× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 setup fails with pc and app

Uncreative54
Initiate

RAX40 setup fails with pc and app

I am trying to set up my new RAX40 and when I log in with my pc it does an infinite "problem detecting internet connection" loop. Which is weird because the internet connection indicator on the router is solid green.

The problem persists whether the pc is hardlined or wifi connected to the router. I've turned things (PC, router, cable modem) on and off in every sequence imaginable.

Then I installed the app. There's no QR code, so I have to connect with wifi. The app throws a check mark down for detecting the router AND detecting the internet. Then it makes me set up my wifi, password, and challenge questions. Then it fails to apply the changes. Infinitely.

I read a thread from may of last year where someone had my identical issue. They skipped the setup in the app and went to manual setup, at which time they were able to do a firmware update and everything worked! Which is great, but I don't see a skip option in the app, so I have no idea what to do.

I have to teach remotely on monday and am stressing the f*%$k out.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

What modem sits on front of this thing?

Have you tried a direct connection from a PC to the RAX40 with nothing else connected?

@Uncreative54 wrote:

I've turned things (PC, router, cable modem) on and off in every sequence imaginable.

There is only one order that works. Anything else will get things wrong.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

The first thing to do is to ensure that the modem itself is working as expected. Then start thinking about other stuff.

If you have been playing around with the router, it might be a good idea to reset it to factory defaults.

@Uncreative54 wrote:

Then I installed the app. There's no QR code, so I have to connect with wifi. The app throws a check mark down for detecting the router AND detecting the internet. Then it makes me set up my wifi, password, and challenge questions. Then it fails to apply the changes. Infinitely.

Experienced users avoid going anywhere near apps. Wired is best.

Then again, I am not sure that I understand what you are doing. Connect how and to what with wifi?

Message 2 of 5
additude
Virtuoso

Simplify and cables only to start.

This sort of sounds like an incompatability between the Router and the Modem.

Be sure and verify that you have a NEW and good cable from the yellow WAN port to the Modem.

Look at the CAT connector and make sure no bent connector wires or foreign obstructions like dirt or dust.

Message 3 of 5
Uncreative54
Initiate

I had to turn bridge mode /off/ on the stupid tg1682g gateway (the cable modem fried and I'm stuck with this xfinity monstrosity til next paycheck). And that was annoyingly difficult considering you can't hardline into the gateway guide once it's in bridge mode.

Anyway, after disabling bridge mode, the netgear genie was able to detect the internet and then fail completely. But at least that time the failure brought up the option for manual setup. So I immediately updated the firmware. After that things started working properly and I was able to set up my wifi.

I held my breath a little when putting the tg1682g back into bridge, but everything works now! Hooray! I only had to stay up til dawn fixing it!
Message 4 of 5
additude
Virtuoso

Awesome!

Rock on bro.... get some sleep... 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements