× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX50 Security Access Control Firmware Appears Unstable

WALLY2
Follower

RAX50 Security Access Control Firmware Appears Unstable

11/8/2020

RAX50, Firmware V1.0.2.72_2.0.45,  GUI V1.0.2.72_1.46.1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased this NetGear Router to maintain an Access Control List for Securing my Network.

Recent firmware additions seem to greatly increase delays in returning reports of Devices Connected and in showing the Current Connected, Not Connected, and Blocked IP addresses.  The Connected / Not Connected List does not always appear to be accurate.   But my real concern is LISTED BELOW........

I have noticed from first usage of this Router that the Device names and other specific device information appears to be unstable in reports, after performing additions - deletions - or edits to these network devices.  The instability presents itself with random characters appearing as added text in a previously setup Device Description, or in some cases renaming the Device to a totally different name (frequently referencing Apple as a part of the name).  Sometimes the IP address is changed as well.....with the list sometimes showing duplicate IP addresses.

I had reported this very early during my very frustrated efforts to maintain accuracy in my lists.....and I was directed to copy Device Information to the Setup Lan input section to create a Sequenced Copy / Paste list which was touted to retain the IP Address to remain as (my term) - Not Reassignable.

So I urge others in this forum who care about maintaining ACL's for Security to verify if their systems are stable.    My most recent discovery ocurred while I was locking down and blocking a SMART Home Device which was being advertised as gathering occupancy information.  After Isolating and Blocking this device, I found that my primary HP Printer was renamed as an Apple Watch.  While this anamoly was not the end of the world and was certainly fixable, it just continues to suggest that there is something totally "not right" with the device FirmWare.

I continue to be invited to upgrade my support to Extended Premium...and I continue to be resolute that, that will not happen until I see some serious fixes.

Message 1 of 2
SteinMA
Aspirant

Re: RAX50 Security Access Control Firmware Appears Unstable

I just recently started to do the same thing and ran into the exact same issue.  Names have random numbers and letters from other device names and it takes forever to populate the list and manage it easily.  By the time it populates the entire list I have to log in again when I try to make a change and start the whole reload page over again. There are definately some large shortfalls on this higher end NetGear router. Hope to get a firmware fix soon. Firmware V1.0.2.66_2.0.42.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7