× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX75 5G WiFi keeps loosing internet connection

gs455
Aspirant

RAX75 5G WiFi keeps loosing internet connection

I have RAX75 which is Costco version of RAX80.  It of-course has latest firmware.

Everytime my laptops or desktops at home wake up from sleep, they connect back to 5G network successfully but in 50% cases, it says "no interent connection".  Of course, one would first expect laptop/desktop has driver issues but since this is happening with all the machines at home, I am now convinced it is a Router issues.  This issue goes away 100% of the time when I reboot the router and 80% of the router when I switch my wifi on/off on my machine.

I was hoping this issue will go away with latest firmware update but that is not the case here.  Before I return this back to Costco, wanted to just check if there is a quick fix for it.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Exeller_1607
Initiate

Re: RAX75 5G WiFi keeps loosing internet connection

Same model and problem as yours from costco. seems this problems been going on a while if you read the forum. so i just return mine and got the TP-LINK ARCHER AX11000 and see what happen. if it does the same thing then it goes back since costco has a good return policy.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

What modem are you connected to?

Have you did a reset/reinstall? The RAX devices are new and the firmware had significant changes since release. If you bought it new and upgraded to the latest firmware, the settings might not transfer over properly because of the changes. Try a factory reset-manual re-installi f you haven't. 

Message 3 of 9
gs455
Aspirant

Thanks - I would rather invest time in getting a different router vs. randomly deubgging for netgear

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

@gs455 wrote:

Thanks - I would rather invest time in getting a different router vs. randomly deubgging for netgear

All the AX devices are new because the spec is new. Its like the rollout of wireless AC. There was issues with that rollout because vendors release before the spec was finalized. its the same now. routers were rolled out even before the spec was finalized so people had to update firmware. many times the issues are large enough that a factory reset and reinstall is needed. thats not going to change between manufacturers beause they all use the same 3-4 companies for the hardware. 

a reset and reinstall isn't debugging. Its basic firmware updating. Just like when your PC updates and needs to reboot. 

but if you choose to buy a different router, thats your choice. I sure won't stop you. Good luck with your next AX purchase. 

Message 5 of 9
gs455
Aspirant

Thanks for the context - I will follow that when I setup new router - first upgrade firmware, reset and then setup my home network.

With all due respect if this is the stanard operating procedure, then why in 2020 firmware upgrade process is not a software which first backs up the config, upgrades the firmware, reboots, resets, uploads the software config.  Is that not an obvious thing to do for a consumer router being sold in retatil shops to a consumer?  Maybe they are too focused on hiring cheap unskilled product managers..........

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

@gs455 wrote:

Thanks for the context - I will follow that when I setup new router - first upgrade firmware, reset and then setup my home network.

With all due respect if this is the stanard operating procedure, then why in 2020 firmware upgrade process is not a software which first backs up the config, upgrades the firmware, reboots, resets, uploads the software config.  Is that not an obvious thing to do for a consumer router being sold in retatil shops to a consumer?  Maybe they are too focused on hiring cheap unskilled product managers..........

Some devices do have a backup firmware so it can load a backup firmware if there's issues. and certain ones are built with better internal parts. But these certain devices tend to be business class where they're willing to pay more. The consumer market has a more narrow profit margin.  Its not "focused on hiring cheap unskilled product managers" its the fact that there is much more narrow profit margin in the consumer market. 

You can always buy from the business section. 

Message 7 of 9
CtrlAltDel2323
Aspirant

I had simmilar issues with firmware updates since owning this product, ~7 months.  I definetly planned on returning it to Costco but tried a firwmare downgrade first.  I disabled auto-firmware update and rolled back to V1.0.1.62_1.0.26 firmware.  For the last two weeks it's been steady but I am concerned about the lack of security patches NetGear should be supporting in it.  I do see it still get the periodic log file collection of

Wednesday, Dec 31,1969 16:00:00

however I've been satisfied it's been the most stable since I've owned it.  

Message 8 of 9
RajaDaja
Luminary

Take it back!

It's a modified version of RAX80. "PIECE of JUNK!"    I  know because I bought the same  one you have.  I took it back. I went to Best Buy and bought Netgear's top of the line RAX200. Save youself  some frustration, return it.    Good Luck...

@gs455 wrote:

I have RAX75 which is Costco version of RAX80.  It of-course has latest firmware.

Everytime my laptops or desktops at home wake up from sleep, they connect back to 5G network successfully but in 50% cases, it says "no interent connection".  Of course, one would first expect laptop/desktop has driver issues but since this is happening with all the machines at home, I am now convinced it is a Router issues.  This issue goes away 100% of the time when I reboot the router and 80% of the router when I switch my wifi on/off on my machine.

I was hoping this issue will go away with latest firmware update but that is not the case here.  Before I return this back to Costco, wanted to just check if there is a quick fix for it.

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7