× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 - Can't use LAN Ports (No LAN or Internet) - Big Time Issue

migsta
Apprentice

RAX80 - Can't use LAN Ports (No LAN or Internet) - Big Time Issue

Just bought the RAX80 and very disappointed thus far.  Can't use the LAN ports on it as having any connected to my switch(es) will result in the network going down (no LAN or Internet).  Once I remove the swtich connections and go to a Netgear 5 port gigabit hub, I come up online with my entire network.  So, I have the netgear hub connected to one of LAN ports on the RAX80 and my switches on the hub.  What's up with this.  And, I know it's not an issue in my network and numerous Asus routers work from there including previous Netgear models (R8000P, XR500 and X4s) have had no issues there.

Netgear, let me know what you think also as this is a serious issue which may result in returning the router.  But, I don't wish to incur shipping costs with Amazon US if I have to return it so please come up with a proper scenario to get me out of this situation (upgrade to another RAX model or a full refund on this from you).  This is not an acceptable situation for a product of this magnitude.  And, yes, I do have a TON of Sonos equipment wired into my switches but none are directly connected to my router.  And, this shouldn't pose an issue either way.  

Netgear, don't release something like this if LAN ports don't work.  This is not a functioning router as it stands.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
migsta
Apprentice

Re: RAX80 - Can't use LAN Ports (No LAN or Internet) - Big Time Issue

Besides the issue report with the LAN Ports the browser interface on this thing is absolutely dreadful.  It looks insipid and responds slowly but it's the same issue this interface gets with all Netgear routers - at least, they could have kept the same colors though.

These are supposed to be Netgears flagship routers/devices but nothing impressive on this yet.

And, I'm still waiting to hear back from Netgear.  Yesterday, their RAX tech was busy so they've scheduled a call back.  Worse of all, as with all support that we call, you have to repeat everything over and over, transfer after transfer and the only feedback you get are the very obvious suggestions that we all try (cable, reboot, reset factory defaults, etc.).  Talking to myself I guess, so I'll stop now.

Message 2 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi migsta, 

Thank you for your post. I'd like to assist with support following up on your case as soon as possible. Please send me a message with your case number and email address.

~Christian 

Message 3 of 13
migsta
Apprentice

Case #41183765

I was withe someone on support already and I emailed them a lot of files base don't recreating the issue.  I don't feel that it's right to have to go through this as a LAN port from a router should function in my setup just the R7800/X4s works, the R8000P works, the GT-AC5300, the AX88u, the AX11000 all work without a glitch save the RAX80.  Yes, I'm evaluating routers which is why there's a long list of models but every single one of the mentioned models - no issues save the RAX80.  This is where I feel a full REFUND is in order (Netgear paying for my shipping costs to return to Amazon), an exchange for the RAX120 or RAX200 with me paying the difference or an immediate resoution to this from Netgear are the only 3 things that should be immediately conceded to by Netgear.  This type of troubleshooting should be reserved when the product is still in the QA process.

Most manufactures though don't typically do right by the customer and I feel that I'm in this situation now with Netgear.

Message 4 of 13

There's a lot going on in there. Not all of it that clear.

Take this bit.

@migsta wrote:

Can't use the LAN ports on it as having any connected to my switch(es) will result in the network going down (no LAN or Internet). 

What is the order of these things?

modem > router > switch?

What is "the netgear hub"? An Ethernet switch? Something else?

And where do you get the "going down" information? What are you doing and what are the messages you see?

When you set up this new network, did you go through the complete installation regime in the correct order, with a complete network reboot? You can't just remove one router and stick in another one.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

Message 5 of 13
migsta
Apprentice

Hi,

There isn't a lot going on here.  It's two switches connected to the lan ports of the RAX80 and it does not work.  Yet this exact same setup wors with an R7800 and other mentioned routers.  While I agree the issue here is unique to the RAX80, and perhaps not easy to figure out why it's happening with this router, I shouldn't have to bear the consequences of troubleshooting something that is basic to router functionality.  The issue is unique to the RAX80 and probably needs a firmware update but when?

Don't continue to discount the fact that my setup works with all of the other routers save the RAX80.  I appreciate input/help but it's easier if we trivialize what works and go from there rather than ignore facts.

Message 6 of 13

@migsta wrote:

Don't continue to discount the fact that my setup works with all of the other routers save the RAX80. 

I'm not. But you seem to discount suggestions you receive, on the start-up regime for example.

That's your call. But it is based on bitter experience, swapping different routers in and out of a network.

It also helps to have a clear description of what is happening. For example, we now know that those "hubs" are switches rather than something more exotic.

If you are determined to get into a spat with Netgear over its support regime, fine. I was just trying to suggest things, based on reading many messages here, that might reduce  the agony.

Message 7 of 13
migsta
Apprentice

For the record, I am fully cooperating. I was on the phone for an hour plus getting all the information requested by a Netgear L2 and sending all of the files asked for including reproducing the issue (thus bringing my network down to do so). I would return this router right now but will lose on hefty shipping charges for which Netgear does not care to reimburse me. Why would I struggle with this router and my network if other routers work and don’t give such hassle. I feel like I am cooperating but frustrated to be asked questions for which I’ve already provided information.
Message 8 of 13

You do realise that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies?

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

Your travails with the official support channels are very different from what goes on here. That you have not felt it worth your efforts to respond to questions and suggestions here is your choice.

I leave you to the tender mercies of tthe Netgear support team.

Perhaps next time you should buy stuff from a local supplier so that you can return it without being charged shipping fees.

Message 9 of 13
migsta
Apprentice

My apologies. I realized after that someone is just trying to help.

Anyways, Arris cable modem is bridged. I have a TP-Link TL-SG1024D lan port going into LAN 1 of RAX80 and a Netgear DGS-1016D lan port going into LAN 2 of RAX80. I then have a Netgear JGS524 switch and a Cisco POE SF200-24P but I don’t know yet where the Cisco and Netgear switches are being fed from. Either it’s DGS-1016D to Netgear JGS524 to Cisco SF200-24P or it’s DGS-1016D to Cisco SF200-24P to Netgear JGS524.

What I notice now though is that if I only connect my LAN 1 RAX80 to the TP-Link it works. As soon as I connect my DGS-1016D to LAN 2 of RAX80, I go down.

If I have an issue on this path, why did all the other routers work?

So to have it working, RAX80 LAN 1 to TP-Link, RAX80 LAN 2 to an 8 port D-Link gig switch, LAN port of this 8 port switch to the DGS-1016D and the switches thereafter. Orbi in AP mode with 3 satellites is in RAX80 LAN 3.

It works like this for now.
Message 10 of 13
migsta
Apprentice

Plus, I have a ton of Sonos stuff hard wired primarily to the TP-Link off RAX80 LAN 1 which is the path that works and one Sonos Connect hard wired on the DGS-1024D (failing path when on LAN 2 of RAX80). No Sonos device is hard wired to the RAX80 directly.
Message 11 of 13

@migsta wrote:
Plus, I have a ton of Sonos stuff hard wired primarily to the TP-Link off RAX80 LAN 1 which is the path that works and one Sonos Connect hard wired on the DGS-1024D (failing path when on LAN 2 of RAX80). No Sonos device is hard wired to the RAX80 directly.

Reading that, and the earlier bits, it looks to me like you underestimated the complexity of your network when you said:

There isn't a lot going on here. It's two switches connected to the lan ports of the RAX80 and it does not work.

That you can get it to work, up to a point, suggests that there is some subtle interaction going on in there.

There are other fellow users with more knowledge of local networks than I have. Maybe one will step in now that you have provided a more detailed description of what is going on at your end.

I still wouldn't rule out "boot issues", with things getting confused when IP addresses get handed out, but it is also work remembering that as an early adopter of "RAX" kit you have "volunteered" to be a beta tester for Netgear.

They haven't even managed to together a manual for the latest box under that label.

You probably found it already, but just in case, there is support for the RAX80, including a manual, at the end of this link:

>>>RAX80 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Message 12 of 13
migsta
Apprentice

Put back my Asus GT5300 and absoultely no issues with my two switch connections into the LAN ports.  Same with the X4s/R7800 when I was using that one.  This RAX80 is not ready for prime time.  Going to package it up and return it even though I'm going to lose shipping costs.  This router isn't ready to be used for prime time.  Issues encountered,

LAN Ports as described here

Horrible GUI interface - colors, response, editing devices slow and slow all over

Nighthawk iOS app - not that much better either

Editing Devices on GUI - will lose all changes made if the router is rebooted

This is a really sad attempt by Netgear at putting a flagship product out on the market.  Asus is so much better from every other aspect with respect to the points that are failing for me with Netgear RAX80.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7