× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX75/80 Consistantly drops speed on both Ethernet and WiFI

Punster
Aspirant

RAX75/80 Consistantly drops speed on both Ethernet and WiFI

I purchased the RAX75/80 from Costco a few months ago and have it connected to a CM1100 Cable modem,.  I have GB Service with Cox Internet.  It will maintain 950-990 MBPS (ethernet)  for about 24 hours, WiFi is extremely fast as well.  However, it will drop sharply after about 24 hours or so to 150-280 on the ethernet port and the WiFi will be extremely slow as well.  I've updated to the latest firmware and still nada.  Once I reset the modem everything is fine for a while.  QOS is not enabled.  I got the usual Factory Reset your router advice from Support just before my free support ran out.  Has anyone solved this issue with a factory reset?

I've seen several suggestions on getting this to work in the community but so far nothing I've tried has been successful.  I bought this thinking it would be better than the Cox panoramic wifi modem which is a piece of garbage.  I've been extremely disappointed so far.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX75/80 Consistantly drops speed on both Ethernet and WiFI

Are you using wan port aggregation?
if so, i'd highly recommend disabling it on the cm1100 and the RAX and just using a single connection. I've found many ISP's have issues with port aggregation. 

Message 2 of 6
Punster
Aspirant

I've attempted to get port aggregation to work with no success so I'm ust using a single connection.

@plemans wrote:

Are you using wan port aggregation?
if so, i'd highly recommend disabling it on the cm1100 and the RAX and just using a single connection. I've found many ISP's have issues with port aggregation. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

so its solid for 24 hours and then drops? 

have you tried connecting a pc to the modem and using just that for 24+ hours to see if its a modem or a router issue? 

Message 4 of 6
Punster
Aspirant

I wouldn't say it's solid for that long.  Basically I'll check it whenever it seems slow which is about once a day.  Most of the time it's slower than mollasses.  Connecting just my pc would not be practical because we have 3 of us working from home every day.  It was doing this before that though.  I have bypassed the router when it is slow and done a speedtest that way and it's fast so it's definitely a configuration in the router.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

do you have the RAX75 or 80?

What firmare is on it? 

did you ever try reinstalling the firmware to it over a hardwired connection, then factory reset, with a clean install (not from backup)?

Just in case the firmware was corrupt on it. 

Another thing to try is downgrade a version of the firmware. The rax devices were released even before AX spec was released and occasionally get a bug with firmware upgrades. Its where sometimes the "latest isn't always the greatest". 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7