× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX50 AX5400 question 2

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RAX50 AX5400 question 2

Why would one iPhone be on 2.4ghz and the other on 5ghz? They are exactly the same except for color. I do not have smart connect enabled and cannot seem to enable it. But that has to do with only 5ghz anyway right?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX50 AX5400 question 2

I'd be more likely to trust the browser than the app. But I can't say which it is without actually being there and doing a scan. 

Just asking which is right is basically a 50/50 option based on the info you've given. 

You can always disable it through the browser and see what happens to the wireless signals. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25346/What-is-Smart-Connect-and-how-do-I-enable-or-disable-it-on-my-Nighthawk...

I'm a fan of using smart connect but you dont' have to. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you don't have smart connect enabled, then its the user that selects which band to connect to. 

If you set the bands with the same name (and smart connect disabled) then the phone can't tell which its connecting to. 

Options? 

1. enable smart connect and let the router bandsteer devices. 

2. name the ssids something seperate so you can tell the 2.4ghz from the 5ghz. 

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When I login through the app, it says smart connect is not enabled. When I log in through my browser it says it is. Which is correct?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I'd be more likely to trust the browser than the app. But I can't say which it is without actually being there and doing a scan. 

Just asking which is right is basically a 50/50 option based on the info you've given. 

You can always disable it through the browser and see what happens to the wireless signals. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25346/What-is-Smart-Connect-and-how-do-I-enable-or-disable-it-on-my-Nighthawk...

I'm a fan of using smart connect but you dont' have to. 

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well, the app still vascillates back and forth, but I am also a fan of direct login. I disconnected and reconnected my phone and it's now on 5ghz. Thanks for your answers.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7