× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Drops Internet Constantly

Polaris_RZR
Guide

RAX80 Drops Internet Constantly

Hi, All -

Yesterday I just about threw my RAX80 and EX8000 in the garbage. 

The router has been "ok" in terms of reliability since I got it roughly half a year ago.  Started off great, but still found myself resetting it here and there, which I understand is basically the norm.  Now over the last 2-3 months, I'd be shocked if I went an hour without the internet not dropping or resetting itself.  My desktop is directly wired, so any drop is generally quick enough that it just appears to be intermittent lag.  Anything connected wireless takes several minutes to reconnect or sometimes I need to do a full router reset.

Charter sent me an upgraded modem three weeks and now the problems are significantly worse.  The drops are more frequent and the signal strength is up and down.  Charter was adament it's nothing on their end as they have seen no issues whatsoever, even so, they did send a refresh signal.  I also directly plugged my desktop into the modem when the wifi dropped; worked great.

Yesterday the signal was down every 10-15 minutes.  I did a full factory reset, in addition, I went online and looked at multiple different setting tweaks to hopefully remove the issues (port forwarding, higher priorities, etc.).  On the plus side, while downloading a game update on the Xbox, I went from a 2.5ish Mbps to a 55-65 Mbps and a latency close to 200 down to 70-80; however, the intermittent drops continued. 

In fear of me causing more issues with the setting tweaks, I did another factory reset...actually I did three.  I could not get the reset to even bring my internet back.  Eventually I did get the internet set back up.  For kicks and giggles, I unplugged the extender last night hoping this was causing the issues and not the router; nope, internet still acting the same.

Any suggestions or do I have another faulty Netgear product?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
Wigwam0
Tutor

I have orbi50 system and your story is the same as mine orbi50 experience..... If I reset them it works for one hour......then I have to reset them for them to work....

Message 2 of 17
Rozman
Tutor

Same problem. Been trying to talk with Netgear support, not being much help. I will update my post as they get back to me.
Message 3 of 17
Polaris_RZR
Guide

I got absolutely no resolution from calling support.  What a joke.

Message 4 of 17
richs9118
Initiate

Same issue here

Message 5 of 17
Wigwam0
Tutor

I trow it out of the window and bought some thing else.

Message 6 of 17
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , I have the same issue RAX80 modem is 6 months old  , and been giving the run around by Netgear support ( need to purchase a phone contract , which I refused ). I too have experienced connection drop out issues of the internet , thought it was my Optus 4G modem , but since have been given a warranty replacement and no change( also tried my sons Optus 4G modem which is working fine).

I have firmware V1.0.3.106_1.0.50 and no new versions to download.

So basically will be watching , or surfing the internet and I lose connection , which after a minute comes back.

I have a Google Nest , which I can see from where I am sitting , and you see it popping up No Connection continually over the hour.

I have also replaced network cables , factory rest modem twice , turned off OFDMA as suggested by other users.

Happy for any suggestions?  Thanks David

Message 7 of 17
MVBASS1
Initiate

i have an RAX70 with the same issues.  2 months old, just past the return period. This is what mine does constantly and drops wired and wi-fi. Spectrum replaced the modem, tested the lines and says its not my signal. 

Support is NO HELP!

[Internet connected] IP address: XX.XX.XXX.XXX, Tuesday, March 02, 2021 21:27:49
[Internet connected] IP address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Tuesday, March 02, 2021 21:27:42 

Message 8 of 17
Wigwam0
Tutor

through the router away and buy other brand!!!

Message 9 of 17
Rozman
Tutor

I retired my RAX routers and went mesh.  The NETGEAR Orbi professional WiFi 6 systems is the money.

I have the base and 2 satellites.  I get a steady 900mbs wireless, 950 wired to a satellite and I pay for 1G speed. I'm closer to 1G steady on direct wired to the base, and modem is reading 1+G.  I have nothing to complain about, anymore.

I have 2500 square feet with not a bad spot, steady anywhere with no interruptions.  I have 48 devises attached.  Most are WiFi home devises, so most stay on a dormant state until called on.

we run a highly secured home office with video conference, and on the other side of the spectrum have an online race and flight simulator in another room, not for professional use.  We have had 2 video calls and the online simulator running with no lag, slowing, or issues. It has been that way since I set it up, and I can not remember the last time I have gone into the settings. No need.

For a true worry free set up, go mesh. I did a lot of research before switching my system.  I read that this is harder to set up than a router, you need to be a tech to work a mesh system.  NOT TRUE!  This was sooo much EASIER than any other system I have ever had, and I set up my first system in 1995. I can hear it now, welcome to the 2000, good time to upgrade, about time... funny.  I have owned my business since 1995, with a Linux, windows, and OS network running together, yes together.  So, when I say this was the easiest to setup and has been the most stable system I have EVER had.  I mean it.

I will be adding another satellite, not for coverage, I only needed one for that.  I will get my 3rd strictly for the Ethernet ports.  Plugging directly into the satellites, is next to directly plugging into the modem.

I'm still running the NETGEAR C1100 modem.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 17
Wsloan
Aspirant

I just purchased a RAX70 and with in 2 days experienced the same problems. Netgear Support was not much help either. My ISP is google fiber webpass and they claimed that the only way to resolve the issue was to downgrade to 100Mbps from a gig. You buy a $400.00 router and it can only handle 100 Mbps? Really????

Has anyone figured out how to resolve this or are these routers just trash?

Thanks in advance
Message 11 of 17
AzoriaArt
Aspirant

Having the exact same issues on my fresh out of the box RAX120v2 running Firmware 1.2.0.16.  I've factory reset 3 times now at NetGear Tech request, last reset they had me manually push the firmware, yet the issue still remains.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 17
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , just as a follow up , had to really push "I would take the Modem back to the store and make it a Retailer DOA issue" , if Netgear was not going to offer support, as per Australian ACCC rules regarding customer rights.

A ticket was then raised and I had a call from a level one tech, who spent the best part of an hour diagnosing basically what I have done previously. She was trying her best with was she could do in her area level, eventually we tried a new MTU number and left the modem to see if any better. I find treating them just like I would like to be treated if I was in their position gets you a lot further. They are just doing their job!

Reported after a few days no better , still dropouts of my wireless/ ethernet connections thru the house. Had a level two tech call me and again went thru the same process , entered another MTU number , but most IMPORTANT installed a new BETA firmware.

I can report seems to be stable as after a week , but will know after testing all weekend if issue resolved.

All I can say is be patient , they are aware of the issue with 5G wireless , but were unaware it also affected LAN.

Push your point when you ring them , go thru the process , and will hopefully have result in your favour.

I have had Netgear modems most of my life , yes had a few dodgy models , sold them and moved on , but all in all they offer a good product.

PS I am not sponsored by Netgear either . lol  

Message 13 of 17
Rbr19
Aspirant

I just purchased the RAX50 and I'm having the same issues. I've been fighting with it for a couple days and figured out some fixes that seem to help. Ie instead of dropping the internet every 15 minutes it is probably once per day now. 

At first I was rebooting my router each time to get it back online. Then I figured out that if you just renew you lease with your ISP that also works. Way faster that a full reboot each time. In your router go to Advanced -> Connection Staus (on the Home Screen) -> Renew. 

I first noticed that the issue was way worse when when the whole family was home in the evening because there were all of a sudden way more devices accessing the internet at the same time. My theory of the issue is that devices keep accessing the router and have the same IP address and there was a conflict. For example my iPhone was using 192.168.1.2. My daughters iPad was also using the same address. I'm not a network guy though so that is just a guess. 

The fix for me was to log into the router and go to Advanced -> Setup -> LAN setup. On this tab you can manually assign an IP address to each device. That way the IP address for my phone never changes and same for all the other devices. This seems to have helped a lot!  

I've also changed my MTU setting to 1400. 

I still get kicked off the internet once per day. I think it happens when my ISP renews the lease. I posted on another forum and I've been told to disable the traffic monitor. I'll see if this helps. I've also read on other posts that you may have to roll back the firmware version. I'll try that next. 

Hopefully this posts saves someone a few hours of headaches!!

Message 14 of 17
Wsloan
Aspirant

After tech support not being able to solve the issue, they recommended returning the router. After returning the router and hooking up the new replacement (RAX 70), there was a firmware update that I was prompted to install.

So after 4 days on the new router with the new firmware, the router has been working great with no dropping of the internet so far. All of the router settings are the factory default such AX enabled, MTU=1500.
Message 15 of 17
rogzballz
Aspirant

Same, I've had mine for not even a year and i am finding myself restarting this router more and more frequently. I even bought a PoE router and extender thinking it would help, but nope, they all drop connection ... 

What other brand are you guys switching to? 

Message 16 of 17
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , just a follow up, since I have spoken with Netgear Support as above, I have had no issues with my modem RAX80.

I have even downloaded latest firmware , and still going strong.

Whilst maybe a fluke , my modem is still having no issues , I do suggest to contact Netgear support & dont give up. If they seem to stall you , request a supervisor to investigate.

Cross my fingers, no more posts on this forum. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7