× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX45 Slow Wired and WiFi Speeds

matt131
Follower

RAX45 Slow Wired and WiFi Speeds

Hello,

I tried posting this question a few minutes ago, but it came out as all one long paragraph which is awful. Here is my attempt at a redo.

Hello, I recently bought the RAX45 Nighthawk router from Costco. Setup was easy and straightforward, even with my lack of experience with routers. Currently, I get 500/500 Mbps Up/Down from my ISP (FiOS). When the nighthawk app checks my internet speeds, it shows roughly 500/500. When I plug my computer into the ethernet cable straight from the ONT and run multiple speed tests, it averages close to 500/500. However, when I connect the ONT to my Nighthawk router and then connect my computer via ethernet cable to the router, I get about 200/400 Mbps Up/Down. When I connect my phone or computer via Wifi, I max out at about 210/180 Mbps Up/Down.

While I understand that Wifi speeds will always be slower than wired speeds, I find it to be an issue that the wired speeds through this router are so low. I am also concerned about the router since the ISP provided router had basically 500/500 wired speed and 350/200 Wifi speed. So to me, there seems to be something wrong with the Nighthawk router (I made the switch since the ISP provided router costs $10/month and has worse range).

• I am running firmware version: v1.0.2.20_2.0.31 I have QoS off.
  • I have split the bands and am connected to 5GHz on both my MacBook Pro and S10+. Smart Connect is OFF.
  • AX is enabled, but OFDMA is not enabled on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.
  • I am on an uncrowded channel, and have the 5 GHz mode set to "Up to 3840 Mbps" with Transmit Power Control set to 100%.
  • For 5 GHz, the Fragmentation Length is set to 2346 and the CTS/RTS Threshold is set to 2347.
  • Traffic Meter is Off
  • I tried downgrading the firmware to the previous version, but that had no effect. I have factory reset the router and set it up again, but there was no change.

Perhaps there is nothing wrong with this router, but I find it suspicious that even the wired ethernet connection through the router gives me much slower speeds than a direct connection to the ONT. I also am bummed that the wireless speed of this router is so much slower than the wireless speed of the cheapo router provided by Frontier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
JSCMaster
Initiate

I initially tried to change all the settings to what you recommended. Given that the settings are in multiple menus, all I actulaly changed were

"Enable OFDMA" for both 2.4 and 5GHz. I now have the max speed I had before.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 21

All Replies
FLDataTeK
Aspirant

Disable traffic meter in advanced, advanced setup.. I was limited to around 500-600Mbps on my gigabit internet, I turned off QOS and traffic meter and now I can max it out. 

Message 2 of 21
AlleninLA
Aspirant

I just picked up this router from Costco as well. I had just upgraded my bandwidth to 400+ with Spectrum. I've been having issues with consistent wifi speeds with their provided wifi router... so I tried an Eeros system and although the range and coverage was better, the wifi speed was consistent but far lower than desired... so I picked up this router and so far the Netgear appears to be the worst option. 

The wired connection to my desktop is testing at only about 230Mbps on the RA45... plugged directly to the modem, it was getting speeds of like 460Mbps. A wired connection to 1 of the Eero APs provided a similar speed. The Netgear Speedtest to test the Internet bandwidth shows 460Mpbs... so something is slowing it down.

Qos and traffic meter are both disabled. 

Message 3 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello matt131 & AlleninLA,

As you recently purchased the device, I would recommend contacting our support team to look into this further for you both. You may contact our support team by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 4 of 21
EdgarPoe
Tutor

I have the same problems with the Nighthawk RAX45. 

When i connect my laptop to the modem, I get 932/37. When i connect the router to the modem and then the laptop to the router i get a 276/16.

Why is the router slowing my wired connection? Looks like other pplhave the same problem. I have traffic meter off too.

Message 5 of 21
DKG-Atl
Tutor

I too am having this problem with the Nighthawk RAX45 I recently purchased. 

When I connect my desktop computer directly to my Xfinity Xb7 Gateway and run it in combined mode, I get a consistant 720/24 on a 600 Mbps plan.  If i put the Xb7 in bridge mode and connect the RAX45 router,  and run a speed test from any computer on the network I get 280/24.

If I run a speed test through the Nighthawk app, which says it tests between the router and the internet, I get anywhere between 375 and 600 Mbps.  

I do not have traffic metering or QoS on, have tried using different cat 5e and 6 cables, and I have the most recent firmware for both the the Xb7 and the RAX45.

So the router seems to be cutting speed at the LAN by half.  Obviously this is a common issue judging by this and other threads.   I've read different potential workarounds such as putting the router in AP mode but I dont want to have to do that. 

So what is going on here?

Message 6 of 21
EdgarPoe
Tutor

I was with customer support for 2 hours yesterday and no solution. I will most likely return this product which is a pity because I had high hopes.
Ontop of that the WiFi is so slow. My iPhone 11 gets a 30-70 mb download and 16 upload. Funny thing is that when I use the Netgear app it tells me I’m getting 400 plus . But when I use other testing sites and apps I get the 30-70 average. So safe to say I don’t trust the app now.
I will return this router once I find another that works. I’ll try Asus and Tplink and see.
Anyone recommend any other routers?
Message 7 of 21
DKG-Atl
Tutor

I wanted to follow up on my post#6 regarding my RAX45's slow speed.

Spent around 2 hours with tech support today and after trying a dozen or so things it ended up being a problem with the latest firmware installation.  The tech support agent had me download and reinstall the latest firmware and after that and restarting the router I am getting  full speed out of it.

So reinstalling the most recent firmware solved my speed issue.  Even if your RAX45 has the latest firmware and says that no updates are necessary, download the latest firmware update from the Netgear site and reinstall it.  The router will warn you that you are about to reinstall the same firmware version as you already have, but ignore that and do it anyway.

Hope this helps...

Message 8 of 21
Chris300
Aspirant

I was seeing the same issues decscribed in the thread, but nothing worked. 

Recently upgraded ISP speed to 600 down & was seeing hard wired & wireless cap out around 250.  Contacted ISP to ensure my account was properly configured which it was.  Ruled out the Modem & wiring by going directly into the modem & seeing speeds of 700down.  Back to the router I'm back to 250.  QOS & Traffic Meter are all off.  I manually updated the existing firmware of V1.0.2.64_2.0.41 to the same.  No success.  Tried to contact support, but my 90-day complimentary support ended and so on.

Anyone have any suggestions in addition to what was mentioned above?  I'm trying to avoid returning the modem to Costco.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Message 9 of 21
me20201
Tutor

My 2.4 GHZ also is randomly going down with QoSoff and traffic meter off.

This little gem goes back to Costco tomorrow!

Message 10 of 21
Dusterbuster
Initiate

I also purchased the RAX45 from Costco, and am experiencing horrible WiFi performance. I purchased this router to have a dedicated 5ghz channel for my Oculus Quest 2 using virtual desktop, but the performance is atrocious. Running test speeds on the router itself, I get the full 500 mbps up and down. But connecting to the router with just a single device on my network, and running speed tests from my phone, I get about 90 mbps max up and down, even in the same room. Compare this to my Orbi mesh router, where I can easily get about 425mbps down and 225mbps up, even with about 15-20 other WiFi devices connected to the mesh network.

Something seems wrong with the RAX45 to have such bad WiFi performance. I’ve updated the firmware, and have tested using the RAX45 as a standalone router (after disconnecting the Orbi) and as a wireless AP (connected to the Orbi), but experience the same really bad throughput. The nighthawk is going straight back to Costco. Really terrible product, firmware, or a combination of the two.
Message 11 of 21
splaquet
Aspirant

I also had a nightmare of a time with the RAX45 at first. I kept wanting to blame myself for screwing something up, while my wife was straight up blaming me. How could such a trusted industry name be the problem?

Well fortunately, I stumbled upon a Reddit article that gave me the fix. I tried to find it again, but couldn’t.

To summarize, it is the router. The latest firmware does nothing to fix. There’s something odd happening that doesn’t allow the settings to actually apply.

Here’s the settings I’m using that’s providing the speeds I’d expect. (See screenshots)

Everything that you see unchecked will stay disabled. The WiFi settings that are currently enabled will need to first be disabled, the router reset, and then enabled/applied after the reset.

...ugh. Only one attachment per post, and jpeg file type not allowed 😆

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0D-pyziHGqjr61fBxvDZWUrTQ
Message 12 of 21
HUffie86
Aspirant

For what it is worth, after 2 days when i noticed my speeds have dropped dramatically, and checking things, i turned ofdma, on, i'm guessing the router decided to turn it off at some point, i noticed my speeds going mostly back up, still not getting the 800's i saw before but back into the 600's.

Message 13 of 21
Ghgalarza
Guide

I followed the instructions to your post and BUM ITS WORKING NOW PEFECTLY, thank you very much brother.

@splaquet wrote:
I also had a nightmare of a time with the RAX45 at first. I kept wanting to blame myself for screwing something up, while my wife was straight up blaming me. How could such a trusted industry name be the problem?

Well fortunately, I stumbled upon a Reddit article that gave me the fix. I tried to find it again, but couldn’t.

To summarize, it is the router. The latest firmware does nothing to fix. There’s something odd happening that doesn’t allow the settings to actually apply.

Here’s the settings I’m using that’s providing the speeds I’d expect. (See screenshots)

Everything that you see unchecked will stay disabled. The WiFi settings that are currently enabled will need to first be disabled, the router reset, and then enabled/applied after the reset.

...ugh. Only one attachment per post, and jpeg file type not allowed 😆

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0D-pyziHGqjr61fBxvDZWUrTQ

Message 14 of 21
lmulcahe
Aspirant

Do you happen to have a link to an imgur pic? I tried your link, but it says the photo is unavailable. I'm desperate to boost my speeds. 

Message 15 of 21
EdgarPoe
Tutor

I tried the settings from his screenshots and they worked like he said! I am grateful for his help. I would like to share them with you since i saved them. Hope it works for you as it did for me. Cheers

IMG_8744.JPGIMG_8745.JPGIMG_8746.JPGIMG_8747.JPG

Message 16 of 21
EdgarPoe
Tutor

I'll try one photo at a tme since it didnt let me do them all at once. 

IMG_8744.JPG

Message 17 of 21
lmulcahe
Aspirant

Thank you kind soul! I did try your settings, and I'm not seeing any difference in speeds unfortunately. Seems to be a little worst to be honest. I think I'm going to return this router, I just can't get it work properly. Is Netgear known for having issues with their routers? I switched from an Orbi to this one and I had problems with the Orbi as well. 

Message 18 of 21
Jazjnky
Initiate

This fix is GREAT!  I have spent a lot of hours and justthis morning was on with support who, after an hour, determined everything was working fine and placed me on hold...I was still getting 60mb download when 480 was coming in to the router from the modem. While on hole she hung up. She was useless anyway! I nput all of the changes from this solution an I am back in business at 430 down and 23 up. Thanks

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 19 of 21
JSCMaster
Initiate

I initially tried to change all the settings to what you recommended. Given that the settings are in multiple menus, all I actulaly changed were

"Enable OFDMA" for both 2.4 and 5GHz. I now have the max speed I had before.

Message 20 of 21
lamed
Initiate

Thank you after a couple hours research I got to you who went clearly to the point. I have an Atlantic modem which have been internet connection 300-21 and Netgear only went up tp 150-20 with your configuration they both match in performance, congratulations

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7