× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 dropping signal

Chana88
Apprentice

Yes same here very poor product from netgear

lets hope itsmehuey finds the beta software he is testing is any good

Message 51 of 107
JansuTheGreat
Aspirant

Is the accepted solution here seriously to buy  an ASUS router?

My Iphone 6S Plus has been able to connect to my  NightHawk RAX40 for the last year, and within a month of my year date it wont connect.  I have tried  factory reset of the router. Updated to the most recent firmware. Tried resetting all of my network settings on my phone. I am able to connect to other networks just fine, but for some reason something changed and  I can no longer connect my phone.

The weird thing is that my Iphone gets an IP assigned and the router considers it to be connected, butt he WI-FI icon on the phone does not display.

I have seen some other explanations that this may be related to the fact that my router is connected to my Xfinity/Comcast modem, but the only reason that does not  seem to fit logically is because when I do connect and get an ip address assigned I cannot reach any local addresses from my phone still. Such as the router login page, etc. 

Any ideas on what I need to fix to get this working again?

NightHawk RAX40

Firmware Version V1.0.3.80_1.0.1
Hardware Version R1.05

Thank you

James Anderson

Message 52 of 107
xpm
Star
Star

The only way I found to fix this problem is to roll back to the previous version of the routers firmware which I believe is the the 1.0.3.64 version. The1.03. 80 version which I and many others had installed  was the problem. After I roll it back, the problems were solved. Don't forget to disable automatic update of the firmware in the settings of the router. I don't know why netgear has not done anything to fix the faulty 80 version, but it I don't think I would buy another netgear product. Also, I to have Xfinity modem/router that I use as a modem only because its in the basement and it would be difficult to move it upstairs in my house.

Message 53 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

beta testers such as myself have provided our inputs to the engineering team on the latest beta firmware.. it's now in their hands to provide an updated public release

Message 54 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Hi itsmehuey was the beta firmware any good, many bugs in there

Message 55 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Chana88 wrote:

Hi itsmehuey was the beta firmware any good, many bugs in there

haven't had any issues with the latest beta firmware. not a single disconnect or wifi drop for over 2 weeks now.

Message 56 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

That might be the firmware we all been waiting for

Message 57 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Chana88 wrote:

That might be the firmware we all been waiting for

doesn't make sense to me why they're taking so long to release, when many of us have given our feedback to engineering team weeks ago.

Message 58 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Any news on the new firmware yet?

Message 59 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

no body here knows. it's all in the hands of the software engineering team working on the RAX40 development. 

Message 60 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

How's the firmware been for you. Is it stable?

Message 61 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Chana88 wrote:

How's the firmware been for you. Is it stable?

haven't had a single issue. so yes, 100% stable now.

Message 62 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Nice one just need NetGear to realase it for every one now

Message 63 of 107
Diethul
Initiate

Wouldn't it be great if itsmehuey had a link some place so we could all "test" it too...
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 64 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

If it wasn’t against the rules outlined in the terms & conditions / NDA agreement then I would have shared it weeks ago. But unfortunately, I cannot.
Message 65 of 107
Diethul
Initiate

I completely understand...it's just unfortunate 😕
Message 66 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

They know everyone having problems should release asap

itsmehuey ask your support guy time scale when they will release firmware to rest of us

Message 67 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Chana88 wrote:

They know everyone having problems should release asap

itsmehuey ask your support guy time scale when they will release firmware to rest of us

i no longer have direct line of engagement with my support rep as they have already closed my support case.

Message 68 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Oh well will just have to hang on in there

Message 69 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Firmware 1.0.3.88 has been released

This firmware version does not support OFDMA, WPA3, and Smart Connect. If you wants to use these features, roll back the firmware to the last version V1.0.3.80.

Message 70 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

Yep. Netgear have seriously screwed up. It’s really crap of them that they also have a v2 of the RAX40 as well. I believe we have been absolutely played here by Netgear with the v1.
Message 71 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

What is the v2 rax40 

Message 72 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

Nobody really knows but it’s up as a different model on the support page - https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX40v2 meaning they sneakingly made a second version of it with potentially different and upgraded internals whilst making us with version 1 suffer with issues.
Message 73 of 107
Chana88
Apprentice

Is it worth upgrading firmware to 1.0.3.88

Message 74 of 107
itsmehuey
Luminary

If you’re still having dropout issues then yes. I haven’t upgraded yet and still on beta.
Message 75 of 107
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7