× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX50 software update fails every time, internet drops every 10 minutes, solutions

vism
Follower

RAX50 software update fails every time, internet drops every 10 minutes, solutions

This is mostly a rant, but this has been the most painful experience I've had with any router. I'm not usually an early adopter of new products and this is probably why. 

First, out of the box I go through the initial setup and it does a software update. Immediately after the update the router is bricked. Well it doesn't boot properly. I had do the TFTP method to update it properly. Even after this, to debug other issues I tried download older firmware and back to the newer firmware and every time if I use the GUI to update it will fail and I have to TFTP again.

So after getting passed that I noticed my Internet dropped out every 10 minutes. Made watching movies or playing games impossible. Took days of research and debug to figure out it was the DHCP lease on the modem (WAN) set to 10 minutes, which my old router (Asus) had no problems handling. Increasing it to 30 minutes seemed to stabilize it. 

Then my ethernet speed seemed to be capped at 300 Mbps even though I have gigabit internet and network. Seems all the software updating I did caused some hiccup and I had to factory reset it to get it back to normal. It will be a pain in the ass to do any software update if it crashes each time, and I have to TFTP and then factory reset it. 

I didn't sign up to be a beta tester and contemplated just returning this thing. But it seems stable now, and I got a good deal on it and will see how it goes for now.

Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX50 software update fails every time, internet drops every 10 minutes, solutions

Hello vism,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance or you may also contact our support team using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7