× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 creates Folders when External HDD connected

ScrewyS
Aspirant

RAX40 creates Folders when External HDD connected

I setup my RAX40 over the weekend and connected my 10TB external hard drive to it.

The router recognizes it fine, but it'll create 2 folders - "$RECYCLE.BIN" and "DISC-2".
I can't delete them.

When I open the DISC-2 folder, it just opens another screen with all the content on the hard drive.

I didn't have this issue when the external was connected to my R7000.

When I connect the external to my PC by USB 3.0, the 2 folders don't show up as folders, but as another file type and I can delete them.
Reconnect the external to the router, those 2 folders are created again.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: RAX40 creates Folders when External HDD connected

A recent SAMBA implementation with the vfs_recycle module loaded will create a hidden $RECYCLE.BIN folder for Recycle Bin in every mounted drive - the direct access to it as a "normal" folder is prohibited.

Wild guess, the DISC-2 might be a volume label also created by the SAMBA implementation and the RAX mounter.

Afraid, I have no idea what is currently implemented on the RAX - have no such consumer device at hand.

@Christian_R  can you please share some insights?

Message 2 of 7
ScrewyS
Aspirant

I can understand the $RECYCLE.BIN folder since I've seen that before, just odd seeing it since my R7000 never made one, or it wasn't visible.

The DISC-2 seems like a volume folder.
I open the first DISC-2 folder, another folder opens up with my external HDD contents with the DISC-2 folder again.
Open that up, shows the HDD contents for a 3rd time.
When I open that DISC-2 folder, I get an error message.

Just annoying seeing that folder on the hard drive and it's useless.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The R7000 had a very basic and simple SAMBA implementation, proably no recycle bin support.

When looking at the shared folders on the router, is this DISC-2 used as a defautl share name for this disk?

Message 4 of 7
ScrewyS
Aspirant

DISC-2 is not the shared name of the disk.
Does the RAX40 support 10TB external hard drives? I don't think that's the problem, but never know.

The RAX40 is updated to the newest firmware.
My desktop is the latest version of Win10 too.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

With a decent Kernel, the modern universal file system drivers can deal with large capacity block storage.

Some advanced storage devices (NAS) make use of a volume lablel (put onto the disk, becomes visible as a kind of strange file/folder) to identify the storage device, and put up shared folders and access rights - regardless of the port where the storage is connected to.

As I said, afraid, I don't know much about these RAX devices - and I'm not Netgear.

Message 6 of 7
ScrewyS
Aspirant

Hopefully there's a firmware update that'll take care of this.

I can read the files off my external hard drive from the router, so that's all that really matters.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7