× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX50 in router mode and local DHCP server off

dibun
Aspirant

RAX50 in router mode and local DHCP server off

If I switch off internal DHCP server and in router mode then my clients won't get any IP's from my firewall and I can't access the WAN port via IP. In older R9000 this used to work but not in RAX50.

Any help will be appreciated

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What is your whole setup? 

And why are you disabling the dhcp server but leaving it in router mode? 

Perhaps more info on your setup, what you're actually trying to accomplish, and any other info you can think of can help us to help you. 

Message 2 of 8
dibun
Aspirant

I am running Sophos XG firewall in front of RX50 and I am using DHCP server in the firewall. Since I am using VLAN's and Netgear disables the VLANs in AP mode, I have to use router mode.

But according to the release notes of the latest firmware it seems AP mode does supports VLAN but I cannot find a way to do that. Check this link https://kb.netgear.com/000062360/RAX50-RAX50S-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-72 and it says

Fixes the issue where if the VLAN/bridge mode feature is enabled and the router is in AP mode, the user cannot log in to the router web interface and the console print crash message displays

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

why don't you use the vlan in the sophos xg?

Message 4 of 8
dibun
Aspirant

Yes I am doing that. I have vlan 10, 20 and untagged VLAN coming to the WAN port of Netgear. In router mode DHCP server off, my clients won't receive any IP address but in my old R9000 this setup works perfectly fine.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you're using vlan on the XG, why not put the RAX50 in access point mode and just leave the XG controlling router functions?

Message 6 of 8
dibun
Aspirant

Yes thats the plan but RAX50 is receving 3 VLANs on its WAN port and I need RAX50 VLAN functions to untag them in different LAN and Wifi ports. In AP mode VLAN function of RAX50 is disabled by default.

Message 7 of 8
suku_patel_22
Aspirant

I would need this feature. I have 3 VLAN's for iot, kids and main, and would like to use RAX50 in AP mode with VLAN tagging.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7