× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 / AX4300 speed test run from INSIDE router shows 50% expected speed.

paneubert
Aspirant

Hello;

Just got gig speed upgrade today (from 50/50 before).  Immediately after fiber setup/upgrade on outside of my house, while the tech was still here, he had me run a speed test from within the Nighthawk app (so not over wifi, theoretically directly via the router to the fiber ONT it is hardwired to).  I hit about 400-500 instead of the 1K we expected  Repeated it, same speed range.  Tech was worried.....said he would go get his test router from the  work van to plug directly into the ONT to see if he got close to 1K speeds.  Before he did that, I had my wife run a speed test from her hardwired laptop that we have plugged into one of the 4 ethernet ports on the router.  She got 900+, which is much more in line with what is to be expected.  Tech said...."uhhhhhhh....I think it is a router issue". 

Why is the router apparently pushing 900+ out thru the 4 ethernet ports, but internally is only passing this 50% speed thru the wireless antennas?  When I stand about 5-10 feet from router in a direct line of sight and run a custom speed test from my phone (speed test from my service providers website), I pull about 400 down and 500 up on both their reccomended servers.  So this seems to be limited to the wireless (and the "internal" speed test of the router), not the wired ports. 

Since my wife is currently working, haven't done much in the way of turning off QoS or anything like that (dont want the router to restart and boot her off).  But I had messed around with a lot of those settings earlier today and none seemed to impact it.  In fact, I think this originally happened BEFORE I turned ON QoS later in the morning since it looked to be disabled by default. 

Tech was nice enough to call me randomly between other install jobs and tell me that he talked to some other installers, who said they have heard of this happening with NightHawk routers and that it is a firmware issue.  Problem is, I am on the latest firmware. 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX45 / AX4300 speed test run from INSIDE router shows 50% expected speed.

its not a firmware issue, its an issue of the integrated speedtest in the app.

Problem with it is that it chooses the closest server, not the fastest server. so we see frequently that people don't think they're getting the full speeds because the built in speedtest through netgear doesn't show it. Tends to happen a lot with people on gigabit because its a challenge to fully saturate. 

The best way is the hardwired test using the actual speedtest in the browser but even that sometimes chooses a poor server. so we usually recommend trying the speedtest site, dslreports, and even google/xfinity's speedtests just to give you a rough idea.  

Message 2 of 3
paneubert
Aspirant

Re: RAX45 / AX4300 speed test run from INSIDE router shows 50% expected speed.

Thanks.  I did notice as I was searching for "gig capable" speed test sites that even the Google Fiber one has a disclaimer that it starts to become inaccurate for speed tests at about ~700.  Which I think is funny since it is a Google Fiber specific speed test and most people on Google fiber probably are paying for gig speeds.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7