× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 Slow Speeds

earthbound
Guide

RAX45 Slow Speeds

I just upgraded my comcast connection from 200mbps -> 400mbps. Since then, I am able to get 450+ mbps straight to my computer bypassing the router. When the router is connected (even with firmware updated, AND factory reset), I can only get around 70-80mbps to the computer via wifi. What gives? I was getting 170mbps yesterday before the Comcast upgrade. They see no issues on their side (and I don't either...).

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX45 Slow Speeds

Are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

2.4ghz is much slower and sensitive to interference

Message 2 of 12
earthbound
Guide

It's abysmyl on both. Just tested it and I"m getting 47 on the 5G. I can't have this...

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Since you upgraded you servcie, did you try a factory reset and reinstall?

Message 4 of 12
earthbound
Guide

Yes I factory reset it. I am also getting 450+ coming straight from the modem to my computer. Every work computer in the apartment is clocking <100 each time (varies quite significantly between runs)... I don't know what to do. Is this a firmware thing?

Message 5 of 12
earthbound
Guide

I relocated my router and it jumped up to 160ish for my devices. Is that a reasonable threshold? 

If I'm guaranteed 400 from my ISP shouldn't my router (which I believe can transmit that) match it?

Thanks for the help. 🙂

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

Usually the bottleneck with wifi speeds isn't the router but the device you're using. 

As well as distance/interference. 

160mbps isn't an unreasonable speed depending exactly what your setup it. 

A review of the RAX50 (halfway close in speed to the RAX45)

https://dongknows.com/netgear-rax50-nighthawk-ax6-wi-fi-6-router-review/

what device are you testing on?

What is your home made from (interior) and how big is it?

How close to the router are you? 

Message 7 of 12
earthbound
Guide

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty close with a hallway putting about 30-40 feet. My girlfriend is literally in the next room and gets the same speeds now. Looks like I'm back to 80mbps, too. This is exhausting trying to figure out what is wrong with this thing... 😞

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

what devices are you testing on? 

have you tried downgrading the firmware a version?

Message 9 of 12
earthbound
Guide

Downgrading worked. My speeds cranked up - Even more interesting - Simply tilting those little signal arms in the direction of the doorway dramatically increased speeds in my living room.

Couple observations here:

1. Why doesn't Netgear test their firmware updates? How often does this happen? Where is the transparency? I work in software - I am sure someone is aware of this happening. Here's an idea - If the firmware doesnt' work, don't release it. Or don't force it on your clients until you know it has been tested on the select few who opt to be the crash test dummies because they are technically-minded.

2. Why is it so hard to downgrade firmware? Surely they can make this mobile app friendly - As opposed to the web browser nightmare that I just experienced. My mom could not have done that if her life depends on it - What's she supposed to do? Just have **bleep**ty internet forever?

3. I had to literally reset my router from scratch. The Admin login stopped working, too. I had just used it on the routerlogin site. I didn't just forget it.

4. After setting up my router, it was about to FORCE ME to upgrade my firmware to the latest version again. Thankfully I could force quit my mobile app and the setup had already occurred. Back to mom - How on earth does she not get stuck in this endless loop?

None of this is intuitive at all. I really appreciate your help Plemans - Without it I would be super pissed and would have forced the return at Costco to be quite honest. 

Message 10 of 12
earthbound
Guide

Again, thanks Plemans. You saved the day.

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working even if it was a PITA. 

The problem with firmware is that for the vast majority it works fine. I test someone their firmwares are times and rarely have issues that others have. Not sure if its a everyones unique setup/settings or even if its hardware differences (parts sources from several sources).

So some issues are easy for netgear to fix while others cause issues. (google r7000 firmware issues if you want examples)

Again, glad its working!

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7