× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Keeps Cutting Internet Out For Ethernet

RsmCrazyGamer
Aspirant

RAX80 Keeps Cutting Internet Out For Ethernet

Hi, i've been reading a lot on similar problems with the RAX80 router. Basically, my ethernet connection keeps dropping every 30-60 minutes or faster. Sometimes its for a few seconds and sometimes its almost a minute long.

First I noticed that people were having connection issues with some of the newest firmware. I downgraded to v1.0.1.56 because some people said I might not have issues and get a faster speed than 1.0.1.40... however it still cut out quite a bit so I downgraded even further to 1.0.1.40.

After that I noticed I was being spammed with DOS attacks and quickly found out that Netgear has a bit of a track record for false positives on DOS attacks. Most of them were from things like apple, amazon, etc... So I disabled port scans and DOS protection. This helped quite a bit but I was still cutting out a lot. Before, I was loosing connection every few minutes, now I'm loosing it every 30-60 minutes.

I also noticed that on my modem when the connection drops the light for the ethernet port would go out, and other times it would turn an orange/red color. However, after going out once or turning the red color it would stay that color until I plugged the ethernet cable back in. I tried moving the cable to different ports and tried using different ethernet cables (all cat6) and moving those to different ports. The results were all the same.

I do play a lot of online games so I keep getting dropped from online sessions and voice chats which is getting very irritating. I was wondering if anyone else had any solutions.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
OBIHoernchen
Aspirant

Betreff: RAX80 Keeps Cutting Internet Out For Ethernet

Hey,

my RAX80 ist at 1.0.1.56, too,

It has no connection drops at this FW with LAN or with WiFi at the moment. I used it in Acces Point Mode.

I recommend to do a factory reset after downgrade the RAX80 and restart the Modem/Router/Internet Gateway before plug again to the WAN-port on the RAX80. This solves a lot of problems here.

which options are enabled? like smart connect or ax or else?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
RsmCrazyGamer
Aspirant

I tried to do a factory reset on the RAX80, but that put me into a very interesting loop of updates. When I did the setup for the rax80 again it forced me to update to the newest firmware. After that I tried to downgrade, but it would not connect any of my devices until I updated to the newest firmware again. I did this about 4 times before I gave up on downgrading.

So now I'm stuck on the newest firmware, I'll see if anything changes.

I have AX enabled, SmartConnect disabled, Port Scans and Dos Protection disabled, and QoS disabled.

Message 3 of 7
RsmCrazyGamer
Aspirant

Just as an update to this post.

After trying it out for a while it still loses connection every so often. In fact it has a pattern now. Everytime I start a game or youtube up, after a minute of me actively doing stuff with it (clicking buttons on youtube, moving around in the game) it will drop the connection. Then after that it will be stable for the rest of the time im using it. However, every two days or so the connection starts dropping in 4 second intervals which is extremely annoying and just forces me to stop using my computer.

I saw another solution online that wasn't part of the router. My ethernet port had 5 settings: 10 Full Duplex, 10 Half Duplex, 100 Full Duplex, 100 Half Duplex, and Auto Negotiation. I found out that while my ethernet port accpted 1Gb connections, it had no 1.0Gb Full Duplex option. The only option allowed above 100 Full Duplex was Auto Negotiation. I decided to buy a nice PCI ethernet adapter with gigabit duplex options to see if it helped. I just finished installing it and the software.

I'll update this post to see if it helps.

Message 4 of 7
RsmCrazyGamer
Aspirant

That was the fastest test i've ever done. It was definitely not my ethernet adapter that was the problem.

Message 5 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: RAX80 Keeps Cutting Internet Out For Ethernet

Hello RsmCrazyGamer, 

Thanks for taking the time to post. Have you tried enabling/disabling QoS or smart connect on the router. 

Christian 

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@RsmCrazyGamer wrote:

My ethernet port had 5 settings: 10 Full Duplex, 10 Half Duplex, 100 Full Duplex, 100 Half Duplex, and Auto Negotiation. I found out that while my ethernet port accpted 1Gb connections, it had no 1.0Gb Full Duplex option.

Perfectly correct: IEEE does require auto negotiation mandatory for 1GbE and up - fixed settings are not allowed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7