× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 - Device Names not sticking after reboot of router

migsta
Apprentice

RAX80 - Device Names not sticking after reboot of router

Anybody else notice that taking the time to name your devices gets them reset/nullified on a reboot of the RAX80?  I've noticed this now on two reboots of the RAX80.  What a pain as getting all your devices name properly is painstaking and time conusming so that's now twice that I've lost them on a reboot.  I'm on the latest firmware of this router.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: RAX80 - Device Names not sticking after reboot of router

Reads like a fil-rouge many Netgear router owner experience and report for years. Custom names disappearing, device types randomly changing, wireless devices showing up as wired, ...  Countless community reports.

While talking, what device types do you get on the RAX80 o the list - the same selection as on the Nighthawk App, or a complete different set? Look here -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/BUG-REPORT-Speed-Test-Information-Home-Screen-Wrong-S...

@Christian_R  @ChristineT  how long should this Nightmare continue - issues which are not new on the RAX80, not new to the Nighthawk App, ... it's just ridiculous, isn't it?

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Aside, a moderator is kindly asked to move this thread to the Nighthawk WiFi Routers community section please.

Message 3 of 7
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have seen this issue also using the web login in a browser. If you download the NightHawk iOS or Android app you can set the names there without issue. Not sure why it works in App but not in browser... also the names in App do not seem to carry over to the web interface.
Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@xjn wrote:
I have seen this issue also using the web login in a browser. If you download the NightHawk iOS or Android app you can set the names there without issue. Not sure why it works in App but not in browser... also the names in App do not seem to carry over to the web interface.

Can't see where the "without issue" is - it's an ongoing mess. The fact that the App does show what is set does not mean it's at the right place where it makes sense to the Web UI ... and the other way round. Believe me, not so long ago there was the Genie App workable on (many other) Netgear routers - and the results were once more random and different.

If you look over to the Nightawk App bugs thread referenced before, you will find proof (for the R9000 as an example) that the web UI device types and the App device types are completely different. So there might be much more than "just" the names. Well, I was hoping that at least these "new" routers have things in sync - obviously still ways to go. 

Still (or again) awaiting official explaination for the interoperability issues, .... @ChristineT  @Christian_R 

Message 5 of 7
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a feeling the majority of people use the mobile apps so unfortunately us advanced users that use the web interface are low priority when it comes to fixes. I wish they would fix it but if they do not will probably not get a Netgear router again in future.
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Can @xjn please provide a screenshot of the RAX80 Attached Devices, espacially show in the Device Types (and count the total number) please?

@xjn wrote:
I have a feeling the majority of people use the mobile apps so unfortunately us advanced users that use the web interface are low priority when it comes to fixes. 

And once all are using the App, they will abandon it and remove features - see the many disappointed Netgear customers which have lost the Live Parental Controls from their Nighthawk-App-mandatory router products as the Genie App was retired for these models.

@xjn wrote:
I wish they would fix it but if they do not will probably not get a Netgear router again in future.

Can't get rid of the impression, there is a bigger can of worms involved...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7