× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX50 Internet LED is red

Richandi
Aspirant

RAX50 Internet LED is red

I have a Nighthawk router, AX5400 6-Stream ("RAX50").  The Internet LED light is red, even though I have internet service.  (We are connected through a cable modem provided by the ISP.)  Could someone tell me why it's red, and is that a problem?  Again, it is red even though we are getting internet service.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 22
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Richandi, 

May you factory reset the router and run through the setup assistant again.

Christian 

Message 2 of 22
Richandi
Aspirant

Thanks, Christian.  I may try that -- although, because I have internet service (even though the LED is red), I don't want to do anything that will mess it up!  

Message 3 of 22
CallPaul
Apprentice

I have a RAX50 with the same exact thing. Internet LED is red and I have internet access.

i just rebooted it and it's been fine. 

Message 4 of 22
ddd345
Guide

This is actually for the RAX50 which is not in the drop down list.  Same issue as others in this thread.  Firmware upgraded (Firmware Version V1.0.2.66_2.0.42) and router rebooted numerous times.  LED for internet shows red but otherwise everything is working as expected.  Brand new router was installed yesterday.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 22
sjunet
Aspirant

Same thing here, brand new router install, have a red light, internet is working fine.

Message 6 of 22
ddd345
Guide

Was solid red. 24 hours later now solid white.

Message 7 of 22
CallPaul
Apprentice

Ive had this happen twice with my RAX50. Both times after a power outage and the modem and router both lost power for a second.

The router had a red intenet light on but had full internet access. I just rebooted the router and the internet light went back to white and everything is good.

Message 8 of 22
ddd345
Guide

Yes the red light does not appear to be service affecting.  It came on after a reboot and after waiting a day it went out.  The netgear PDF User guide does not reference any red light status for the internet light.

Solid white. The Internet connection is ready.
Blinkingwhite.Theportissendingorreceivingtraffic.
Off.NoEthernetcableisconnectedbetweentherouterandthemodem.

Seems like Netgear needs both a firmware update and an update to the PDF.

Message 9 of 22
knelson454
Aspirant

Having the same issues. Red but internet is working but once the light just went out and no internet but rebooted router and it came back on. Funky new router.
Message 10 of 22
TheeDJ
Aspirant

Same problemas everyone else. It would be nice to see an official response from somebody at Netgear here.

@Richandi wrote:

I have a Nighthawk router, AX5400 6-Stream ("RAX50").  The Internet LED light is red, even though I have internet service.  (We are connected through a cable modem provided by the ISP.)  Could someone tell me why it's red, and is that a problem?  Again, it is red even though we are getting internet service.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 22
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TheeDJ,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 12 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R for years the standard on all NGR routers: 

The red (or amber) Internet LED does indicate there is an Ethernet link on the Internet/WAN port, however the Internet connection was not established, or the Internet connection check does fail under some strange conditions despite of the Internet is up and running nicely*.

*Wally brain forgot the detail - some special condition (failed ntp date/time? sometimes where PPPoE with authentication is required in combination with a wrong sequence?) can cause this condition.

Message 13 of 22
CanadaCondor
Initiate

I have had same problem, about 3 times in last month. Light goes red, but interernet seems to be working fine. Reboot corrects the issue, but I wish it would stop happening...

Message 14 of 22
TheeDJ
Aspirant

I replaced the cable modem provided by Optimum ($10month)with a new Netgear modem ($60amazon)
No red light, improved overall connection and reliability, and it will pay for itself in 6 months.
Message 15 of 22
oakholt
Aspirant

My model is not as above and is RAX50, but no such model appears on the model options to select.

I have the same problem. The Internet light goes red after the modem and Nighthawk have both been on for a day or more, In my case it is connected to a VirginMedia V3 'super' hub configured in modem only mode. Once it has gone red, streaming services on the VirginMedia TIVO V6 set top box start to fail. I appear to have full Internet access with all other connected devices (over 30 smart home devices) and download speeds are over 200Mbps. I don't think the VirginMedia setup likes the hub to be used in a modem only configuration. The other clue is that once the Internet LED on the RAX50 has turned red, I can then not access the hub 3's web page, which is the default 192.168.0.1. For reference my RAX50 is on 192.168.1.1 and I can always access that. I believe the issue is related to DNS as I use Google's DNS servers configured in the RAX50 and not Virgin Media's DNS servers.

Message 16 of 22
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I do see it’s not letting me enable anywhere access in the nighthawk app which was working prior to the reset.
Message 17 of 22
abustraan
Initiate

Although the category is RAX40 my router is RAX50. Couldn't choose that from the list.

Within the Advanced\LED Settings, I changed the setting from Enable Blinking to Tune off all LED's and then back and that cleared my red internet LED and reset it to white.

Message 18 of 22
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I’ll give that a try. If that’s the workaround seems to point to some kind of bug in the firmware. I was running 1.0.3.96 but downgraded as the led issues seemed to be one of just several in that release. I’ve since downgrade the firmware to 1.0.2.94 where the issue wasn’t present.
Message 19 of 22
HermanB
Tutor

Although the category is RAX40 my router is RAX50.

Same issue over here. Newly router suddenly showing red light. Internet is working.

Issued a case at the Netgear support site...curious what the answer will be.

Message 20 of 22
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

Turns out once I updated to 1.0.5.106 the issue appears to be resolved. Been going back and forth with Netgear on this one for almost 3 months. What firmware are you on currently?

Message 21 of 22
HermanB
Tutor

I'm on 1.0.5.106_2.0.70 ... as you say...back and forth.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7