Reply

Re: RAX40 static route

laurichj
Aspirant

RAX40 static route

I need to configure a static route to make 192.168.100.1 routeable from the local network. Where some routers can configure this to route to the upstream/internet interface, the RAX40 requires an IP which is dynamically assigned. Is there a way to configure this to keep the gateway ip pointed at the at the upstream interface?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
antinode
Guru

Re: RAX40 static route

> I need to configure a static route to make 192.168.100.1 routeable
> from the local network. [...]

 

   I don't know what that means.

 

   General advice: You might have more success if you described the
actual problem which you are trying to solve, rather than asking how to
implement some particular "solution" ("configure a static route [...]")
which may have little or nothing to do with the actual problem (whatever
it might be).

Message 2 of 8
laurichj
Aspirant

Re: RAX40 static route

Ok, I have a starlink dish with an ip of 192.168.100.1. I have an RAX40 connected to it. I need devices connected to the RAX40 on the 192.168.1.0/24 network to be able to route to 192.168.100.1 via the uplink interface.

Message 3 of 8
antinode
Guru

Re: RAX40 static route

> [...] I have a starlink dish [...]

 

   Not a very detailed description of that device.

 

> [...] with an ip of 192.168.100.1. [...]

 

   That's its LAN IP address?  Why, exactly, are you trying to add the
RAX40 to your (unspecified) "a starlink dish"?  Better wireless-network
coverage, or what?

 

> [...] I need devices connected to the RAX40 on the 192.168.1.0/24

> network to be able to route to 192.168.100.1 via the uplink interface.

 

   How did you configure the WAN/Internet interface on the RAX40?

 

   If the WAN/Internet interface on the RAX40 is configured properly,
then devices on its LAN should use it as their default gateway, and you
shouldn't need to worry about routes.


   If your (unspecified) "a starlink dish" includes a router (which,
given that "192.168.100.1" address, seems likely), then you might want
to configure the RAX40 as a wireless access point.

 

   Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Set up the router as a WiFi access point".

Message 4 of 8
laurichj
Aspirant

Re: RAX40 static route


@antinode wrote:

> [...] I have a starlink dish [...]

 

>   Not a very detailed description of that device?.

 

SpaceX's Starlink is an internet provider. They use satilite dishes, so this is essentially my modem.

 

> [...] with an ip of 192.168.100.1. [...]

 

>   That's its LAN IP address?  Why, exactly, are you trying to add the
> RAX40 to your (unspecified) "a starlink dish"?  Better wireless-network
> coverage, or what?

 

Yes, 192.168.100.1 is the dish's IP.

 

I'm connecting it because I want internet access. I'm setting up the static route because I'd like to know when its obstructed, down and/or has no satillite.

 

> [...] I need devices connected to the RAX40 on the 192.168.1.0/24

> network to be able to route to 192.168.100.1 via the uplink interface.

 

>   How did you configure the WAN/Internet interface on the RAX40?

 

Its DHCP so its just the defaults. All I've done on the entire RAX40 is SSID, password and the static route.

 

>   If the WAN/Internet interface on the RAX40 is configured properly,
> then devices on its LAN should use it as their default gateway, and you
> shouldn't need to worry about routes.

 

You're correct and the LAN is 192.168.1.1/24 so it ought to just work, yet it does not. Any ideas why?


>   If your (unspecified) "a starlink dish" includes a router (which,
> given that "192.168.100.1" address, seems likely), then you might want
> to configure the RAX40 as a wireless access point.

 

Unfortunately, the dish does not include a router. It had an external router, but it was slow and had no admin access.

 

Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

Re: RAX40 static route

> [...] so this is essentially my modem.

 

   Sounds more like a (modem+)router.  Has it a maker and model number?
Any documentation?  (I might search for some myself, if I knew what it
was.  Then again, which of us cares more?)

 

> Yes, 192.168.100.1 is the dish's IP.

 

   Ok.  And if you connect a computer to it directly, what's the IP
address of the computer?  Two computers/devices?

 

> I'm connecting it because I want internet access. [...]

 

   And you do _not_ get Internet access if you simply connect a computer
to it?  (Two computers/devices?)

 

> [...] I'm setting up the static route because I'd like to know when
> its obstructed, down and/or has no satillite.


   You lost me.  With no actual information on your satellite system, I
know nothing, but "192.168.100.1" is not a public IP address, so I'd bet
a small sum that your satellite stuff includes a router of some type,
someplace.

 

   And, in any case, whether the RAX40 is your only router or your
second router, you don't need to specify a route to enable its LAN side
to talk to its WAN/Internet side.

 

> Its DHCP so its just the defaults. [...]

 

   What're the details under ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port?

 

> [...] All I've done on the entire RAX40 is SSID, password [...]

 

   Ok.  Why not stop there?

 

> [...] and the static route.


   I can't see what you specified for that, and I see no reason to do
it, regardless.

 

> [...] so it ought to just work, yet it does not.

 

   Which kind of "not work" is this?

 

   "not work" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

 

> Unfortunately, the dish does not include a router. [...]

 

   So you claim, but I'd like some evidence.  See "I'd bet", above.

 

> [...] It had an external router, [...]

 

   Some actual information about that device might be interesting, too.

 

> [...] but it was slow and had no admin access.

 

   But it worked?  And when it did, what sort of IP addresses did your
computers/devices get when connected to it?

Message 6 of 8
laurichj
Aspirant

Re: RAX40 static route

I can see I'm not going to get anywhere here, you don't know how to help and you're just assuming I'm stupid. That's fine, it's usually a fair assumption. The answer seems to be me writing some automation code, not a big deal that's my job.

 

Since you're hanging out on a netgear forum, google starlink. You'll probably like it.

Message 7 of 8
antinode
Guru

Re: RAX40 static route

> [...] you don't know how to help [...]

 

   I can't see what you're doing, and you don't say why.

 

> [...] and you're just assuming I'm stupid. [...]

 

   That's a possibility, but it's a fact that you're uninformative.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 940 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E