× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Firmware V1.0.6.138_1.0.76 = No internet

RAX80 Firmware V1.0.6.138_1.0.76 = No internet

Same exact issue here. Have done multiple FW upgrades in the past that DID NOT require a factory reset (good coding). There is obviously something wrong with this FW update (bad coding). Netgear should pull this down and replace it with a proper upgrade.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would manually load the FW file on the router using MS Edge or Firefox on a wired PC.

After the router has processed the FW file and reboots and comes back to ready, power OFF the Router and ISP modem for 1 minute. 

Than back ON with the modem first, then power ON the router.

After it comes to ready, with a wired PC, log into the routers web page and navigate to Advanced Tab/Admin/Backup and select ERASE. 

Walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. 

Check internet access with wired and wireless devices. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset and setup the router from scratch after this version of FW is installed. I saw similar bad behavior with my RAX200 with v.138 loaded and had to factory reset it and setup from scratch. Working now. 

Otherwise, users can reach out to NG support and let them know what your experiencing:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

@TheComputerHyp wrote:

Same exact issue here. Have done multiple FW upgrades in the past that DID NOT require a factory reset (good coding). There is obviously something wrong with this FW update (bad coding). Netgear should pull this down and replace it with a proper upgrade.

Message 2 of 8

I tried your suggestion. Installed FW V1.0.6.138_1.0.76 and did a factory reset.

The issue persists. No internet access after wasting time doing this.

Although I did notice that when I ran a speed test from within the QoS menu, that the router was connected with wonderful speed. But none of my network devices were able to connect to the internet.

Once again, I rolled back the FW to V1.0.5.132_1.0.69 to get my devices connected to the internet.

I pity the poor tech-challenged soul whose router automatically updated to the latest FW,

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you happen to power OFF the router after applying the FW for 1 minute them back ON then factory reset? 

Message 4 of 8

No, I did not power off. You failed to mention that step.

OK, I'll try once more, ONLY IF you give me an EXACT DETAILED sequence of events.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would manually load the FW file on the router using MS Edge or Firefox on a wired PC.

After the router has processed the FW file and reboots and comes back to ready, power OFF the Router and ISP modem for 1 minute. 

Than back ON with the modem first, then power ON the router.

After it comes to ready, with a wired PC, log into the routers web page and navigate to Advanced Tab/Admin/Backup and select ERASE. 

Walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. 

Check internet access with wired and wireless devices. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 6 of 8

Followed your instructions and learned what the problem was.

After following your instructions, internet access was available to all devices. BUT, as soon as I loaded my saved backup CFG file, I lost ALL internet access. Final solution was to install the FW update but NOT reinstall my saved configuration file. I don't understand why this was a problem. After I rolled back the FW update the other day, I did restore the backed up CFG file and everything worked well. For whatever reason, my backup CFG file was the culprit. The new FW didn't like my backup CFG file, but the old FW did. Go figure.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

OK thanks for letting us know. Yes, as FW is developed and graduated, Some, I say "some" features in and out of the backup configuration, IF made on older versions of FW, maybe come incompatible with newer versions of FW. Why we recommend factory resets and setup from scratch, IF problems are encountered or if problems are encountered with using older conffiguration backup files. Setup from scratch, now make a new back up configuration to file on this version of FW. Should be good to go now here. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7