× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX75 Erratic Behavior and Instability

bmr12
Follower

RAX75 Erratic Behavior and Instability

I've had this router for several months and things had been working reasonably well until the past week.  It seems to be running the latest firmware which it must have installed itself:  V1.0.3.88_1.0.41

A week ago, we had a brief power hit.   After the hit, my two wifi thermostats would no longer get a DHCP address.  After some flailing around, they could only get addresses if I disabled AX.  Now, AX had been enabled for several months and everything had been working fine through other power hits and reboots, so this must be a new breakage due to the firmware?   

Then I purchased a new device.  I have all new devices blocked by MAC address until I come in and allow them access.  So I came into the UI and saw the blocked device, and then allowed it access through the web UI.  At this point, the UI showed it as an attached device and allowed.  However, the device showed it was connected to the access point, but it did not have access to the internet.  

At this point, I figured it must be the RAX75's issue--it is showing allowed in the UI but must still be blocking access.  So I power cycled it, and then things got quite odd.  On reboot, it reset the SSIDs and passwords for all four effective access methods to the default (Primary 2.4 & 5 GHz and Guest 2.4 and 5GHz).  Now all WiFi devices that should be connected were no longer connected.  I reset the SSIDs and passwords.  Interestingly, it maintained the list of allowed MAC addresses.  Unfortunately, after all of this, the new device still had the same issue--shows as allowed but is actually blocked.  The only way it could gain access was for me to allow all new devices (instead of block new devices)--then it has internet access. 

This feels to me like either some pretty corrupted firmware or some bad memory/hardware somewhere?  I am open to ideas on how to proceed but have limited "maintenance windows" in which to fiddle with things as the rest of the household needs internet access for their jobs.

Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX75 Erratic Behavior and Instability

Hi bmr12, 

May you revert to the previous firmware version to see if the behavior changes. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7