× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 Slow Wired and Wireless Speeds

matt131
Follower

RAX45 Slow Wired and Wireless Speeds

Hello, I recently bought the RAX45 Nighthawk router from Costco. Setup was easy and straightforward, even with my lack of experience with routers. Currently, I get 500/500 Mbps Up/Down from my ISP (FiOS). When the nighthawk app checks my internet speeds, it shows roughly 500/500. When I plug my computer into the ethernet cable straight from the ONT and run multiple speed tests, it averages close to 500/500. However, when I connect the ONT to my Nighthawk router and then connect my computer via ethernet cable to the router, I get about 200/400 Mbps Up/Down. When I connect my phone or computer via Wifi, I max out at about 210/180 Mbps Up/Down. While I understand that Wifi speeds will always be slower than wired speeds, I find it to be an issue that the wired speeds through this router are so low. I am also concerned about the router since the ISP provided router had basically 500/500 wired speed and 350/200 Wifi speed. So to me, there seems to be something wrong with the Nighthawk router (I made the switch since the ISP provided router costs $10/month and has worse range). I am running firmware version: v1.0.2.20_2.0.31 I have QoS off. I have split the bands and am connected to 5GHz on both my MacBook Pro and S10+. Smart Connect is NOT on. AX is enabled, but OFDMA is not enabled on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. I am on a non-crowded channel, and have the 5 GHz mode set to "Up to 3840 Mbps" with Transmit Power Control set to 100%. For 5 GHz, the Fragmentation Length is set to 2346 and the CTS/RTS Threshold is set to 2347. Traffic Meter is Off I tried downgrading the firmware to the previous version, but that had no effect. I have factory reset the router and set it up again, but there was no change. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with this router, but I find it suspicious that even the wired ethernet connection through the router gives me much slower speeds than a direct connection to the ONT. I also am bummed that the wireless speed of this router is so much slower than the wireless speed of the cheapo router provided by Frontier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
FLDataTeK
Aspirant

Re: RAX45 Slow Wired and Wireless Speeds

Disable QOS and Traffic meter. Traffic meter was limiting me to 500-600Mbps on my Xfinity Gigabit internet. As soon as I turned it off I was hitting 900+Mbps 

Message 2 of 3
dkharbanda
Aspirant

Re: RAX45 Slow Wired and Wireless Speeds

I have AT&T 1 Gbps fios and when RX45 is in router mode my max download speed is ~225 Mbps When RX45 is in AP mode my max download speed is 500 Mbps

Traffic Meter and QoS are turned off.

Any advice on how to improve speed in router mode?

@matt131 wrote:
Hello, I recently bought the RAX45 Nighthawk router from Costco. Setup was easy and straightforward, even with my lack of experience with routers. Currently, I get 500/500 Mbps Up/Down from my ISP (FiOS). When the nighthawk app checks my internet speeds, it shows roughly 500/500. When I plug my computer into the ethernet cable straight from the ONT and run multiple speed tests, it averages close to 500/500. However, when I connect the ONT to my Nighthawk router and then connect my computer via ethernet cable to the router, I get about 200/400 Mbps Up/Down. When I connect my phone or computer via Wifi, I max out at about 210/180 Mbps Up/Down. While I understand that Wifi speeds will always be slower than wired speeds, I find it to be an issue that the wired speeds through this router are so low. I am also concerned about the router since the ISP provided router had basically 500/500 wired speed and 350/200 Wifi speed. So to me, there seems to be something wrong with the Nighthawk router (I made the switch since the ISP provided router costs $10/month and has worse range). I am running firmware version: v1.0.2.20_2.0.31 I have QoS off. I have split the bands and am connected to 5GHz on both my MacBook Pro and S10+. Smart Connect is NOT on. AX is enabled, but OFDMA is not enabled on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. I am on a non-crowded channel, and have the 5 GHz mode set to "Up to 3840 Mbps" with Transmit Power Control set to 100%. For 5 GHz, the Fragmentation Length is set to 2346 and the CTS/RTS Threshold is set to 2347. Traffic Meter is Off I tried downgrading the firmware to the previous version, but that had no effect. I have factory reset the router and set it up again, but there was no change. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with this router, but I find it suspicious that even the wired ethernet connection through the router gives me much slower speeds than a direct connection to the ONT. I also am bummed that the wireless speed of this router is so much slower than the wireless speed of the cheapo router provided by Frontier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7