× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX75 Connectivity Issues to Windows Device

KnoxVols
Aspirant

RAX75 Connectivity Issues to Windows Device

I have recently been having connectivity issues with my Windows devices to my Nighthawk AX8 Wifi 6 Router. It worked absolutely perfectly until about a month ago when both my wife and my laptops started having massive issues staying connected to the WiFi. 

I have tried everything under the night sky to keep this thing connected, but it just keeps having issues. I started by resetting the router completely. I then made my IP address static. I reset and deleted then re-installed all drivers on my laptop and nothing still worked.

I thought it was an issue with the router itself and Netgear sent me a new router. The connection was completely fine for a few days and now those same connectivity issues are popping up again. I honestly have no idea what to do or to try next. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

have you tried rolling back the firmware a version?

you didn't put which you're on so I don't know if you're on the latest 1.0.2.76 or which your on. Look at what version you're on. If yours is older, upgrade the firmware, factory reset and reinstall.

If you're on the latest, then downgrade a version, factory reset, and re-install. And then disabled autoupdates until a newer version comes out.

Also, I'd highly recommend hardwiring into the router for any firmware changes. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

have you tried rolling back the firmware a version?

you didn't put which you're on so I don't know if you're on the latest 1.0.2.76 or which your on. Look at what version you're on. If yours is older, upgrade the firmware, factory reset and reinstall.

If you're on the latest, then downgrade a version, factory reset, and re-install. And then disabled autoupdates until a newer version comes out.

Also, I'd highly recommend hardwiring into the router for any firmware changes. 

Message 2 of 6
CtrlAltDel2323
Aspirant

I'd consider rolling back to a few frimware revisions prior.  I had similar issues with firmware updates since owning this product, ~7 months.  I definitely planned on returning it to Costco but tried a firwmare downgrade first.  I disabled auto-firmware update and rolled back to V1.0.1.62_1.0.26 firmware.  For the last two weeks it's been steady but I am concerned about the lack of security patches NetGear should be supporting in it.  I do see it still get the periodic log file collection of
Wednesday, Dec 31,1969 16:00:00

however I've been satisfied it's been the most stable since I've owned it.  But not 100% satisfied.

Message 3 of 6
KnoxVols
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the reply. I have done the exact same and it has been good in the interim. I hate the fact that I will not receive the necessary security fixes with newer firmware. I am honestly at a loss as to what to do. The router is great and covers my whole house, but I am not sure I am willing to sacrifice security for that. 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

I'd wait and watch for a newer version. Reason why is the RAX devices were released before wireless AX spec was officially formalized. This was true for many of the AX devices and not just from netgear. So they've been getting significant firmware updates/changes. 

It means that the latest, isn't always the greatest for firmware. A newer one might induce changes that do cause issues. So you roll back until a newer one comes out. The other option you can try is if you're having issues after an update, a factory reset and manual re-install can many times fix those. Reason they happen is the firmware changed enough, an old setting could be causing issues. 

Message 5 of 6
CtrlAltDel2323
Aspirant

Risk versus reward, indeed.  Buy a subpar and inexpensive product and we get these results in usability and performance.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7