× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX50 TxPkts and RxPkts always zero

orangeshed
Aspirant

RAX50 TxPkts and RxPkts always zero

I have noticed that the port statistics on my RAX50 router always show 0 for the TxPkts and RxPkts columns. This is obviously wrong for the ports that are connected, as there has definitely been activity on them. The other columns may be correct (although it looks a bit suspect that the Rx B/s on the WAN is much higher than the sum of the Tx B/s on the other ports).

rax50_stats.jpg

This is the window you get to from Advanced Home -> Show Statistics.

I thought a reboot might fix this but it didn't.

I originally saw the problem with firmware version 1.0.2.82.  Yesterday I upgraded to firmware version 1.0.2.94 and the problem still persists.

Does everyone on these firmware versions see the same problem, or is it something specific to my config?

(Note: I had to put RAX40 as the closest alternative model in the forum as RAX50 isn't an option, but, to be clear, I am seeing this problem on an RAX50.)

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

I recommend doing a factory reset, as that is nor normal behavior. I am running the same firmware version on my RAX50, with no issues with the statistics page.

PS whenever doing a factory reset as a troubleshooting step, you can do a backup of your settings file before trying it, thus if your issue remains after a reset, you can just restore the backup to save the setup.

Though if it does fix the issue, do not restore a backup file since many config backups are typically a dump of the NVRAM, thus any corruption there will become part of the backup file.

Beyond that, for your specific issue, a factory reset and a fresh setup is likely your best bet since I have not seen this issue happen on either of the listed firmware versions.

Message 2 of 5
orangeshed
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice @Razor512 .

I tried doing a factory reset earlier today.  I had a feeling that restoring the config from backup would restore the problem, so re-entered all my settings from scratch.

And after changing everything back to how it was before ... TxPkts and RxPkts were all zero.  This is what it looked like 4 hours after the factory reset:

Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 13.18.42.png

Unfortunately I was so certain that doing this would work that I didn't check the stats between every config change, so I don't know which setting caused this, or even if it was like this all the way through because something is permanently broken in my hardware.

Tomorrow I will try the factory reset process again and check the stats at regular intervals during the config updates.

Message 3 of 5
orangeshed
Aspirant

I tried another factory reset, and looked at the stats as early as I could in the setup process, and all the TxPkts and RxPkts values were still zero:

rax50_stats_after_factory_reset.jpg

So I guess that means either there's something wrong with part of the hardware on my RAX50 or else it remembers something through a factory reset that causes the problem.

Interestingly it does remember some things through a factory reset, because after my two factory resets on consecutive days my traffic meter statistics are still showing last month's usage correctly:

RAX50_traffic_meter_after_reset.jpg

Anyone know if those figures are remembered on the device itself or somewhere in the Cloud?  If it's on the device it would be interesting to know if there's a secret way to do a real factory reset that includes absolutely everything.

I'm going to open a support case about this.

Message 4 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

Netgear doesn't store that info in the cloud, thus it seems some deta is being left behind after the factory reset.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7