× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Firmware Stability

redparadox
Guide

RAX80 Firmware Stability

I have had continual stability issues with this router since I bought it.  Like many others on this board, we have waited for Netgear to release stable firmware for it.  I was guaranteed a crash/reboot of this router at least once a day.  Because both my wife and I are in a WFH situation, that instability alone drove me to look for another WiFi solution for home.

After trying many setting combinations, I found the two settings below to be the most problematic (at least for me).

1) Disable smart-connect and just run separate 2.4Ghz/5Ghz networks.  

Makes it a bit of pain, but if you have a number IoT 2.4Ghz devices, you are better off just separating the networks.  I continually had issues with those IoT devices dropping off the network.  A number of users have reported those same issues with smart-connect.

2) Disable the QoS settings

This setting seemed to be the root cause of my router crash/reboots.  Since disabling that feature, my router has been up for almost 5 continuous days.  That is a record.  Maybe it is just because I have anywhere from 30 to 40 devices connected that it just wigs out that section of firmware.

Bottom line

Just disable a number of the features that you probably bought the router for in the first place and it will work fine.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
kalantan
Tutor

Re: RAX80 Firmware Stability

I have the same - ish issue. My RAX80 looses services and connectivity on avewrage of once a week and needs to be rebooted. I have QoS disabled. 

I'm not sure hoiw to disable Smart Connect. Stilkl searching through settings.

Thanks for any assist...!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7