× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX78 (AX6200) Routher unstable when USB drive connected

Ezekiel2517
Aspirant

RAX78 (AX6200) Routher unstable when USB drive connected

Bear with me, becuase I am somewhat technical, but not about networking.  I bought a new AX6200 router and have had issues getting it to work with my USB harddrive.  Whenever I connect it, the wifi signal works for about 5 minutes, then dies.  It comes back hit or miss.  Mostly miss.  The harddrive is  a simple western digital 3TB MyBook.  It worked perfectly fine on my old AC1750 netgear nighthawk router.  Any ideas what may be happening?  I have all the latest drivers updated on the router.  THanks

Message 1 of 3
thehypnootoad
Luminary

Re: RAX78 (AX6200) Routher unstable when USB drive connected

I had this issue with Rax120 I had 2 usb drives plugged in one Samsung one WD . In the end I had to unplug the Samsung due to that been the issue even though it wasn't faulty and checking the voltage specs was still in the the required power draw for usb 3 but due to it been slightly higher voltage than the WD power draw when was in use it caused havoc on the wifi. So maybe you have the same issue due to it been 3 tb even though it will be in the correct power draw for usb3 it will be close to the threshhold it seems not to play well with netgear motherboards power draw. I doubt this will be fixed as I don't know enough to realise if its firmware or hardware. Also when both are plugged into d7000 works flawless.
Message 2 of 3
Ezekiel2517
Aspirant

Re: RAX78 (AX6200) Routher unstable when USB drive connected

Thanks for the info. I think my HD may actually be USB 2.0. It's probably 5 years old at least. It has its own power supply tho, not powered by USB. I may order that 5TB seagate at costco. That series was rated to work with the RAX80 which is the closest listed model to what I have. Thanks!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7