× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 dropping signal

itsmehuey
Luminary

reverting back to an older firmware shouldn't be deemed as a solution.. the solution should be that Netgear FIX the latest firmware that they released. It does not make sense to me how they could release the firmware, with release notes mentioning that WIFI crashes were fixed, when they in fact made them worse.. I have reverted back to the previous firmware as most people on the forum (as well as Netgear support) have recommended and yes, no more WIFI dropouts, but Netgear shouldn't pat themselves on the back for this "fix" as it's not fixing the problem. The problem is the new firmware which needs to be inspected, fixed, re-tested and re-released.

Message 26 of 107
kirkvino
Initiate

I made a mistake of updating to the newest version last night and what a day I had today!
I have to say that I’m shocked that the company would keep such a buggy firmware update on their website and force it via the mobile app! This new firmware should’ve been pulled months ago.
Anyway, my issue was related to my Apple TV completely stalling the router and making it kick out all the devices until a router reboot. After each reboot the router worked until you tried streaming anything on the Apple TV, after which the same issue would happen immediately.
The factory reset did not solve it. I had to roll back to the previous firmware (64) and it seems to have fixed it!
My advice, don’t update this router to the latest firmware and if you did and are having issues, roll back to the previous version.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 27 of 107
Bentl78
Guide

Can someone on this board who still have 90 days tech support tell the tech support team to remove the freakin’ firmware until a new one is made? It’s so stupid that we can’t even email
Or report bugs!
Message 28 of 107
xpm
Star
Star

After a ticket is closed, they send you a survey. Since I had to open three, I just finished the last survey and I didn't hold back on the criticism of their support and the buggy firmware that they still have up on their servers. I don't know if will do any good but I told them their support sucks and that they should remove the firmware before it causes more problems for their customers. 

Message 29 of 107
Bentl78
Guide

Hope at least someone acknowledges it and removes the firmware.. with our setting of not updating firmware automatically we won’t even know if a new WORKING one is available!!
Message 30 of 107
RYWK
Initiate

I have same issue too and I found this is HomeKit issue , When I using AirPlay to HomePod , WiFi will dropping Signal . I back to 1.0.3.64_1.0.1, everything is fine !
Message 31 of 107
LSIMM
Guide

Yeah same for me, in that it appears to suddenly have no internet, even though the internet status is showing connected/good.

Also the 5Ghz wireless randomly seems to stop working, even though 2.4Ghz works fine.  I've tried different channels for 5Ghz but makes no difference, plus all the wireless checks indicate the channel its on is suffering no interference etc...

Of course, also on V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 and none of this happened before this version.

Message 32 of 107
xpm
Star
Star

Went back to the previous version of firmware 1.0.3.64 and all the problems go away.  The greater problem is they still have crap version still up on their download page and any router that set to auto update will get the bad version. It seem they don't care. Also my router has recently reached the end of their 90 day free support and they keep asking me to NOW pay for support. Fat chance! If you went throught the posts on this issue you will notice that there are a whole lot a people with the same problems. I had three diffent spport people tell me about what they thoght was the problem. I finally figured it out and with the help of the last support person, I reverted to the previous version.

Good Luck

Message 33 of 107
Bentl78
Guide

So the support people know to revert your previous firmware and they are unwilling to take the firmware down? This is just crazy...
Message 34 of 107
owenico
Guide

(Alternative solution) You may try to revoke back to firmware v64. At least the dropping occurrance was much lesser.

Message 35 of 107
owenico
Guide

Agreed. It is the best solution, that is the same I am doing. 

Message 36 of 107
ncdancer
Guide

@ngrover wrote:
I ended up swapping for an ASUS AX3000. This being the final straw, I have had multiple issues over the last year and change from SmartConnect not working at all to spontaneous reboots. I couldn’t go much more than a week without some sort of issue.
I also got the ASUS AX3000 and I love it. It's been running about a week with no problems and the web portal and the app are so much more robust and visually superior. I was past my return date so I could not return it.

Message 37 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

if only swapping for a different modem/router was a viable option for me.. the RAX40 is straight up garbage and netgear are taking ages to release a new firmware for it.

Message 38 of 107
Anand_2684
Aspirant

Reverting to an older firmware didn't really help much. Now i face other issues:

1. If i re-boot the router: there is no internet connection for 30 minutes

2. Takes >5 minutes to reboot

3. The devices it's connected to suddenly disconnect and then reconenct almost immediately - which is terrible when doing videocalls and day-trading.

Netgear should stop selling an half-baked product and refund the poor souls who bought this product.

Message 39 of 107
owenico
Guide

In my guess, you didn't completely revert back to the older version firmware/

My layman suggestion: 

1) Disconnect all the devices from router

2) Do the factoy reset, be patience in order to let this machine do it completetly & auomatically

3) Refresh the V64 firmware, be very very patience again.

Hope this can work!.

If problem insisted, do the same thing of me, buy a new Asus AX3000!

Message 40 of 107
Anand_2684
Aspirant

I tried all of that again, and it didn't work unfortunately. I guess I'm gonna have to go for the ASUS now. No issues with the Asus till now

@owenico wrote:

In my guess, you didn't completely revert back to the older version firmware/

My layman suggestion: 

1) Disconnect all the devices from router

2) Do the factoy reset, be patience in order to let this machine do it completetly & auomatically

3) Refresh the V64 firmware, be very very patience again.

Hope this can work!.

If problem insisted, do the same thing of me, buy a new Asus AX3000!

?

Message 41 of 107
ngrover
Guide

What is weird is that netgear won’t support their product. I think getting a new router is literally the ONLY solution. So I’ll keep it marked as solved, unless you have a valid solution suggestion? I keep getting replies so people are seeing this, and showing as solved will probably get more eyes since people are looking for a solution.

The issues everyone seem to be sharing are a widespread concern and it’s awful business acumen to leave paying customers high and dry. If this was some small device, I’d get it. But a ‘flagship’ WiFi 6 device?? Absolutely wild.
Message 42 of 107
Goldenbrown21
Initiate

Hi all,

I've had this issue since purchasing the router in March (and this was with the 64 firmware). I was getting occasional dropouts but having massive connection flapping and BSD on my Surface Pro tablet. I thought it was the tablet and got it replaced by Microsoft, but it still has the same issues and will only work if it's connected via 5Ghz  and located in a different room to the router (go figure?!).

Since working from home, I have noticed that I get regular dropouts on all of my devices, and then a complete shut-down of network due to "DOS attacks" (according to the log) that aren't actually DOS attacks. 

Firmware changes haven't made any difference, and I've been through support with no luck and no solution. 

I hope this gets looked into as it's not a cheap router (especially in Aus!). I'll look into the Asus that's been spruiked on this thread and maybe donate this hunk of junk to an electronical engineering student.

Netgear - shame on you.

Message 43 of 107
xpm
Star
Star

Reverting to the 64 firmware version worked in my case. I haven't had any issues since the reversion and that been almost two months. I would make sure your on the 64 version becuse the RAX40 router has an auto update option which I disabled in my case. If you can't get it to work, I would definitely consider getting an ASUS router. 

Message 44 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Yes same problem wifi drops out lan ports drop out only way to resolve is to reboot which i have to do everyday at least once day using latest firmware
Message 45 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Just rebooted twice within a hour WiFi dropped out again

Message 46 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

I went back to software 1.0.3.64 as others suggested it sovles wifi drop outs 

Mine was even worse wifi dropping out lan ports dropping out

So only solution was to upgrade back to 1.0.3.80

Since putting this back on had no wifi drop outs or lan port drop outs so fingers crossed this has worked 

Message 47 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

OK after weeks and numerous follow ups to my L2 support representative, they finally have another beta for me to test.. RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.10 dated 4th November 2020

I'll be testing and monitoring over the course of the week and will report back my findings and experience with the update.

Message 48 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Thanks pal keep us updated with your findings

Message 49 of 107
CTrain
Aspirant

I have nothing substantial to add but I just want to add my voice to the list of people experiencing problems.

I have also past the return period for this and so have swapped it 3 times through an RMA for defective merchandise.  I complained to the vendor about how I'm stuck with this - instead of immediately returning it I spent hours and days with tech support, therefore going past the return period.

I am looking forward to a firmware update which I hope makes this thing usable.  But after this experience I won't be buying a Netgear product again.

Message 50 of 107
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7