× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX45 unable to login or activate password recovery

Gazzerk
Tutor

RAX45 unable to login or activate password recovery

I have not had to login in to my router for a few months. Received a security email for firmware update. I am on a Mac so all my passwords are stored in Keychain Access. Always confirm them before logging in. I typed in my password but could not log in. Tried several times. I then hit "cancel" to activate password recovery with my security questions but I get the 401 error each time. I then tried logging onto my Nighthawk app which prompted me for my login credentials using Touch ID as usual. I could not get in.

Out of frustration I typed in the word "password" for the password and I was in. The problem is that it created two new default networks that were they names I remember from setup, NETGEAR and NETGEAR-5G. How do I get back to where I was before this when I had no issues with the network connectivity? And why would I not be able to perform the password recovery? Was I locked out after my attempts to retype the password?

I am puzzled--have had netgear for many years and never experienced this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you change the ssid to the same ssid you had prior, then you shouldn't need to. 

but if you change it to something else then you will need to 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Sounds like it got set back to defaults for some reason. did the router auto-update? 

You can always factory reset and do a clean install if you'd like. 

Message 2 of 8
Gazzerk
Tutor

Thanks plemans. I have no idea what happened but it does appear that it wants to take me through the setup again. I have not yet done that because I was not sure I was getting deeper in trouble. The two new networks I mentioned are unsecure and so in a panic. When you mean clean install you mean just go through the prompts with a new setup, right?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

correct. 

Message 4 of 8
Gazzerk
Tutor

Thanks again plemans! That was a royal pain in the neck. Since my "modem" was required to be turned off and I have no modem I had to go out to the ONT box outside to start the procedure. I skipped it first time and was able to log onto new network briefly then was kicked off so I started over. When Nighthawk app checked for firmware update it stated that there were none. I can only conclude that Netgear made the update and caused this dilemma. Is that possible? When I got the network up and running I notice Nighthawk had already setup a new SSID default name but still have my old network (SSID name) showing up in the wifi dropdown in Apple's finder menu. I have updated all devices relating to the network. Any clue how I can eliminate the old name--it does not help by removing from network preferences. I can still log onto it and use it but I do not see it appearing in my Netgear router dashboard. Once I do this I'd like to change the default SSID name because every neighbor has a similar NETGEAR... SSIDs. Any help in getting me back to normal would be greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Did you change the ssid on all the bands for the RAX?

And you're able to connect to it and use it? 

Any extenders or access points setup?

Message 6 of 8
Gazzerk
Tutor

Thanks again Plemans for sticking with me on this. The last question jogged my memory. I have a EAX20 in the bedroom. I had unplugged it during this so took this out of the equation but realized I did not try the reset. Resetting and using Nighthawk app to reconnect took off the old network!

I am noticing however that all my neighbors have NETGEAR## SSIDs showing up. Not a problem just not easy to discern my network over the others--I did have a unique network name before. I know I can change the SSID name in the router dashboard but cannot remember if I have to reconnect all my household and personal devices again? And then go through the same process of ridding the routers of the old SSID.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you change the ssid to the same ssid you had prior, then you shouldn't need to. 

but if you change it to something else then you will need to 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7