 Ghz All disconnected !! Have to reboot the RAX40 again and again and again !! this piece of s..... !!!

Very angry !!

200 € in the trash for this sh.... !!!

very very very very angry !!!

Message 32 of 56
Kakolak
Initiate

I have been having the same issues for the last 4 weeks, but it has been getting worst in the last few days (connection drops every 1-2hours). Disabled AX et al. But still same issues.

I can’t believe I spent that much money for such a piece of garbage. What’s taking so long to provide a bug fix, netgear? It’s a shame.
Message 33 of 56
grfried
Tutor

RAX45. I have the same problem with my older VisioTV and Roku units drop connections and then I have a problem reconnecting. This capability is so fundamental it is hard to imagine Netgear getting it fixed.

Message 34 of 56
marka58091
Initiate

Oh how I feel all your pain as I go through this issue myself.  Who gives 1 year on hardware but only 90 days of technical support.  I just paid $90 for 6 months of support.  I explained how the router keeps loosing connectivity but the tech just gave himself a pat on the back for getting my wifi up and running.  Now I have wait until it craps out again to wait on hold for next round of troubleshooting.  I have been doing IT for over 20 years, I know a bad router when I see one and bad tech support too.  Any guesses on what my next router will not be? 

Message 35 of 56
dbodey
Tutor

Still in my 90 day support and just got in contact with NetGear. Reported that I am still getting regular WiFi drops outs from multiple devices and even unresponsive DNS at times (even though internet DNS still available). Was advised by NetGEAR Level 1 support that I needed to downgrade to Firmware Version 1.0.3.62 BEFORE they would escalate to Level 2 support. I was on V1.0.3.80 previously which was the latest at the time of posting. Downgrade successful and so far so good, but I will need a day to be sure. Will update then.

Message 36 of 56
kamiarc
Tutor

Rif.: RAX40 Wifi Connection Issues with Multiple Devices from Various Manufacturers

Exactly same issues as everyone is describing, its not even a faulty unit, had it replaced by Amazon (since NETGEAR support was trying to CHARGE ME FOR THE REPLACEMENT UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!!) and the new unit has the exact same issues, speed is lower than Vodafone power station, the RAX40 is simply trash made out of a trash firmware and extremely unsable router, it is a complete pile of trash....

DO NOT BUY this router, doens't matter what you want, it does not provide the advised features, it is simply unuseable, nevery buying anything from netgear again

Message 37 of 56
Tony3326
Aspirant

1.0.3.80_1.0.1 same piece of crap firmware, tomorrow getting a new router and ban netgear products forever.
Message 38 of 56
dbodey
Tutor

Hi all,

As per my previous reply, I just want to let you all know that downgrading to firmware 1.0.3.62 was a huge improvement. I don't experience the regular dropouts anymore. A lot more stable than 1.0.3.80. Not 100% perfect but worth sticking to until Netgear sort out the latest version. Hint: turn off auto upgrade on the router.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 39 of 56
Tony3326
Aspirant

Took a chance to pressure my ISP who recommended me this crappy router during recontract as an 'upgrade', they

gave me this unofficial version from Netgear support "V1.0.3.80_1.0.8" due to too many customer complains. For god's sake

I upgraded with it and within 2 hours the wifi disconnected at least 5-6 times. Netgear is just using us to test their firmware.

Message 40 of 56
kamiarc
Tutor

I've even tried downgrading to V1.0.3.64_1.0.1, didn't work at all, this is a low cost version of their nighthawk modems using cheap components, so they're just using customers as test subjects to maybe (a really low standards maybe) have a functioning version someday... 
Return it and go with Asus or even Tplink (it is better than Netgear nowadays), just stop using netgear and that is it, they will eventually learn by the mistakes and how much s#%! they did make us endure...

Message 41 of 56
kamiarc
Tutor

Even the honer router 3 pro seems to be a better alternative than this box of issues netgear calls a router...

Message 42 of 56
itsmehuey
Luminary

Is Netgear even doing anything about this or even paying attention to this issue at all??? I’ve had this happen on so many occasions over the last 2 months of owning this router. First time this happened I restarted the router and it went to factory settings. Tonight it happened over and over every street turning the router off and on and restarting it too. On the latest firmware.
Message 43 of 56
itsmehuey
Luminary

'every street' was a typo -- supposed to be 'even after'

Message 44 of 56
Tony3326
Aspirant

I agreed with dbodey 1.0.3.62 a lot more stable. So far only drop one time in 2 days as far as I can notice.

However with this old version there no Smart Connect option under wifi setup. I don't think users care about

this option rather than a good stable connection.

Message 45 of 56
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk AX users, 

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the latest RAX40 firmware. I have forwarded the feedback to our product teams for further investigation. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 46 of 56
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Christian_R thank you for finally providing some sort of response to this. Hoping that the tech team can identify the source of this issue and rectify it.. Was a huge disappointment when I purchased and installed the router to have these dropouts constantly happen.

Message 47 of 56
dbodey
Tutor

Thanks Christian. So what can we expect from your forward to product support? Will you or the support team provide updates here?

Message 48 of 56
itsmehuey
Luminary

@dbodey I'm expecting radio silence, as usual..

Message 49 of 56
Divotz2
Tutor

I have had the same issue with RAX40. But I thought it might be I needed an extender, dropping out side connections, purchased Netgear Nighthawk EX7500. Then had trouble with speed, was 100mb, upgraded to 300mb.Cable one said my modem was to old, it was the bottle neck. Went with their recommendation, bought a netgear Nighthawk CM1200. I thought these should work great together, same manufacturer, same product line, latest technology. Same problem, everyday, it drops Shark Robot vac, Ring cameras won't even connect, HP 4050n Laserjet with jet direct sometimes connects, garage door Genie garage opener intermittently has to be reinstalled, attic fan stays connected all the time? I am seriously disappointed in these products. I have never seen a router and modem need to reboot and often setup new to work daily. Someone help us, router has latest update same as modem, extender won't let me update it. I have a service contract on the modem. Could not afford to have on router and ext.
Email me if you figure out what yours is doing, I will as well.. Anyone in tech support who can help us out email or call me, I spent a fortune for these counting on Netgear reliability, advanced enough to prevent us from having to buy new again next year.
Thanks Gary
garylgreco@hotmail.com
Message 50 of 56
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7