× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 cutting my upload speed?

FoxAdv
Aspirant

RAX40 cutting my upload speed?

Hello,

I purchased a RAX40 a few weeks ago. The first few days, my upload speeds were what I was expecting (~30Mbps), but soon after that, I noticed that my upload speeds have been cut in half (now about 13-15Mbps).

I plugged my PC directly into my modem, and I get full speed back (30Mbps), but no matter whether I am directly connected to the router via ethernet or wirelessly via WiFi, my upload speed goes back down to around 13-15Mbps.

Also, all other devices on my network (another PC connected via ethernet plus an iPhone & iPad connected via WiFi) all suffer from the same slower upload speed. Download speed is not affected.

I am on the most recent firmware. I updated to the most recent firmware as soon as I installed the new router, and like I said, for the first few days, my upload speeds were normal (about ~30Mbps).

Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this? I just tried re-installing the latest firmware, but that didn't fix the issue. Should I revert to an older firmware and see if that helps? Or maybe do a factory reset?

Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

PS. Firmware version I am on is 

Message 2 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

One more thing...QoS is off.

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? (model?)

Message 4 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

arris tm1602

Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

A couple things I'd try.

1.hardwire directly into the modem for a couple days. This'll let you see if its a modem/provider issue.  If its staying solid, then keep going.

2. If you've never factory reset, it doesn't hurt. The rax devices are pretty new and respond well to update and reset. 

3. Downgrading is worth a shot. Again the rax devices are  pretty new. its not unheard of for newer device's firmware to have issues. 

Message 6 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

Yes, I've already tried to go directly into the modem as I stated in my first post. When I did this, I immediately got back my full upload speed of 30Mbps, so I was able to rule out the modem or my ISP as the source of the slowdown.

It is only when going through the router (either via wired ethernet or WiFi) that I see a significant reduction in upload speed.

I will try your other two suggestions. Factory reset...and if that doesn't work, I will try an older firmware...although I am reluctant to go to an older firmware because of the issues they pose...namely one of them which is particularly concerning (The router randomly reboots)...that was something that was fixed with the most recent firmware, and I certainly wouldn't want to expose myself to random router reboots...lol

Message 7 of 17
plemans
Guru

@FoxAdv wrote:

Yes, I've already tried to go directly into the modem as I stated in my first post. When I did this, I immediately got back my full upload speed of 30Mbps, so I was able to rule out the modem or my ISP as the source of the slowdown.----I realize that you said it. But you also said that the connection worked well for several days. Did you leave the pc connected for several days or just for testing? 

It is only when going through the router (either via wired ethernet or WiFi) that I see a significant reduction in upload speed.

I will try your other two suggestions. Factory reset...and if that doesn't work, I will try an older firmware...although I am reluctant to go to an older firmware because of the issues they pose...namely one of them which is particularly concerning (The router randomly reboots)...that was something that was fixed with the most recent firmware, and I certainly wouldn't want to expose myself to random router reboots...lol

Can you take a screen snip of your modems connections page? This shows us the link back to your isp. maybe the download lines are good and theres issues on the upload that don't manifest all the time. 

Message 8 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

Does anyone know if there are any beta firmwares available? I've seen a lot of threads on here talking about speed issues relating to RAX routers...there is obviously something to this issue.

Message 9 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

My ISP examined the signal strength outputs of my modem and determined everything was in normal operating range.

As for leaving it directly connected to the modem for a few days, I believe this would be a security risk I would rather not take.

I've already determined that immediately before connecting it to the modem, I was getting sub-par upload speeds....then immediately connecting it to the modem saw the return to normal upload speed....then immediately after that, connecting it back to the router saw the return to sub-par upload speeds - pretty much tells me it isn't the modem.

Message 10 of 17
plemans
Guru

@FoxAdv wrote:

My ISP examined the signal strength outputs of my modem and determined everything was in normal operating range.-----Wouldn't be the first ISP to say that because thats the default first answer. why not post the signal strenghts and logs?  

As for leaving it directly connected to the modem for a few days, I believe this would be a security risk I would rather not take.------Tough to prove its not the modem then. 

I've already determined that immediately before connecting it to the modem, I was getting sub-par upload speeds....then immediately connecting it to the modem saw the return to normal upload speed....then immediately after that, connecting it back to the router saw the return to sub-par upload speeds - pretty much tells me it isn't the modem.-----whenever you change whats hooked to the modem, it requires a reboot to reassign the ip address. so its being rebooted which you've reported fixes the problem for a short time. 

You can try the factory reset/dowgrade. If it fixes the problem, swell. If not, you'll have to investigate the modem a little more. 

Message 11 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

No, rebooting of either the modem or the router has never fixed the problem as of yet. And I've never noticed the modem rebooting when unplugging the router from it and plugging my PC directly into the modem. I would know this since my modem takes a couple of minutes to reboot...and that's not what happens.

Message 12 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

Factory reset did not help things. Which is surprising, considering that like I said, I was getting full upload speeds for the first day or two that I used this router....hmmmmm.....

Message 13 of 17
plemans
Guru

I'd try the downgrade. 

I'd also keep checking the modem. 

Message 14 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

Well, I give up for now.

Multiple firmware downgrades/upgrades. Multiple factory resets. Always the same result.

13.5Mbps upload speeds when I am paying for 30Mbps upload speed.

Download speed fine (paying for 200 and get around 230Mbps)

Connecting directly to modem always gets me back to around 29-30 Mbps upload speed.

Router was giving me 30Mbps upload speed for about a day after buying it, and I haven't seen it again since.

This is the strangest thing.

Message 15 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

Can someone recommend a good replacement for the RAX40? A non-WiFi 6 router that provides comparable performance to a RAX40?

I would like to stick to netgear, and I am still within the return window on Amazon...but since I keep being told I purchased a product on the "bleeding edge" of wifi technology, I think I want to take a step back and go with something that has all the kinks worked out.

So...any recommendations?

Message 16 of 17
FoxAdv
Aspirant

So for now, I've actually decided to go back to the old router provided by Optimum...it's a Sagecom F@st 5260.

Ever since putting it back online, all of my devices now enjoy their full upload speeds (paying for 30Mbps, and now seeing faster than that on speed tests...around 35-40Mbps).

On the RAX40, I was only getting around 13-14Mbps upload speeds.

So...until I actually get WiFi6-capable devices, I'm just going to stick with my old router for now.

I originally bought the RAX40 because I thought my old router was the source of my degrading download speeds...when in fact it was the fault of my internal wifi card in my PC....since putting a new wifi USB adapter on the PC, that has brought back my download speeds.

Thanks everyone for their help...sorry we couldn't get anything resolved with the RAX40...I would have kept it for the future if it would have worked correctly.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7