× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 on Fiber network, extend to outbuilding.

1Fireguy
Aspirant

RAX45 on Fiber network, extend to outbuilding.

I have a fiber optic network to three buildings at my property; a cottage, our house, and a shop/studio barn. Our new Netgear WiFi is not getting into the metal skin barn, but is intermittently accessible outside, 160’ from the router. Can I buy another device to plug into the fiber optic intra-network ISP feed inside the barn, and supplement our existing WiFi ‘channel’ from inside the barn? If so, which product will work with the RAX45?
I’d like to keep using one ‘network’ and not have to jump back and forth. Most of the family is barely tech-literate and I need to make it seamless if possible.

Thank you for your expertise and help.
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX45 on Fiber network, extend to outbuilding.

1Fireguy, 

You may want to check out the EAX80 WiFi 6 extender. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EAX80.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
1Fireguy
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply Christian,

I looked up the EAX80, and I cannot how it obtains the signal that it turns to WiFi, is it hardwired into the wall port, and meshes the SSID with the main router, or is it simply magnifying the original router’s signal?
Message 3 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 1Fireguy, 

The EAX80 would be an extender essentially extending your router's signal. But because the RAX45 supports WiFi 6 standards, the EAX80 is a great pair to your RAX45 as the EAX80 also supports WiFi 6. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7