× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX45 desktop unable to connect

KC54
Tutor

RAX45 desktop unable to connect

I have a new Nighthawk AX6 with Spectrum as my ISP. Everything has connected successfully except my Toshiba all in one desktop computer (LX800). My Toshiba will not locate my new Netgear router.I’ve tried everything I know including troubleshooting with Netgear, Toshiba and Spectrum (waiting for callback). Any ideas? I am not the best with these issues but I’m trying and learning and frustrated! Thanks!
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

From researching, that adapter was pretty horrible when it was released. Realtek doesn't even list it on their site as supported. 

I know several companies cards had issues with AX when it was first released but driver updates fixed most of those. I don't see any new drivers for that card at all. 

Might be worth upgrading the wireless card or putting a usb wireless adapter in the all in one. 

its a half height mini pcie card so there's plenty of options if you want to swap it for a decent networking card. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what wireless card is in the toshiba? 

That's kind of key. 

They might have you turn off AX (defeats the purpose of this router). 

What error does it give you?

Is it able to see 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

Message 2 of 8
KC54
Tutor

Thanks for your response.  I do not know what kind of wireless card it has.  Where can that be found?  My desktop is 7 years old/windows 10.  My old router was a Sagecom Fast 5260 Andy I was having “unstable internet connection during Zoom meetings.  The Netgear Nighthawk was supposed to take care of that issue with stronger signals.  With the old router my desktop had 2.4 and 5.0.  After installing the Nighthawk everything worked (ipads, iphones, Ring doorbell and security light, and HP wireless printer) but not my Toshiba desktop.  It doesn’t give an error code message - it’s just unable to locate the new NETGEAR25 address under WiFi search.  I see all the neighbors but not mine - weird.  Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

go to the device manager in windows 10. it should show your wireless network card. That'll tell us a lot. 

Message 4 of 8
KC54
Tutor

Thanks for your reply Plemans!  This is the information I found under Adaptors:

Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS 6.30

RealTek RTL 8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11 n PCI-E NIC 

My system is 7 years old.  What’s odd is that I am locating many other neighbors Networks including several NETGEAR networks but it can’t locate mine!  I am led to understand that this Netgear Nighthawk is one of the latest models of routers and maybe my system is to old to recognize it.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

From researching, that adapter was pretty horrible when it was released. Realtek doesn't even list it on their site as supported. 

I know several companies cards had issues with AX when it was first released but driver updates fixed most of those. I don't see any new drivers for that card at all. 

Might be worth upgrading the wireless card or putting a usb wireless adapter in the all in one. 

its a half height mini pcie card so there's plenty of options if you want to swap it for a decent networking card. 

Message 6 of 8
KC54
Tutor

A shoutout to Pleamans for his assistance in resolving my problem!  After 20 plus hours on the phone to my computer manufacturer, my ISP provider and Netgear - the resolution was to purchase a $40 USB wireless internet plug in suggested by pleamans on this NETGEAR community support blog.  After I loaded the USB plug in my 7 year old computer was easily able to find my new NETGEAR router with a very strong signal.  Now I have no issues!  Instead of buying a new desktop or laptop for my study I (pleamans) a simple $40 adaptor was all i needed!  Pleamans whoever you are thank you sincerely!

Kelly Thomas Casey

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos