× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 dropping internet connection

decl
Tutor

I'm on the same boat. I actually had this issue two weeks from purchase date. Called support and made me change some router settings. A month later, again! I called again... 2 hours on the phone with them... UNACCEPTABLE. After that, a third time (today!). This time, the router doesn't even resolve the issue after power cycle. Customer support asked me to purchase support plan to go forward with fix. Unbelievable. I had to hard reset the router, and now it won't take any settings changes, such as changing the SSID of the network. This is the first and last time I buy netgear.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

@decl wrote:

I'm on the same boat. I actually had this issue two weeks from purchase date. Called support and made me change some router settings. A month later, again! I called again... 2 hours on the phone with them... UNACCEPTABLE. After that, a third time (today!). This time, the router doesn't even resolve the issue after power cycle. Customer support asked me to purchase support plan to go forward with fix. Unbelievable. I had to hard reset the router, and now it won't take any settings changes, such as changing the SSID of the network. This is the first and last time I buy netgear.

It's just downright robbery and unacceptable behaviour for them to ask you to PURCHASE A SUPPORT PLAN for them to FIX AN ISSUE THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR! This will be the last time I ever buy a Netgear product ever again.

Message 27 of 58
csw3190
Tutor

@decl @itsmehuey   I had almost exactly the same experience with my RAX75. 4+ hours on with support. Over a dozen calls, terrible reps that are just following a script with very little capacity to help. Let me send my logs to someone who knows the firmware and could actually help.

@netgear wants me to a) pay for premium support in order to solve a firmware issue that they are responsible for, and b) have the **bleep** to ask me to pay for sending my miserable Netgear product back to them, so that they can send me a new one with terrible software. Such a shame because I was a happy R6700v2 customer for years. Bye bye Netgear! 

Thankfully, Costco has a generous return policy and I can't wait for a) my next trip there, and b) for my ASUS router to arrive.

Message 28 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

OK folks we may be getting somewhere. I just got off the phone with a L2 support rep as my case was esclated by Christian_R. I was provided with an updated beta firmware (RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.6) which I'll be testing over the next day or so. All seems OK at the moment but it's still too far to tell. I currently have AX disabled, but I will be enabling it soon to see if it works on this firmware version. 

Also, I no longer have issues with my TP-Link KASA KP303 smart power strips crashing my router whenever it tries to establish a connection.

Fingers crossed this beta will be good to go to be released as an official build.

Message 29 of 58
All_Lucky_7s
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else! I even have a KS200 light wall switch that crashes the router too when I try to run through the app configuration. Netgear really needs to fix the problems with the AX40. I hate having to reboot it all the time. 

Message 30 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

@All_Lucky_7s wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else! I even have a KS200 light wall switch that crashes the router too when I try to run through the app configuration. Netgear really needs to fix the problems with the AX40. I hate having to reboot it all the time. 

I'd highly suggest you get in contact with netgear support ASAP and ask them to provide you with the beta firmware version V1.0.3.83_1.0.6. It has fixed my issues with the power strip crashing my router causing bootloops. I can now establish a connection with the RAX40 and my power strips.

Message 31 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

OK I may have spoke too soon. Encountered a dropout tonight of WIFI - all devices disconnected and SSIDs were still visible however unable to reconnect. All lights green (solid). Looks like something is still faulty with the firmware even in this beta. Albeit, I did have AX enabled. I will continue to monitor and capture logs for the support team. Another issue I ran into with the firmware is that trying to access the admin console I received a 500 Internal Error code.

Message 32 of 58
decl
Tutor

Incredible the amount of problems this router has. I can’t contact support unless I pay, despite having contacted them for the same issue since week #2 from purchase date.

Please keep us posted. Thank you!
Message 33 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

@decl wrote:
Incredible the amount of problems this router has. I can’t contact support unless I pay, despite having contacted them for the same issue since week #2 from purchase date.

I'm supposed to have a follow-up call with the same L2 tech expert I was talking to yesterday (nice polite person btw), so let's see where this leads. trying to gather more data for escalation even further.

Message 34 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

@itsmehuey wrote:

@decl wrote:

I'm supposed to have a follow-up call with the same L2 tech expert I was talking to yesterday (nice polite person btw), so let's see where this leads. trying to gather more data for escalation even further.

update: I've just gotten off the phone with L2 tech expert for follow up on my case.. was on the phone for a good hour working with them to collect logs, configuration backup file, screenshots of various things, and other data to try facilitate escalation of this ridiculous issue. They said I'd hear back from them within 3-7 days... I'm still not very hopeful. 

I'll be sticking to this beta firmware until then and monitoring any further drops in WIFI. The internal 500 error when accessing the router's admin console / debug page is an odd one too.

Message 35 of 58
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

I'm running with V1.0.3.83_1.0.2 weeks ago. Widely better than 1.0.0.80

I only got an issue this morning (can't access to admin + one device unable to reconnect)

Power off - on and all went back.

Best regards

Ron

Message 36 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

@ronald_fr wrote:

Hello,

I'm running with V1.0.3.83_1.0.2 weeks ago. Widely better than 1.0.0.80

I only got an issue this morning (can't access to admin + one device unable to reconnect)

Power off - on and all went back.

Best regards

Ron

hi ron, when you mentioned that you weren't able to access the admin page is that due to the internal 500 error page which requires a reboot of the router in order for you to access it again? that's the same issue i'm having with the v1.0.3.83_1.0.2 beta firmware also. 

yes it is miles better than the previous and dreaded .80 firmware, but i did still encounter one wifi crash on the first day that i was using it. however, per the debug page it's been about 1 day and 7 hours since the last time i rebooted the router so let's hope it holds up.

Message 37 of 58
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

2 last times I was unable to connect to admin web page (not responding) w/o the error 500 I got with previous beta f/w. (With V1.0.3.83_1.0.2 there are less issues with the admin web.)

When the web page doesn't respond, the Netgear app on iPhone doesn't work too

Only way to recover is reboot (power off - on)

Best regards

Ron

Message 38 of 58
owenico
Guide

Dear Ron, 

Are you planning to play the "Escape the Rat Race" game (i.e. hurger for the new firmware, but disappoint again and again), without ending? From my warmest advice, pls get rid of of "Netgear RAX40". You will enjoy your time with your love one much.

I will still reman at firmware of version 64, not go for any beta of "Netgear".  To test the firmware, it is the work of "Negear Technical Team", not for the layman of us (i.e. simple client or users.). We had already paid them, purchased this tricky product. 

My further advice. My life is much much better while  using "ASUS".

The best regards, 

Owen 

Message 39 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

@owenico wrote:

Dear Ron, 

Are you planning to play the "Escape the Rat Race" game (i.e. hurger for the new firmware, but disappoint again and again), without ending? From my warmest advice, pls get rid of of "Netgear RAX40". You will enjoy your time with your love one much.

I will still reman at firmware of version 64, not go for any beta of "Netgear".  To test the firmware, it is the work of "Negear Technical Team", not for the layman of us (i.e. simple client or users.). We had already paid them, purchased this tricky product. 

My further advice. My life is much much better while  using "ASUS".

The best regards, 

Owen 

Firstly, this was so utterly painful to read. I'm assuming English is not your native language. 

Secondly, not everyone is able to "get rid of Netgear RAX40" as the return period for most of us has lapsed. Trying to sell off the router will result in financial loss as we would not be able to sell it for as much as we purchased it for.

Finally, those of us whom are on the beta firmware are doing so because we have exhausted all of our options and are doing whatever we can to get the product for which we paid for to work optimally and without faults. That being said, the beta firmware that I've been on for the last few days has been working much better. It has been online for approximately 4 days now without any WIFI disconnections/dropouts and I am still able to access the router admin/debug consoles without encountering the Internal 500 error anymore.

The best of the best regards,

Hieu.

Message 40 of 58
Angef
Aspirant

I was having the same issue.  Ensure that the Modem is set up in Bridge mode (not as a Modem / Router). 

Seems to have fixed the problem.

@rvbqsdf wrote:

It seems the router drops internet connection quite randomly. Modem.router does have internet access, so problem is due to the RAX40.

2nd item. It seems that multicast UDP is not supported how can i be sure the router does not transmit multicast UDP over wifi?

Message 41 of 58
Chana88
Apprentice

Hi I went back to .64 firmware as everyone was suggesting this cures the WiFi dropouts

but in my case this made it worse nothing connecting WiFi and lan dropouts 

so I went back to .80 firmware so far all good

no reboot for a week and no dropouts 

no idea what going on there

Message 42 of 58
Chana88
Apprentice

Any one got the beta firmware we can try out

Message 43 of 58
snowcoyote
Guide

I haven't had issues in months. Latest firmware (V1.0.3.80_1.0.1) seems fine to me. Turned of Qos Disable AX and smart connect. Not saying this is an option for everyone, but work for me.

May also help to make sure you are only on one wifi network and Android isn't toggling between 2.4 and 5G. I found my phone was getting stuck on 2.4 and running slow.

Message 44 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

Beta cannot be shared. You just obtain from support.
Message 45 of 58
Chana88
Apprentice

No worries old pal I won't share my knowledge with you you obtain it from support 

don't need it any way working a treat with .80 software 

with AX on 

no drop out or reboots

Message 46 of 58
itsmehuey
Luminary

Ok then good for you. I was simply saying that it must be obtained through Netgear support and cannot be shared. That’s all part of the user agreement of the beta testing that it cannot be freely shared. So no need to be passive aggressive about it.
Message 47 of 58
Chana88
Apprentice

Still working good

with qos on and smart connect 

no problem at all

no reboot required

Message 48 of 58
decl
Tutor

Is that with the latest official firmware?
Message 49 of 58
Chana88
Apprentice

Yes it is

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7