× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Access Point Mode channels

delta092
Tutor

RAX80 Access Point Mode channels

I have a RAX80 with firmware V1.0.3.102_1.0.48  and running in AP mode (Canada Region). The 2.4ghz channel is set to auto and the 5ghz to channel 44. If I try to manually select different channels (e.g. change the 5ghz to 40), hit apply and it says applying settings. However, the channel doesn't change after the settings refresh and it is causing an issue because neighbours are also using 44. I have tried rebooting, factory reset, factory reset with reapplying the firmware and with exactly the same results.

Anyone else have this or any suggestions?

Thanks.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Even if you select channel 40, its still broadcasting on channels 36-48 because its a 80hz wide spectrum. The RAX80 actually uses 160hz wide spectrum as well so if you have your speeds set for "up to 4800mbps" you'll actually be extending from channel 36-64. Its called channel overlap. I'll attach a diagram. 

Benefit to 5ghz is that it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. Plus since its so much faster than 2.4ghz, when it does broadcast, its for much shorter time periods. Its the reason it suffers from less interference and why you can have channel overlap without a whole lot of issues. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Even if you select channel 40, its still broadcasting on channels 36-48 because its a 80hz wide spectrum. The RAX80 actually uses 160hz wide spectrum as well so if you have your speeds set for "up to 4800mbps" you'll actually be extending from channel 36-64. Its called channel overlap. I'll attach a diagram. 

Benefit to 5ghz is that it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. Plus since its so much faster than 2.4ghz, when it does broadcast, its for much shorter time periods. Its the reason it suffers from less interference and why you can have channel overlap without a whole lot of issues. 

Message 2 of 4
delta092
Tutor

Thanks very much for this information

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Hope it helped!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors