× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 dropping internet connection

rvbqsdf
Follower

RAX40 dropping internet connection

It seems the router drops internet connection quite randomly. Modem.router does have internet access, so problem is due to the RAX40.

2nd item. It seems that multicast UDP is not supported how can i be sure the router does not transmit multicast UDP over wifi?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 58
gtovett
Initiate

Same here! Anyone have suggestions? About to just return this thing and abandon Netgear forever. 

And no, it is NOT my modem having issues.

Message 2 of 58
gtovett
Initiate

Updated the firmware to latest version using the upload feature within the admin portal. The Auto check for updated firmware did not return any updates but there was in fact a latest version.

All fixed now. No dropped connections in the last 15 hours. 

Message 3 of 58
snowcoyote
Guide

I have updated to the latest firmware (what a pain)(Firmware Version 1.0.3.62) and I still see this happen sometimes. I've even logged into the router and it hasn't shown anything (including in the logs) and seems to think everything is fine, but the wifi on my android phone says it isn't connected to the internet (wifi icon connected but with an exclamation point). Seems to be every two days or so for about a minute or two, then everything is back to normal.

Message 4 of 58
MGorgol
Star

Hello mine also drops randomly and does so with the most recent firmware.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 58
snowcoyote
Guide

Current firmware V1.0.3.64_1.0.1.

Still see occasional connection lags on wifi, usually brief. This morning I had to reset the router completely. The logs showed a DOS attack on port 443, when I looked up the IP it was from my wifes work email server. I will start taking screenshots with Wifi Speed Test. After reboot I'm seeing 126MBit upload with 4ms latency. Before reboot it wasn't working at all. Clearly the router and not the modem.

Message 6 of 58
McDime
Tutor

The same problem here. Very annoying. My previous Lynksys WiFi router didn't have such problem with the same cable modem from the same internet provider.

If you look into your log file, do you also see a lot of "[DHCP IP: 192.168.1....] to MAC address" messages there?

I also see "[DoS attack:ACK Scan]" message coming from outside, but also from inside from my ChromeCast device. Do you have ChromeCast  in your setup?

I think I set all my other settings back to the default values (e.g. no QOS), but it seems it didn't help. 😞

Message 7 of 58

Having the same problem here - brand new routher set up with all default options (changed network name though) updated to the latest firmware as of 5/2/2020 and confirmed on the website.  My apple tv that is 15 feet away drops wifi regularly for a few seconds (a pop-up appears in the corner that says "no network connection"), my internet streaming radio cuts out for a few seconds at random times during the day, my phones and ipads drop wifi connection (the wifi fan icon disappears), my laptops and video conferences cut out from time to time for a few seconds then come back.   The only things that are working great are the hard wired devices. 

this NEVER HAPPENED with my Asus RT-N66U router that I still have... thinking about bringing this netgear back to the store.  i "upgraded" because i wanted faster speeds, but not less reliability.  so far except for one device that is running better due to a firewall issue under the asus router, this has been a downgrade. 

any hints?  this is a big problem I am getting complaints from everybody in the family.  Appreciate any helpful advice! 

Nighthawk AX4: RAX40

Firmware Version V1.0.3.64_1.0.1
Purchased in April 2020

Message 8 of 58

I just reset my router to 'factory' settings using the paperclip in the hole trick.   Hope this fixes it.  Will report back later on results. 

Message 9 of 58
Carl-Cloud
Initiate

I too reset this wireless router using the paperclip reset to  'factory' settings' within three weeks of purchasing this RAX 40 unit (in late Feburary 2020) because of eventual connectivity issuues.

Firmware updates are current.

Since the factory reset, a weekly reboot is needed to keep the Surface tablet connected.   Connectivity issues don't occur with the apple products connected to the wireless network.  I don't have further details to report, in part, because I don't have the time to troubleshoot the unit let alone monitor its performance.  The weekly reboots take care of the connectivity issues and for now, it's tolerable. 

Message 10 of 58
McDime
Tutor

With "AX Mode", "QoS", "Beanforming" and "Airtime fairness" set to OFF, I did not have this issue anymore. I hope this information will help someone.

Unfortunately, my router is already in the garbage bin, as it had also other problems that I could no longer tolerate. And I am really glad I didn't buy RAX120, as I was initially tempting. I am back to rather old Linksys. It has no WiFi 6, but it simply does the job out of the box. I can recommend Linksys (it is already my second router of the same brand), but definitely not Netgear 😞

Message 11 of 58
snowcoyote
Guide

I actually haven't had the same issues I was having before. Upnp turned off QOS turned off. I'm not sure if there is another setting I messed with. Beamforming is turned on.

I've seen the odd thing but not for long enough for me to do anything about or do any troubleshooting.

Message 12 of 58

Thanks for the tips folks, I am going to try turning off "Enable AX."  Would really like to be able to leave this on since we do have some wifi-6 devices (iphone 11).  I bought this router instead of something much cheaper like the TP Link or D-Link to "future proof" especially since we've now got three laptops, four phones, and various mix of ipads, xbox, apple tv, printer, and a Bose Soundtouch all sharing the same airwaves all day now.  Fingers crossed and appreciate the help!  I still have 10 days left on my return period, so if this doesn't do it I might end up sending it back. 

But I'm going to turn off "AX" to try to avoid any additional hassle -- really just wanted this to "just work" out of the box.  Already I've spent far too much time trying to get it to work the way it was always supposed to.  

Thanks and good luck all.  

Message 13 of 58
WilsonNWT
Aspirant

Same here. My RAX40's WIFI is no longer connecting to internet since 9 May 2020. But my app in mobile remote access to the router and stated that the network is fne, with speed test. So i believe there is error in RAX40's WIFI purely. I didn't try factory reset as I want to make sure this is the last resort. Is it about the fireware v1.0.3.64_1.0.1?

Message 14 of 58
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hi,

I purchased RAX40 last October. Since february this is a nightmare :

• iPhone 11 is unable to connect
  • admin web hangs
  • random resets to factory default
  • full system hangs >>> power off-on with some resets to factory default

open SR @ Netgear's support about iPhone11 .... waiting for news soooooo long!

(F/W 1.0.3.64_1.0.1   AX enabled)

BR

Ron

Message 15 of 58
WilsonNWT
Aspirant

Finally my problem is solved by pressing factory reset (using a needle) over A MINUTE. Pressing for one second just reboot the router but pressing as long as possible (i guess i have pressed it over a minute) will actually reset to default.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Message 16 of 58
pbulteel
Star

To anyone reading this looking for a solution. If you can return your RAX40, do so. RUN! DO NOT LOOK BACK!

This router is **bleep** and the firmware that are being released are the worse thing I have ever seen.

Imagine having to reset you Android device after every update? Imagine having to downgrade because it stops working. 

Just do yourself a favor, go return it! 

Message 17 of 58
CBWTEXAS
Aspirant

wifi dropping randomly, having to reboot once a day...  searched for solutions, finally saw a forum where it recommended dropping back to Firmware V1.0.1.41_1.0.1 so I did that.  Seems to have done the trick... hope this helps others with the same issue.

Message 18 of 58
joshy194
Initiate

Betreff: RAX40 dropping internet connection

Having the same issue. Once to twice every day, all devices loose wifi connection. I guess none of you tried to use to enable the access control? Whenever the router is re-starting, randomly devices are getting blocked and you have to somehow get to the router and disable the access control. The support was not of help either. The person hardly understood was i was talking about. At least he tried.

Don't know if I'm going for a Netgear device again.

Message 19 of 58
Edsaenz11
Initiate

Router stops working randomly and every time it needs me to re-register it... NETGEAR won’t help u less I pay them and won’t check hardware (even though I have a warranty) until I do their trouble shooting... which they won’t do unless I pay them. Money hungry company can’t even stand by its product.
Message 20 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

I can't believe how bad Netgear are witih their product support especially when there's clearly widespread issues plaguing so many of their RAX products... 

Message 21 of 58
joshy194
Initiate

I solved it like many others, returned the product and bought one from a different vendor.

I'm very upset, as I have been a loyal customer for nearly 10 years.

Message 22 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

I wish I could return mine too but I’m already passed the return period. Sigh. Shame on you Netgear for talking up your products and after purchasing, you don’t even help your customers when they have issues with them.
Message 23 of 58
owenico
Guide

Pls stop spent your time on this problem RAX40.  Return it and ask the manufacuturer to recall, or even  refuns. I am usually friend of Netgear (R6300 and  R7000P, and other in the past). But, this time. I had to stop to purchase this brand in future! Go for ASUS!!!

@itsmehuey wrote:
I wish I could return mine too but I’m already passed the return period. Sigh. Shame on you Netgear for talking up your products and after purchasing, you don’t even help your customers when they have issues with them.

Message 24 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

I cannot return it. As I mentioned previously, it has passed the return period. @Christian_R has escalated my case to L2 support so let's see what happens out of that. Am now waiting for a call from a dedicated L2 support tech to discuss.

Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7