× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX48 dropping connections, then reassigns new IP

Mjdoyle
Tutor

RAX48 dropping connections, then reassigns new IP

I have a brand new RAX48 from Bestbuy, the router is dropping connections, ALL THE TIME, then reassigns new IP, so mappings no longer work... Im about to send it back... Junk so far.

Its running the current firmware. 

Mike

Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX48 dropping connections, then reassigns new IP

What actual version number is on it?

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

since setup/firmware updates has a factory reset and clean install ever been done? (should have auto-updated after install)

The RAX line came out before the AX spec was even finalized. They've responded favorably to factoy resets and clean installs after firmware changes. 

Message 2 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

Firmware rev. is V1.0.2.72_2.0.45, the unit did complete a firmware when installed, about two weeks ago.

The modem is from Spectrum Communications, model E31T2V1.

Are you suggesting I do a factory reset and reconfigure back to my settings?

Thanks,

Mike

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

I am. The RAX got significant firmware changes since release. Its a reasonable first step. 

Message 4 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

Okay, I'll try that at 6pm ET tonight after my meetings, I will post when completed and if the issues is mitigated.

Many thanks,

Mike

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

If it doesn't work, I'd get in contact with support (if still in your 90 days free window). Thats the only firmware version showing available but maybe there's a beta version or could be a hardware issue. 

Message 6 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

My meeting was cancelled, I just reset to factory and established my local settings.

I appreciate your support, if this does not work, I want to take the product back, Im not interested in beta testing over the counter products that should be fully vetted and tested. 

Thanks,

Mike

Message 7 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

It worst, I just reconnected laptops, iPhone, iPad, Alexa devices, even the Nighthawk app will not connect!

I'm willing to try one more, after that its going back. 

Mike

Message 8 of 16
plemans
Guru

Try re-installing the firmware to it. A factory reset only removes settings. If something was corrupt from the start, reinstalling the fimrware is needed to overwrite it. 

Message 9 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

I will try to reintsall the firmware if that does not resolve, I'm done, its going back.

Mike

Message 10 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

I did a harware reset, downloaded and reinstalled the firmware, did another hardware reset.

Config to my network, retablished 18 smart devices from Alexa to Sensi thermostats, all devices stayed connected last night, so far so good!

Any other recommendations? 

And thank you, I pulled out the receipt and box last night I was done with the RAX48, it has been nothing but issues.

Regards,

Mike

Message 11 of 16
plemans
Guru

@Mjdoyle wrote:

I did a harware reset, downloaded and reinstalled the firmware, did another hardware reset.

Config to my network, retablished 18 smart devices from Alexa to Sensi thermostats, all devices stayed connected last night, so far so good!----Glad to hear it!

Any other recommendations? ----Not really. Its a pretty solid router but it sound like you must have had a corrupt firmware installed or maybe something happened during shipping. its why a reinstall of firmware is worth a shot. 

And thank you, I pulled out the receipt and box last night I was done with the RAX48, it has been nothing but issues.----Again, glad you have it up and working well! Stay safe!

Regards,

Mike

Message 12 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

Thanks again, appreciate all of your support.

I did discover a bug this morning in the Nighthawk iPhone app, as I added my devices lasynight, I applied a logical name and appropriate icon, this morning the logical name stayed, however the icon has changed to network on almost all connected devices. 

Regards,

Mike

Message 13 of 16
plemans
Guru

The connected devices page on the app and gui has been an on/off issue for multiple routers. it wouldn't surprise me (just disappoint me). 

Message 14 of 16
Mjdoyle
Tutor

Im in the software business, I get it, just don't like it.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 15 of 16
Velo24
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues
Did you get to solve it?
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo