× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX45 — Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router - Parental Controls

akt111
Tutor

RAX45 — Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router - Parental Controls

Hi,

I purchased the RAX-45 router with an understanding that it will support some good parental controls, through the Nighthawk app as advertised under the below link. The link does not outline it very explicitly but the nighthawk app picture does show parental controls in the app. With such an expensive router and direction market is going, I expected this feature to be there.

https://www.costco.com/netgear-nighthawk-ax6-6-stream-ax4300-wifi-6-router.product.100523245.html

I reached out to the netgear support team asking if there is any other app or any other version that I need, in order to get the parental controls on this router but the response I received was, Circle Smart Parental Controls may support this in future but at this point there is nothing to support parental controls on this router and there is no ETA for support is there either. 

Do we know if there would actually be CIRCLE app support for this router and if so any ETA for this update?

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

The RAX devices have been getting services added to them the older they get. 

When they were released, the AX spec wasn't even finalized. So they focused on getting the devices up and running properly and then added services/features. 

For instance, the RAX200 (flagship router), just got the rollout of netgear armor and circle/parental controls on June 8th. 

I'd imagine these features are going to trickle down the chain but netgear doesn't release dates because to many things influence when they're released. Such as bugs, social issues (covid), and even firmware from the hardware makers (broadcom, qualcomm, etc)

Message 2 of 11
akt111
Tutor

Thank you for your response.

Looks like I'd keep my fingers crossed and wait at least this month, for the circle support firmware update in good faith :). 

Message 3 of 11
bc808
Initiate

August 1st.... anything for parental control?? If not, I'm returning it. I got this router to remedy control over my kids over using the internet. Parental controls should be standard, like before. Please advise how to get this function for such a pricey router.

Message 4 of 11
akt111
Tutor

Received a firmware upgarde today and was very hopeful but unfortunately even with the new firmware upgrade there is no support for parental controls in nighthawk app or circle.

Quite disappointed with the router because of not having the parental control feature. I am also noticing that range also is not so great. It's advertised for more than what it offers.

Message 5 of 11
wliu2
Guide

Same here. This is critical to me as I have kids surfing internet. Router level parental control is essential in this situation. Don't understand why it is so difficult to implement it, espcially for openDNS live parental control.

Message 6 of 11
sambared
Initiate

I am facing same issue. Please help me to get parental controls for Nighthawk RA~X45 ASAP. i can't even return my return is crossedSmiley Sad

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

The RAX200 got parental controls in june 2020,

I haven't seen the RAX120 get them yet. 

the RAX80 was back in may 2020 getting it. 

Message 8 of 11
TLHoff
Initiate

I was also very surprised and disappointed to learn the parental controls do not exist for this router, even the key word blocking feature does not seem to work for me, unless I am doing something wrong. Can't seem to get opendns to work either (would prefer to just control it through the router though like I could with my old CenturyLink modem and not open dns, but if I could get that to work it would at least be something)
Message 9 of 11
Jprsky
Initiate

NETGEAR - IT IS AN ABSOUTE SHAME TO SHIP ROUTER WITOUT PARENTAL CONTROL. IT IS LIKE SHIPPING A CAR WITHOUT AIR BAG! WHAT A SHAME.

Message 10 of 11
CharlesW96
Initiate

No Parental control, I will return it too.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7