× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX50 AX 5400 fails on 5G

khalilkhalil
Guide

RAX50 AX 5400 fails on 5G

This RAX50 has been a nightmare on the 5Gig as it constantly drops. I had it set to smart which selected 2.4 or 5 GHz depends on the device but that was no good either. But now I notice that the 2,4 Gig is always up without issue. only -5G constantly drops and is unusable. All devices drop not just one. FW: V1.0.11.112-2.0.77. I rebooted it a dozen times, did the factory reset, and reloaded the FW but no change. Killed AX and other coexistence 20/40 but no change. Macbook networkQuality fails, and speedtest keeps saying no internet.  I mean when on 5G it fails to connect to 192.168.1.1 most of the time and if it does for a minute it fails after 5 mins. 

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Did you try downgrading the firmware? (a version or 2 )

Message 2 of 11
khalilkhalil
Guide

Can you share the location I can get older FW for this router? The downloads location only has the one from June 2022 which I am using, as well as release notes for older FW but not the FW itself.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Nighthawk RAX50 | WiFi 6 Router | NETGEAR Support

click on downloads. 

then click on +view previous versions

I just checked and it opened fine for me. There's a download button. 

If its not showing, try a different browser. 

Message 4 of 11
khalilkhalil
Guide

Indeed it was there.. I went to 1.0.10.110 and no improvement. Only 5Gig is bad. Connects for a few minutes then dies then connects real slow then dies. The 2Gig is solid. I tried disabling AX and changed the DNS to google's but no change. 

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Are you still within your warranty period? 

Message 6 of 11
khalilkhalil
Guide

bought Mar 26 2022 for $230+ from Amazon. It is over 3 months but this thing has not worked right. 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

If it was new, you should still have a 1 year warranty on it. the 90 days is for support. 

Only issue with that is that for the 90 day to -1 year mark, they charge for support. If it turns out to be a hardware failure, they can (should) refund you for the support. (bogus setup if you ask me) 

Message 8 of 11
khalilkhalil
Guide

Amazon is taking it back.. and will shove it down the throats of the moronic netgear goons and their miserable support tactics. Sad. I gave it the review it deserves on amazon. 

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

@khalilkhalil wrote:

Amazon is taking it back.. and will shove it down the throats of the moronic netgear goons and their miserable support tactics. Sad. I gave it the review it deserves on amazon. 

You realize we're just members of the public trying to help out for free on our own time? We're not paid and we're not netgear. I don't mind if you want to bad mouth netgear all you want and I understand your frustration but bad mouthing the people just trying to help you is a bit A**hole move. 

Message 10 of 11
khalilkhalil
Guide

One second here.. this was never meant or directed at the community I feel I am part of, nor at netgear, but their "support tactics". That aside, if it came out differently I do apologize. I have been using netgear routers and other gear for about 25 years. I still have most which have worked for years and only replaced for upgrades. This last one was a fail. And we they told me my HW warranty requires support subscription I was super disappointed. I just found one of my originals: WNR1000 Wireless N 150. I had spared my last reliable router to my son in school. Again, I appreciate what this community does here. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7