× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 Two Laptops have IP, can’t get on Internet

beelymagee
Aspirant

RAX45 Two Laptops have IP, can’t get on Internet

I have two older laptops running different Linux distros and these are recognized and allowed by Nighthawk RAX45 app. IP address, looks like appropriate radio band (2.4 for older WiFi cards) is being used.

I try to ping Google and the IP address for the RAX45 is shown as the IP address and no pings are passed through. I try to ping the local router and other devices in the home network - same results. I can't browse Internet on either laptops (a first gen Google Chromebook running Ubuntu and an Asus eeePC running another distro). All other PCs and laptops and tablets etc are on network, OK with WiFi. These two older laptops sat for a while unused.

I am browsing and typing this on the eeePC via my iPhone's hotspot without a hitch - so there's something happening with the RAX45 that is no longer allowing these two older laptops to get on the Internet.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX45 Two Laptops have IP, can’t get on Internet

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk MESH products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH MESH products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system

Helpful to know Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

Check Ethernet connections as well. 

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear
Thank you.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX45 Two Laptops have IP, can’t get on Internet

Be sure the PCs wifi adapter card drivers are up to date. 

What security mode do you have set for the wifi radio on the RAX router? WPA2 and AES? Try WPA and TPIK to see if there is any changes in behavior. Re-enable WPA2 and AES after testing. 

@beelymagee wrote:

I have two older laptops running different Linux distros and these are recognized and allowed by Nighthawk RAX45 app. IP address, looks like appropriate radio band (2.4 for older WiFi cards) is being used.

I try to ping Google and the IP address for the RAX45 is shown as the IP address and no pings are passed through. I try to ping the local router and other devices in the home network - same results. I can't browse Internet on either laptops (a first gen Google Chromebook running Ubuntu and an Asus eeePC running another distro). All other PCs and laptops and tablets etc are on network, OK with WiFi. These two older laptops sat for a while unused.

I am browsing and typing this on the eeePC via my iPhone's hotspot without a hitch - so there's something happening with the RAX45 that is no longer allowing these two older laptops to get on the Internet.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7