× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 - A BIG PIECE OF JUNK

RAX80 - A BIG PIECE OF JUNK

Bought this junk a few weeks ago. I thought maybe, maybe I am getting lucky and Netgear will actually support this piece of junk and update the firmware. 

• 5G Network disappears!
  • Router not accessible via Wifi or plugged in directly and needs to be rebooted constantly!
  • Logs are overwritten when the router is rebooted!
  • Debug Page is worthless! Can't save logs externally, but save a packet capture? 
  • SSID with clear text password on the Home Page? Really ... why?
  • Smart Connect, don't even try, it's worthless!
  • GUI completely useless and unresponsive!

First time and last time I will ever buy a Netgear product! Even the crap Arris NVG468MQ from Frontier outperforms this crap. Oh, well, too late to return ..... 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
GabboCH
Apprentice

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wifi6.

If it is any concellation, you are not alone experiencing these issues, but after half a year there is no solution or acceptance there is a problem.

Join the "put it in a box in the cupboard club"...

Message 2 of 11

I don't think this is a Wifi6 problem to be honest. I can forgive some of the functionality issues with Wifi6. That does not excuse the poor (and that is being nice) design of the GUI and its functionality. 

I mean how can you bring a product to market without the ability to at least log to an external device? I can accept that for a $50 router, but a $300 top of the line residential product? This seems to me like a "let's get this product to market half baked but we can claim we were first to support Wifi6". 

Message 3 of 11
digitsnbits
Apprentice

It's not a wifi6 problem, it's a Netgear problem they're unable or won't fix.

ive got a couple of Asus routers RT-AX58U and a RT-AX88U that work as advertised.

Smart Connect, AX bands, 160mhz channels, legacy clients all work really well, no dropouts,

freezing, etc. I even have them hooked up in a mesh system. If they got it right why can't Netgear fix anything?

Message 4 of 11

Yet another failure on Netgear. Firmware upgrade available .... would you like to upgrade?

Well, Yes I would like to upgrade .... "This process takes about 2 minutes to complete."

15 minutes later the router rebooted and is stuck in a blinking white/orange power light ... This was supposed to go from .64 to .70. Done with it ... 

Message 5 of 11

Best Day Ever! Smiley LOL

I went to Best Buy and returned this $300 paper weight. I really wanted to like it and I always heard good things about Netgear, but this slapped together piece of junk was just not worth it. This was my first and last Netgear product and I will make sure that anyone will know about it. Smiley Happy

Replaced it with the ASUS RT-AX58U and not only received over $120 in refund but the setup was fast, responsive, you can save logs to external devices and the speed is amazing ... so long .... 

Message 6 of 11
GabboCH
Apprentice

There's a firmware update from 64 to 70?
Where did you find it?
The latest is still 64 on the download webpage.

Are there any release notes available?

Gabbo
Message 7 of 11

@GabboCH wrote:
There's a firmware update from 64 to 70?
Where did you find it?
The latest is still 64 on the download webpage.

Have you told the router to look for updates in the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

New firmware can land there before it makes it on to the support pages. (And vice versa.)

Unfortunately, if it is on the update server, you are in the hands of the FTP routine and have no control over the update process.

Message 8 of 11
GabboCH
Apprentice

I know how to check for updates manually but my RAX80 is in the box waiting for a firmware update that fixes all the Wi-Fi connection problems.

As I've registered my devices, have the nighthawk app & have an open support case regarding RAX80 Wifi performance I'd expect at least an automated email to tell me an update was available.

Actually, Netgear support told me 2 days ago there was no update from the Engineering Team and didn't even mention an update was soon available.
So my guess is this is just another language/webgui with minor fixes like 64 which doesn't address any of the issues people have reported.
In another thread, it seems they didn't fix the LAN/QoS issues in this release so probably too much to hope for the Wi-Fi fixes....
Message 9 of 11
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I seriously doubt Netgear will ever resolve the issues with the RAX line of routers.

Every single one has issues they seem to be unable or refuse to fix.

The RAX80 has been out for almost a year with no workable updates for problems they've known about for months, so I'm not optimistic about them getting their act together.

That being said there are manufacturers using the same hardware who have managed to put together 

stable, working wifi6 routers without the issues that has these guys stumped.

Meanwhile I have not one but two different AX routers from Asus that work as intended with no issues and no endless excuses. 

Message 10 of 11
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

Netgear is horrible never want to take ownership for anything and most definitely put the customer thru hell for a rma that you’re entitled too. I spent over 400 on the Orbi cable modem which is known for faulty intel puma 7 defected chipset/security  vulnerability  I spent the entire day speaking with netgear regarding the damage this has done mind you I submitted my case Jan 7 spoke someone who supposed to call me 24hrs. I email them no  response it’s been 3 weeks I had to call them my damn self and explain everything over to them mind you police report was file too the dos attacks , and Russian taking over devices. I also have the rax but so pissed with netgear it’s a piece of crappy. Poor customer ,support, warranty and I have tons of products with this company consumer and business very s****. They already facing class action lawsuit for faulty product 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7