× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23 needs work!

SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I have not tried any earlier firmwares. 1.0.1.56 seems to be more stable to me then the latest 1.0.1.58.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 51 of 109
Stianu89
Tutor

Just got this router aswell and i am sad to say it has been nothing but troubble. 

Wifi disconnecting.

Admin interface is unresponsable after a few hours of uptime.

Web interface is slow.

Router needs to be rebooted at least twice every day. 

This needs to be fixed asap, or i am returning my unit.. and leaving a bad review for the device, wich is sad, because its one of the nicer looking prosumer routers. I expected more for this pricepoint. 

Message 52 of 109
JJsalsa
Guide

More followup since I downgraded firmware to 1.0.1.56:

Router still craps out at least 4-5 times/day and seems to do so more reliably when I'm NOT using the wireless connection - as in when I'm gone or during night.

Oddly, when I do a hard factory reset using a paper clip and reset button, it always comes back to the state it was in prior to that after boot - meaning that all my settings are still there. I was advised by Netgear and this community to do a factory reset after any firmware change and that I'd need to re-enter all my settings. So, how is it that a hard reset does not lose the previous state??

Jake

Message 53 of 109
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

Have you tried doing factory reset in the GUI? That is the only method I have tried and it works, I have not experienced any resets with 1.0.1.56 but I had plenty of resets with 1,0.1.58 especially when my Apple Watch tried to connect to the WiFi. 

Message 54 of 109
JJsalsa
Guide

Regarding Factory Reset: The User Manual describes using the reset button as the way to do this. along with the Erase function to erase all settings, so I have not yet tried the Erase function. But very oddly, the reset button method does not erase the settings on my unit. I hold it for at least 5 seconds as instructed.

One more oddity: I see a lot of DoS attacks reported in the log and I've read that this happens in other models too. I see no such thing in my older R8500.  My new modem (ATT fiber) is set in "passthrough" mode, so it simply passes the I/P address assigned to it from the network to the Router.  I'm wondering if I should instead let it assign an address to the RAX80 via DHCP or assign one manually that is on its internal network...  

Otherwise, I replaced the R8500 for now since so tired of the constant power resets needed with the RAX80!  Very very frustrating...

Message 55 of 109

@JJsalsa wrote:

One more oddity: I see a lot of DoS attacks reported in the log and I've read that this happens in other models too.

Netgear is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Just use whois to see who is behind some of them. You may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

Message 56 of 109
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

1.0.1.56 seems to be the most stable for me compared to 1.0.1.58. Even though one of the bugs I experience with both firmware is that on my GIG connection through Spectrum periodically the max speed I would get over Ethernet or Wireless 5G is 500 Mbps down. I would have to reboot the router to regain full speeds.

Anyone know what is an acceptable download speed over 5G connecting at 866 Mbps? The fastest I seem to get on speed tests on my iPad Air 2019 is 640/40. I was able to get around 660/40 sometimes on 1.0.1.58 but that version is too buggy, 

Message 57 of 109
Sanjonline
Tutor

Well it seems like support has closed the case after a week of me reopening the same case,  Admitedly I haven't been contactable because I was on some mine site in the middle of the bush working.  Besides none of the suggestions support had asked me to try worked, even though they were not even remotely close to be able to resolve the issue.  As I have now just about had enough trying get this router to play nice and do what it is meant to, I am resigned to packing it up and putting in the next e-waste pickup as it is now just taking up space.  Going back to my trusty and reliable Fritzbox seems to be the best option and least frustrating, and I know that it just works.  I don't see Netgear really taking the consumers seriously or going out of the way to fix their software/firmware anytime soon on the RAX80

Message 58 of 109
JJsalsa
Guide

I think the pinnacle of my Netgear support experience was when the kid on the phone (in Philippines) took a lot of info and then had to "go check to see if any similar problems had been reported", as if the whole of Netgear was unaware of threads such as this describing constant instability issues and problems.  Is anyone over there listening?  Then I got the standard "reset to factory settings" advice along with a rebuke for buying my RAX80 from a private seller.  Mine is now back in the box and a paperweight, at least until such time as Netgear can release firmware that comes even close to working reliably...

Message 59 of 109
jforce66
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware back tp .40 about a month ago and apart from a couple of initial wifi dropouts has been very stable, no reboots required for at least 3 weeks.  Still not happy that I have had to do this and as we are having Cat6 run through the house as part of a renovation wifi will be less important so also considering going back to my ISP provided Fritzbox.

Message 60 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Stianu89 - Have you gotten a chance to contact our support team? Your may activate your complimentary support using the link below.

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 61 of 109
JJsalsa
Guide

RAX80: I can now report that I also downgraded my firmware to 1.0.1.40 and finally the reset function worked after that (the hard reset didn't even work properly with .56 or .58 for me). After that downgrade and re-programming the settings, the unit is FINALLY acting more stable. No reboots or crashes for a whopping 12 hours so far 😉 It still forgets all the names I put in the Attached Devices, but otherwise is working. So from my POV, .40 was the last stable release.  If memory serves, the wireless speeds are not as fast as the later firmware. But it is clear that the last two releases introduced a lot of bugs and were not tested comprehensively...

Message 62 of 109
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I finally had to downgrade to 1.0.1.40 from 1.0.1.56. Started to experience some of the bugs reported here with 1.0.1.56 after a week worth of uptime. 

Message 63 of 109
JJsalsa
Guide

I have sadly relegated my RAX-80 back to paper weight duty, after several days of stable operation with firmware 1.0.1.40 and then several days where it was crashing again about 4 times per day.

It is just absurd that Netgear would release a product this unstable. When it is up, it works great, but what good is that when it goes down randomly otherwise?  And having to DOWNgrade firmware 2 revisions from the current release to obtain even a modicum of stable operation is also ridiculous. This unit is unuseable as is. And either everyone on this forum thread has hardware issues, or Netgear has firmware issues. I tend to believe the latter... I'm not sure how (if) they test their products under varying setup conditions, but this unit is not ready for prime time.

Message 64 of 109
xarlitux
Aspirant

As an owner of an RAX80  I have to agree with the rest of the posts on this thread. I've contacted the netgear telephone support team and the way their support system is setup, I'll have to spend multiple days on the phone just to get my case referred to a level 3 or engineering team to take a look at my case. I've tried every firmware version .40, .56 and .58 and they are all unstable. Like other users the most stable firmware of all three is the .40 version but it will still randomly drop devices or the connectivity to the internet will be temporarily lost. I sadly exchanged a netgear xr500 for the rax80 thinking the latter would be the superior router but its clearly not. Whoever is working on the firmware for this router needs to take a closer look at all the users who are experiencing the same issues. The return window for this item is closed and I'm stuck with it. Very depressing and dissapointing.

Message 65 of 109
kemcro
Guide

To pile on, I am in the same boat, I have also tried all three firmware and patiently waiting for stable firmware.  Luckily I have a fully  working AC router from a competitor.  In the meantime my RAX80 is collecting dust... 

Message 66 of 109
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I noticed that after downgrading to 1.0.1.40 that the GUI version stays at 1.0.1.56 but the firmware version is 1.0.1.40. So far so good been a little over 24 hours without a hiccup. 

Message 67 of 109
Xinil
Aspirant

Lending my support/anecdote in that I was forced to downgrade to firmware 1.0.1.40. Version 56 was nothing but trouble and constantly (roughly every 1-2 hours) disconnected all wifi devices. Frustrating as I literally just bought this router a day ago! Thankfully 1.0.1.40 is smooth so far.

Message 68 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SAM_the_GAM - Would you mind providing a screenshot of the discrepancy you see.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 69 of 109
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I went back to 1.0.1.56 so far so good! I am noticing slightly faster speeds over WiFi with 1.0.1.56

Message 70 of 109
JJsalsa
Guide

Why does the Netgear monitor on this forum never have anything to say regarding this myriad of firmware instability issues?

Ironically I took a chance on the RAX80 because it was released about 8 months ago (as opposed to the newer RAX120), and yet, even with that lead time, Netgear releases firmware that is entirely unreliable. . .  I guess that shows how far behind they are on an actual well-tested product when they release it, presumably to compete in the marketplace.

Has anyone gotten any indication that they are working on alll these issues and have an ETA for the next release?   It's hard to be optimistic about this router ever working when the stability seems to notch DOWN on each subsequent release.  (I can't even get 1.0.1.40 to stay up) I'd be happier if they worked on stability first and speed improvements later.

Message 71 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello JJsalsa and others, 

Engineering is aware of the issue and is working on a fix as soon as possible. At this time we do not have a definitive date or an ETA on the next firmware release. I will be sure to provide an update on this thread as soon as I can. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 72 of 109
ThisSucks
Aspirant

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello JJsalsa and others, 

Engineering is aware of the issue and is working on a fix as soon as possible. At this time we do not have a definitive date or an ETA on the next firmware release. I will be sure to provide an update on this thread as soon as I can. 

So, to be clear. Everyone, with this router is screwed. Think about that. We spent ~$350 on a router that can't provide interenet access, which means we have to buy a new router. 

Message 73 of 109

@ThisSucks wrote:

So, to be clear. Everyone, with this router is screwed.

That is not what this conversation says.

One message just before you stepped in with this nonsense advises:

I went back to 1.0.1.56 so far so good! I am noticing slightly faster speeds over WiFi with 1.0.1.56

Do you need help in how to install this slightly older firmware? If so, start here:

RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.1.56 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 74 of 109
Xinil
Aspirant

Thank you for your response Christian. We appreciate the update.

Just wanted to update and say 1.0.1.40 is still experiencing problems for me. The router reboots/crashes/loses internet about once every day it seems. Just happened while I was on a Zoom meeting. So to recap, 1.0.1.40, 1.0.1.56 and 1.0.1.58 all have the same issues for me - random crashes. 1.0.1.40 seems to be the most stable so far, but still not great. 

Seriously considering returning this device at this point. 😞

Message 75 of 109
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7