× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX70 Nighthawk - DNS just drops repeatedly - very frustrating

cpuphantom
Initiate

RAX70 Nighthawk - DNS just drops repeatedly - very frustrating

I have the Nighthawk RAX70 router that I bought only 5 months ago... and it worked flawlessly until this week.

Now several times per day DNS just gets dropped.  The result is that all my devices show "no internet" but I know the internet is fine - it appears to be an issue with this router's DNS Proxy functionality.  I can ping IP addresses outside of my network from Command Prompt no problem, but pinging a domain name like Google.com returns an error that it could not reach the DNS server to resolve an IP address.  

Rebooting the router fixes it temporarily, but it happens again within hours.  I can manually set my workstations to using a static DNS servers (I use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) and they work perfectly - but not all devices support that.  

I'm beyond frustrated that my not even 6 month old, $400 router is crapping out on me.  I'm pissed I can't change the DHCP settings on the router to just push an external DNS server out to my clients because this fancy high-end router doesn't support it.  And I'm super pissed that Netgear offers zero support past 3 months.  WTF?  Never again am I buying a Netgear product.  

Anyone have a solution?  Otherwise, I'm either going to buy a different brand router and then smashing then one with a bat and leaving one star reviews for Netgear everywhere I can find - or - flashing this with DD-WRT if possible and still leaving one star reviews everywhere I can.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
cpuphantom
Initiate

The part that just makes my blood boil, and why I'll never guy Netgear again is that when I check the warranty on their site, it says I have hardware warranty available, but "F*ck you" if you want to try and use it because Chat, Phone, and Email support are only available for a quarter of that time.  

Annotation 2021-03-27 140507.png

How am I supposed to replace my broken crappy router under warranty if I can't contact them?  

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is it connected to ?

Did you try using googles dns server? 

Message 3 of 10
RS10
Tutor

You are not alone!

Every night this thing drops all my cameras and plugs/switches!  It's so frustrating!!  I ended up putting my old $150 router back in. 

I bought the NightHawk a couple months ago and now I'm stuck with it.  If I don't get a resolution I guess my only solution is to leave bad reviews, and then toss it in a bonfire.

Message 4 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@cpuphantom wrote:

How am I supposed to replace my broken crappy router under warranty if I can't contact them?  

https://my.netgear.com/ -> My Support -> [Contact Support] -> Replace my defective product  (no worries, they will check before ...)

Message 5 of 10
RickWu
Tutor

Hi bro

I have the same situation as you, and I only bought it recently, but after I tested it, I found that it was caused by QoS being turned on. Turning off QoS is normal. You can test to see if it is normal. I have been troubled by this problem for a long time and have not been able to get an answer. I later reported it to the original factory

Message 6 of 10
RS10
Tutor

I'm going to pluf it back in and give it a try!  Finger crossed!!

@RickWu wrote:

Hi bro

I have the same situation as you, and I only bought it recently, but after I tested it, I found that it was caused by QoS being turned on. Turning off QoS is normal. You can test to see if it is normal. I have been troubled by this problem for a long time and have not been able to get an answer. I later reported it to the original factory

Message 7 of 10
brandoff7
Star

I think this is going to be a common Netgear issue. I have both the XR500 & RAX70, the XR500 was constantly dropping all DNS for a few minutes. Have not experienced yet on the RAX70 but this is concerning.

Let us know how you go with this!

@RS10 wrote:

I'm going to pluf it back in and give it a try!  Finger crossed!!

@RickWu wrote:

Hi bro

Message 8 of 10
RS10
Tutor

Nope!!

It lasted about 24hrs. I just walked in the door, and all my switches and security cameras are offline.

It only seems to be the WiFi that's affected; my desktop is hardwired to the NightHawk, and it's fine. Even rebooting the WiFi device doesn't allow it to rejoin; I have to reboot the router.

I used the [Connect Via Anywhere Access] from the app to do the reboot. I have a Ring alarm that is also hardwired; I'm going to switch it to WiFi and reboot the router again. I have a feeling that it might be precisely 24hrs until it drops everything, so that should tell me.

Message 9 of 10
MikeCrisis
Aspirant

Any updates on this?
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements