× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 router stability driver issues

jvamos
Tutor

RAX40 router stability driver issues

I am having stability issues with the latest firmware. Are there any devices known to cause issues with older drivers specifically? I have seen it mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
plemans
Guru

What stability issues are you having? 

What firmware are you on? 

What modem is it connected to? 

Was there issues prior to updating the firmware? if not, a reasonable first step for issues after firmware changes is to reset/reinstall. 

Message 2 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

hey plemans,

I did everything short of a reinstall or reflash. I have tried turning off some extra features as well. V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 is the version I am on presently.

The issue is the router locks up and the radios seem to go offline. I haven't tried accessing it via the browser during one of these lockups yet. I have just used the power switch to cycle the router.

I have a switch connected as well. The modem doesn't seem to be the issue.
I have had stability issues on a previous version as well.

Message 3 of 22
plemans
Guru

I'd start with the factory reset first. 

Message 4 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

I have given that a go. Does WPA3 have backwards compatibility with 2? I was thinking of relogging some of the older clients in.

Message 5 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

What is your process for a reflash? Which browser do you use?

Message 6 of 22
plemans
Guru

I usually use chrome. 

I also prefer to do it over a hardwired connection. 

Then its just follow the manual firmware update process and use the firmware you choose.

Yes wpa3 should be backwards compatible. 

Message 7 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

Looking in my logs I noticed more attacks on my QNAP which I have had to change the ports on just to stem the attacks.
There are botnets crawling the net trolling for outdated firmware.
It seems pretty stable now after doing an upload of the firmware in chrome. Will report back in a week or so.

Message 8 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

Two days in and I have an old iPad that will not join the network. I have forgotten the network and re-entered the password and no luck.

Message 9 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

I have an MD513C/A model iPad that won't connect when I reset to factory and change my wifi settings back to wpa3/2. I have tried rebooting the iPad and router. It's on iOS10.3.3

Message 10 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

Seems directly linked to WPA3. If I go back to WPA2(AES) everything connects again. Wondering why this would happen.

Message 11 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

The router is unstable again. It is losing connection every once and a while and the firmware completely locks up.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 22
itsmehuey
Luminary

everyone's having issues with the RAX40 but Netgear won't do anything about it other than tell you to purchase a support/service plan. Criminals.

Message 13 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

Still getting random lockups.
Message 14 of 22
itsmehuey
Luminary

have you contacted support yet? I'd do whatever you can to keep on pestering them and if that doesn't help, contact Christian_R to escalate. The only reason I've been able to get anywhere is after escalation to L2. Then, they actually provided me with beta firmware to test, which is running very well. No WIFI dropouts since the one I encountered on the first day and the router has been up and running for the last 6 days. 

Message 15 of 22
jimi_AU
Tutor

I purchased a RAX40 here in Australia just a week ago. It also needs a reboot every day or two as it locks up and become unresponsive.

I'm going to see what support tells me.

Message 16 of 22
itsmehuey
Luminary

@jimi_AU wrote:

I purchased a RAX40 here in Australia just a week ago. It also needs a reboot every day or two as it locks up and become unresponsive.

I'm going to see what support tells me.

Hey mate, I'm also in Australia. So that you don't end up with so much of a headache like most of us have, if you're able to, I'd recommend that you just return it and get something else. I've unfortunately missed the opportunity to return mine so I have no other option but to pester support and get Netgear folks on these forums to escalate. I'm currently using a beta firmware which looks pretty promising - have only ever had 1 initial WIFI drop the first day I installed the beta firmware. Since then it's been pretty rock solid for the most part.

Message 17 of 22
jimi_AU
Tutor

Hi, my name is Jimi and I'm a RAX40 owner. It has been 4 days since my last reboot.

AA jokes aside, I think I have resolved my issues.

In case it helps others, here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the V1.0.3.80_1.0.1firmware from Netgear Support website: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX40.aspx#download and saved it to my local computer

2. Logged into the router web admin console using a web browser on the computer

3. Navigated to the Router Update page

4. Uploaded the firmware image previously saved on the computer (NOT the "Check for new version from the Internet" option).

5. Once the firware update completed, performed a factory reset by using a paperclip to press and hold the reset button.

6. Reconfigured the router from scratch using the web admin console (NOT the Nighthawk Mobile App).

I have a feeling doing the factory reset after rather than before the firmware update is important.

For Reference: I have hardware version R1.05.

I did previously get a response from Netgear Support, but I personally did not find it helpful. Just in case others find it useful, I will paste the information below:

►Dropping/intermittent connection for both wired and wireless

How do I change the MTU size on my Nighthawk router?
https://kb.netgear.com/24015/How-do-I-change-the-MTU-size-on-my-Nighthawk-router

►Dropping/intermittent connection using wireless

How do I change the wireless channel on my NETGEAR router?
https://kb.netgear.com/23783/Improving-2-4Ghz-Wireless-Performance-by-Changing-Channel

►Still experiencing intermittent/dropping connection after changing MTU and wireless channel, follow the link below;

How do I update the firmware on my NETGEAR router with a web browser?
https://kb.netgear.com/23442/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router-with-a-web-browser

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router?
https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

How do I install my NETGEAR router using the router web interface?
https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

Message 18 of 22
jimi_AU
Tutor

I may last post I forgot to mention I used a computer connected to the router via an ethernet cable, not via wifi.

Message 19 of 22
itsmehuey
Luminary

If you hadn’t realised, everyone’s drop out issues are wifi related when they were on firmware version 1.38.80. I have a Philips Hue bridge connected via Ethernet but doesn’t get affected by the wifi drops obviously because it’s not connected via wifi. Where as everything else in the house is connected via wifi.

Also as mentioned previously, I’m not having wifi drop issues after installing the beta firmware from L2 support.
Message 20 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

I seem to be having increased stability with markedly longer uptimes without issue since removing an old HK1 Super Android TV box from my wifi network. I'm pretty sure it was an N wireless client but the box itself was lacking on specs or linux support so I couldn't really figure out the model of the USB wifi adapter it was using. My only hint was that it was experiencing internet issues first before all other clients and then the entire network would come down. I would have loved to do more troubleshooting with wireshark to help document the issue better but I didn't think of it at the time and now the box is gone and I won't be able to get a definitive answer. The router gui locked up during these crashes so I wasn't really able to get anything out of the logs at that point. Do you have any old wifi devices?   

Message 21 of 22
jvamos
Tutor

This is all good advice but each one is really a fix for a specific issue. The best shotgun attempt on the list has to be restoring the firmware over a good connection and then reseting the router to defaults before trying again. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7